Taking long to load pages?

iflyrc5

I use IE version 11 on my Windows 7 machine. It seems that the last several weeks it has been taking much longer for the CC pages to load. Is anyone else experiences this? I don't seem to have this same delay with other forum type websites.

What Windows software (Chrome, Mozilla, firefox, etc.......) is everyone using to access CC and does one seem to work better than another?

You may want to consider installing Firefox or Chrome. Lots of users like Firefox as it is updated on a regular basis.

Plug-ins and add-ons can drastically slow your browser, so you may want to check and see if any of those are culprits.

You may also want to customize your CC experience by making sure that avatars and signatures are not displayed when you log in. Many posters have greatly exceeded the suggested requirements for signatures, for instance, and depending upon your internet speed, this can slow down CC loading.

Cruise Critic loads some very bandwidth and resource intensive things in the space below the header and in the right hand rail (right sidebar.)

From Google's Page Speed Insights Tool:

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fboards.cruisecritic.com%2Fforumdisplay.php%3Ff%3D171

The output is a little technical, but the basic gist is that the site is really slow. Also fails mobile friendly tests.

It's probably ad content. I'm using an older version of the "cruise critic" app on my iPad that runs the connection through an ad-blocking proxy, and everything loads fine except pages with lots of pics. On my desktop I use chrome with the ad-block plugin, also no problem there.

It's probably ad content. I'm using an older version of the "cruise critic" app on my iPad that runs the connection through an ad-blocking proxy, and everything loads fine except pages with lots of pics. On my desktop I use chrome with the ad-block plugin, also no problem there.

Yep. It's definitely the ad blocks, particularly the flash content ones.

It's definitely the ads and script. I get a window that opens and says do I want to stop script. I do have the avatar and signatures turned off but I don't know enough about computers to find the ad-blocking feature, so just suffer with the long loading time.

It's definitely the ads and script. I get a window that opens and says do I want to stop script. I do have the avatar and signatures turned off but I don't know enough about computers to find the ad-blocking feature, so just suffer with the long loading time.

:/ The main site has extremely aggressive ads, especially when you're trying to read reviews, some of the most annoying stuff I encounter in typical web browsing.

The other issue is that the ads often come from different ad networks across a bunch of servers. So, while you think you are just loading CC, you're also loading up a bunch of additional sites in the top and side frames. It's not always noticeable if you have a fast broadband connection, but if you are on a slow connection, look out. You really notice it if you are using CC on a ship. If you don't block the ads, you have a very slow CruiseCritic experience.