New To Norwegian; Questions?

curtdesilets

We just booked our 1st Norwegian Cruise. As a promotion, we chose the Standard Drink Package (up to $15 drinks, I think) and the Specialty Dining Package (4 meals?)

Can someone with experience with these things succinctly explain how those work?

On Celebrity, the Signature Drink package could be upgraded to Premium for about $10 per day. Does Norwegian do the same?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions! Looking forward to sailing with the Norwegians, as Celebrity is starting to flail badly.

There is only one adult beverage package on NCL, so there is nothing to upgrade to

The one you have includes most things anyway. There aren't many drinks which cost more than $15 (and you only pay the extra if you do manage to find something over that amount). Coffee isn't included (although it's fairly easy to get a free coffee anyway), so you would have to pay for things like a cappuccino, and neither is bottled water.

You basically buy your drinks as normal, but only get charged any port tax (if applicable, which it generally isn't) and any additional tip you choose to leave.

The dining package gives you four free meals in the speciality restaurants. This can be a little more complicated as on some of the newer ships there are some venues where you just get a discount. I'm sure there are others who can explain (and usually argue amongst themselves for pages) about these specific terms. For me, the only time I've ever had the dining package, it was simple. Just a few meals at no extra charge.

There is only one adult beverage package on NCL, so there is nothing to upgrade to

The one you have includes most things anyway. There aren't many drinks which cost more than $15 (and you only pay the extra if you do manage to find something over that amount). Coffee isn't included (although it's fairly easy to get a free coffee anyway), so you would have to pay for things like a cappuccino, and neither is bottled water.

You basically buy your drinks as normal, but only get charged any port tax (if applicable, which it generally isn't) and any additional tip you choose to leave.

The dining package gives you four free meals in the speciality restaurants. This can be a little more complicated as on some of the newer ships there are some venues where you just get a discount. I'm sure there are others who can explain (and usually argue amongst themselves for pages) about these specific terms. For me, the only time I've ever had the dining package, it was simple. Just a few meals at no extra charge.

Thanks Keith. Yes, on Celebrity, the "free" promotional drink package only covers $8 and under, and the gimmick is that if you exceed $8, you pay the full price. Their Premium is about identical to the one you mention here for Norwegian, all drinks up to $15 and if over $15, pay the difference. So this sounds good.

I need to figure out the restaurant situation. We have a hard time reserving days in advance, and yet we like to eat early. Every cruise line has a different way they handle dinner packages and reservations. You rarely want to get on a ship in which you have no idea what you are doing.

Sounds like the Steak Joint and the Japanese restaurant are good choices.

What ship are you on? That does make a bit of a difference on your planning.

I like Cagneys (steak) and Teppenyaki is fun. I would also recommend Le Bistro and Moderno, but obviously food is very subjective.

If you like to eat early then you shouldn't have too much trouble with reservations, although that can vary by ship and sometimes from cruise to cruise. We usually book onboard, but that can occasionally be a problem, specifically with Le Bistro and Teppenyaki.

One thing to remember is that if you have the package you can reserve in advance at no charge and can then change onboard if you want. You need to give 24 hours notice of cancellations, but if you are just making changes that can usually be done fairly late.

What ship are you on? That does make a bit of a difference on your planning.

I like Cagneys (steak) and Teppenyaki is fun. I would also recommend Le Bistro and Moderno, but obviously food is very subjective.

If you like to eat early then you shouldn't have too much trouble with reservations, although that can vary by ship and sometimes from cruise to cruise. We usually book onboard, but that can occasionally be a problem, specifically with Le Bistro and Teppenyaki.

One thing to remember is that if you have the package you can reserve in advance at no charge and can then change onboard if you want. You need to give 24 hours notice of cancellations, but if you are just making changes that can usually be done fairly late.

Thanks for the tips.

We are on Jewel, which is a smaller older ship, as I understand.

Thanks for the tips.

We are on Jewel, which is a smaller older ship, as I understand.

Yes, I've not been on the Jewel, but have been on the Jade and Pearl which are sister ships.

That does make your planning easier as most, if not all, of the venues which just have a discount when using the dining package are on newer ships than the Jewel.

You should just be able to pick your restaurants and enjoy your meal for no extra charge. Have fun. :)

I have a question about teppenyaki...can you order whatever you wish? Like if I wanted the seafood and steak? Or even like double order of shrimp? Would u just tell the waiter when ordering?

They have a menu and you choose what you want. I think they had a beef & shrimp combo. I don't think you can order "double" meat

I have a question about teppenyaki...can you order whatever you wish? Like if I wanted the seafood and steak? Or even like double order of shrimp? Would u just tell the waiter when ordering?

They have a menu of items and combinations. I have not been at a table where anyone ordered anything other than the menu items, but you can always ask and they will probably do it.

Edited by BirdTravels

Thanks for the tips. We are on Jewel, which is a smaller older ship, as I understand.

We were on the Jewel in July to Alaska. It is a great ship. It was in dry dock in May 2014 for a major refurbishment, so it has all of newer features. We had the old dining package (which gave us 7 nights of specialty dining) and enjoyed all of the restaurants. Enjoy! And ask if you have any other questions!

They have a menu and you choose what you want. I think they had a beef & shrimp combo. I don't think you can order "double" meat

Anything is negotiable. I have done it on multiple occasions. Just spoke with Maître D privately before being seated. We agreed on the up charge. Easy as pie.

And I always substitute veggies for rice. As I do not care for rice.

Edited by DMH15

Yes you can order what you want or a double, triple of even quadruple of everything and anything but you will then have to pay a double,triple or quadruple cover charge. I heard the guest seated next to me ask for that and he was told that an extra portion equals an extra cover charge.

We stuck to the menu options, but other people at our table ordered steak and lobster. I think you are allowed to create your own combo, but if you start asking for double portions of something, there could be a charge.

In my experience there has always been too much food and the chef encourages everyone to take a little more. We ended up tasting some of the filet even though we ordered the seafood combo.

We had a strange experience with a woman who did not speak any English and it took a long time to call a translator to take her order. Later, when she saw us being served lobster and scallops and calamari, she indicated that she wanted all of that, too (in addition to what she actually ordered). Since the chef couldn't communicate with her, he just ended up giving her some of our food. He did have more lobster brought out, so we got a little more of that. Earlier in the meal, this woman ordered a bunch of sushi from next door and every time they brought out a plate, she poked and sniffed at it and sent it back. She hardly ate anything, then she asked for more rice, and gestured for them to wrap up all her food (two bowls of rice and a huge pile of all of the meats, more than anyone else at the table had gotten). She asked for her keycard back while the rest of us were all still eating, and when they presented her with the bill, she refused to sign it and walked out!

Just goes to show that for all their rules and all their supposed nickel-and-diming, you can get away with anything on NCL and all charges are in fact discretionary :p

Edited by hawkeyetlse

We had a strange experience with a woman who did not speak any English and it took a long time to call a translator to take her order. Later, when she saw us being served lobster and scallops and calamari, she indicated that she wanted all of that, too (in addition to what she actually ordered). Since the chef couldn't communicate with her, he just ended up giving her some of our food. He did have more lobster brought out, so we got a little more of that. Earlier in the meal, this woman ordered a bunch of sushi from next door and every time they brought out a plate, she poked and sniffed at it and sent it back. She hardly ate anything, then she asked for more rice, and gestured for them to wrap up all her food (two bowls of rice and a huge pile of all of the meats, more than anyone else at the table had gotten). She asked for her keycard back while the rest of us were all still eating, and when they presented her with the bill, she refused to sign it and walked out!:p

There's one in every crowd. We've had our share of peculiar dinner mates, but I think your's takes the cake. :D

We just booked our 1st Norwegian Cruise. As a promotion, we chose the Standard Drink Package (up to $15 drinks, I think) and the Specialty Dining Package (4 meals?)

Can someone with experience with these things succinctly explain how those work?

We were on the Gem, a sister ship, in October. We did make reservations for the specialty restaurants, but we had a 7 night package and wanted to get them all in. We ate early at a couple of them. I don't drink enough to make a beverage package worthwhile, but the few drinks I did order were all under $15, including some acceptable Scotch.

You can change the reservations while on board so no worries there. I would go ahead and reserve at least Teppanaki, as it is limited seating for each "show".

I don't know if your past experience has been that you have a set dining time or not. When we travel on Disney or Princess it is easy to have dinner early and see the show late, or vice versa. It is possible to arrange a dinner on NCL so that you miss the shows entirely! It's just something to keep in mind.

We haven't sailed Celebrity so I can't make a comparison. We like NCL better than both Princess and Disney, but always enjoy our cruises no matter which line.

We were on the Gem, a sister ship, in October. We did make reservations for the specialty restaurants, but we had a 7 night package and wanted to get them all in. We ate early at a couple of them. I don't drink enough to make a beverage package worthwhile, but the few drinks I did order were all under $15, including some acceptable Scotch.

You can change the reservations while on board so no worries there. I would go ahead and reserve at least Teppanaki, as it is limited seating for each "show".

I don't know if your past experience has been that you have a set dining time or not. When we travel on Disney or Princess it is easy to have dinner early and see the show late, or vice versa. It is possible to arrange a dinner on NCL so that you miss the shows entirely! It's just something to keep in mind.

We haven't sailed Celebrity so I can't make a comparison. We like NCL better than both Princess and Disney, but always enjoy our cruises no matter which line.

Thanks for the tips. I think we will pre-book all 4 of our specialty meals, just to be safe.