evening attire ?

hlsess

He is almost 21. Happy to dress up but doesn't want him to look too nice. My mother can't seem to understand how casual it is. She goes on small shios where you dress each night. Thank goodness she isn't coming !!

ROFL ... why is she getting her knickers in a twist over the blazer if she isn't even going on the cruise?

ROFL ... why is she getting her knickers in a twist over the blazer if she isn't even going on the cruise?

That's funny. I was thinking the same thing. My mother has no knowledge whatsoever of what is in my luggage when I travel, and she couldn't care less. Why would she?

Edited by LrgPizza

Sad to say, but last year on the Sun - MDR guests often dined in tee shirts & shorts. Not a deal closer, but a little uncomfortable[emoji19]

I'm actually beginning to get somewhat apprehensive about our upcoming Jan sailing on NCL. we've never sailed NCL before, but have about 15 cruises under our belt, mostly on Celebrity and HAL. we knew NCL was certainly more relaxed, but did not know that would translate into shorts and t-shirts in the dining rooms for dinner. I can appreciate that not everyone wants to bring dress clothes, but it does seem intriguing that most would opt not to meet a business casual standard, no? We're talking basic khakis and a button down shirt.....

Just seems to me that when one is in a formal dining space and the waitstaff serves formally and is dressed formally, it's incongruous to have folks in football jerseys. We may have made an error with this cruise..... :(

I'm actually beginning to get somewhat apprehensive about our upcoming Jan sailing on NCL. we've never sailed NCL before, but have about 15 cruises under our belt, mostly on Celebrity and HAL. we knew NCL was certainly more relaxed, but did not know that would translate into shorts and t-shirts in the dining rooms for dinner. I can appreciate that not everyone wants to bring dress clothes, but it does seem intriguing that most would opt not to meet a business casual standard, no? We're talking basic khakis and a button down shirt.....

Just seems to me that when one is in a formal dining space and the waitstaff serves formally and is dressed formally, it's incongruous to have folks in football jerseys. We may have made an error with this cruise..... :(

Oh brother... People in shorts and t-shirts are there, but certainly the minority. Yes, if you are looking for them, you will be sure to spot each and every one. How about you just enjoy your cruise and pay attention to yourself?

Personally, I'm more likely to notice the woman wearing what she believes is a nice dress, although it's 2 sizes too small, 6 inches too short, and 30 years too young for her. :p I see just as many people who think they are dressed up looking ridiculous as people in shorts and t-shirts.

I don't usually chime in on dress code threads. Having been on RCL and Celebrity - NCL's dress code is by far the most relaxed. If you are used to celebrity (pre their new elegant night :)) your best bet if you are on epic or an away ship, is the aft dining rooms where last I checked shorts aren't allowed. I believe the same for Le Bistro.

How other people dress does not concern me or take a moment away from my enjoyment of the cruise, but I think going in expecting one thing and getting another could be disappointing.

Edit - the aft dining room might not be true anymore - this was before my epic cruise which was 5 years ago.

Edited by queenschick9b

Scott, I was surprised too. Someone sent me a link to their dress policy but others explained it is even more lax than this:

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/what-to-pack

I'm with you - I think it is rude to ruin the atmosphere of a dining experience for other people. That said, I am planning on packing less formal (summer maxi dresses vs. cocktail dresses).

If I want to "dress up" for an evening I will go to the aft MDR or le Bistro which is where I suggest anyone who wants to see and be seen "dressed up" goes to dine.

Under normal circumstances I will eat in the 'midships' MDR where I can enjoy my meal and company dressed as I feel more comfortable.

To really stir up those who do not understand the dress codes in the Antipodes how about the following.

When my third daughter was getting married I asked about my mode of dress. The other two had instructed me to wear a suit when they got married. This one said " I forbid you to wear a suit; my father does not wear a suit ever!!" I think I looked very smart in a white shirt with a tie; formal black shorts; long Scottish hose and highly polished black leather shoes.

Surely each to his own.

Mike

How people wish to dress is their concern as I really don't look. I like to focus my attention on the company I am with. NCL has a minimal set of dress codes and that is why we sail with them and why I never cruised before 2008. I was anxious about how others would judge me. Since then I have relaxed a little and made many good friends from all walks of life.

It seems that judging a book by it's cover is how some of you roll.

What does that mean? You know a lot of people Cruise Norwegian because you don't have to dress up and be all snooty and pompous.

Judging people by what they wear is snooty and pompous. Wear what ever makes you happy but don't assume I'm snooty and pompous because I choose to dress up (or not).

Judging people by what they wear is snooty and pompous. Wear what ever makes you happy but don't assume I'm snooty and pompous because I choose to dress up (or not).

I didn't say you were I said I don't want to dress snooty and pompous. I didn't even referred to a person I referred to the attire as pompous lol

That's a really good question. Bc she is a widow and has nothing else to do. Haha!! He will bring a little of everything minus the damn blazer!!!

yes I know it is freestyle and you can wear what you want but do most dress decent at night-nice shirts/blazer for men and dresses/ nice pants for ladies- Or do you see people in mainly jeans/tshirts- my mother insists that my son brings a navy blazer....and I've told her times it is a casual cruise!! We will be on The Epic over Christmas

We were on the Pearl last year for the Christmas/New Year's cruise.

Especially on Christmas (eve & day) and New Year's Eve, there were quite a few people who were very "dressed up" - especially for New Year's Eve.

It was quite different from the previous NCL sailing the previous September.

But there were plenty of people who weren't.

As of last year, the aft MDR was "less casual" than the mid MDR.

However, there were still some folks who were very informal anyway in the aft MDR.

But once people are seated, which is what is happening most of the time in the dining room, it's not quite so obvious.

But if you want to wear shorts to dinner, that's fine, and no one will bat an eyelash if you are in the less formal dining room.

We think it is actually quite nice that NCL has two "main dining rooms" on their ships, for this purpose.

But mainly, enjoy YOUR cruise, and let others enjoy theirs.

There will be a wide spectrum of "dress styles" on board.

GeezerCouple

We were on the Pearl last year for the Christmas/New Year's cruise.

Especially on Christmas (eve & day) and New Year's Eve, there were quite a few people who were very "dressed up" - especially for New Year's Eve.

It was quite different from the previous NCL sailing the previous September.

But there were plenty of people who weren't.

As of last year, the aft MDR was "less casual" than the mid MDR.

However, there were still some folks who were very informal anyway in the aft MDR.

But once people are seated, which is what is happening most of the time in the dining room, it's not quite so obvious.

But if you want to wear shorts to dinner, that's fine, and no one will bat an eyelash if you are in the less formal dining room.

We think it is actually quite nice that NCL has two "main dining rooms" on their ships, for this purpose.

But mainly, enjoy YOUR cruise, and let others enjoy theirs.

There will be a wide spectrum of "dress styles" on board.

GeezerCouple

Really? New Year's Eve is supposed to be wild and crazy, that's when more clothes come off not on lol.

Really? New Year's Eve is supposed to be wild and crazy, that's when more clothes come off not on lol.

On NYE cruises I usually see a lot of formal wear/tuxes on men or suits and cocktail dresses. It's a fun night to dress up. Been on many different lines. People are having fun. I've never seen anyone start stripping on deck. The average cruiser body...would not be a good sight for that. Whatever you choose to dress in is fine really. Don't worry about it so much.

We just finished our cruise on the Gem. I always dress for dinner, and get a chance to wear my maxidresses and bling, instead of work clothes. Hubby wears khaki's and sportshirt, sometimes sportcoat. We had our picture taken with Captain Lars. He commented how nice I looked, so I took the opportunity to ask his opinion of the dress code. He said management and senior officers prefer a more formal dress in the evening but impossible to enforce. I'm thinking it would be bad for business, because it would chase away the majority of passengers these days.

It was rather interesting to be waiting to get into Cagney's with other couples dressed nicely, when along comes a few Joe 6-pack's in their shorts and flip flips. Low class for sure, but I guess that is the trend for cruising :(

Edited by Cruisen'Susan

It was rather interesting to be waiting to get into Cagney's with other couples dressed nicely' date=' when along comes a few Joe 6-pack's in their shorts and flip flips. Low class for sure, but I guess that is the trend for cruising :([/quote']It was interesting on my recent cruise... While in Cagney's there was a table of adults in shorts, which was strange since it had been pretty cool the entire trip, and hardly anyone was wearing shorts day or night. That was the only reason I noticed the shorts. What I couldn't help but notice was the couple (probably in their 30's) who were dressed up all fancy. He looked smashing in his suit. She looked like a 2-bit whore in her super low cut dress with her breasts nearly fully exposed, and just enough material to barely cover her nipples. I'm sure she thought she looked gorgeous, but I'd much rather be dining in a room full of t-shirts and shorts. They were much classier than her idea of an evening gown.

I guess my point is that some of us have different ideas of what constitutes "low class", as you say. Sometimes all the expensive jewels in the world can't hide the trash.

Edited by LrgPizza