Official Word On Escape - Margaritaville and UDP

CruiseCouple02

I agree. We are looking for a cruise at the end of May for my birthday. It's between the Escape, Getaway, and Oasis. We're probably going with Oasis. They are all priced in the same ball park. However, once you add the service charge and all the onboard charges and increases from NCL this year it will come out to be more $$ if we went on Getaway or Escape.

I loved my Norwegian cruises in the past, but all the changes and potential changes that could be coming are steering me away from booking with them for fear of "what's next?"

The fear of the unknown. Hope you enjoy your Oasis cruise.

I agree. We are looking for a cruise at the end of May for my birthday. It's between the Escape, Getaway, and Oasis. We're probably going with Oasis. They are all priced in the same ball park. However, once you add the service charge and all the onboard charges and increases from NCL this year it will come out to be more $$ if we went on Getaway or Escape.

I loved my Norwegian cruises in the past, but all the changes and potential changes that could be coming are steering me away from booking with them for fear of "what's next?"

I keep seeing these posts about comparable costs. I just looked at Oasis for the same suite I have on Norwegian and the room on Oasis is a little over $3K more than I'm paying. And the room is much smaller. I don't know if Oasis has dedicated Butlers and the other "perks" that NCL has? Are there perks on Oasis that make a $3,000 increase in price worth it? We continue to look at top end suites on other lines to see if there are other alternatives for future cruises. I never find anything. Someone pointed us toward MSC a while back and the prices were even higher.

I keep seeing these posts about comparable costs. I just looked at Oasis for the same suite I have on Norwegian and the room on Oasis is a little over $3K more than I'm paying. And the room is much smaller. I don't know if Oasis has dedicated Butlers and the other "perks" that NCL has? Are there perks on Oasis that make a $3,000 increase in price worth it? We continue to look at top end suites on other lines to see if there are other alternatives for future cruises. I never find anything. Someone pointed us toward MSC a while back and the prices were even higher.

Confusing the issue with facts.

But you have to keep in mind, that you would be paying 1/2 the price for a burger, so that will probably make the huge difference in price a-ok!!:D

When it comes to suites, Norwegian is well worth it. I don't know of any line that treats it's suite guests as well as Norwegian.

I don't sail in suites, so for me that's not an area I focus on. Everyone vacations differently. So we all have to compare cruises in a different way :)

I pretty much think it's not just the burger prices that people are upset about. It's about this whole roller coaster year since FDR took over and all the things that were purchased included when the cruise was booked to what it is now.

What other line has gone through so many changes in such a short time?

So saying it's about burgers is trivializing it.

100% correct.

The vast majority of guests are not staying in the "top end suites," myself included. The pricing for standard accommodates -- such as a standard balcony cabin that exists on all lines -- are in the same ballpark these days, which makes for a more even comparison.

Just yesterday I was pricing out Bermuda cruises for next May and comparing standard balcony accommodations on Breakaway and Anthem of the Seas for 7 night itineraries (Anthem's was a one-off Bermuda and Boston sailing as her Bermuda sailings are usually 5-nights). The prices were very, very close for standard balcony accommodations. We chose Breakaway because we just did 12-nights on Anthem, NCL was including the UDP and four night SDP, and we had a future cruise certificate to use, but not without serious apprehension about what changes NCL will make between now and May to devalue or increase the cost of the product we're purchasing. Customers having that kind of apprehension should be concerning to NCL. If we did not have that future cruise certificate, which I frankly regret purchasing, we might have swung to Anthem despite the added inclusions on Breakaway.

Edited by Dave85

I'm on board right now. Yes they are charging as of today BUT UDP gets it free! Now SDP will take a credit but UDP has no charge and can still eat at another place later in the day. Hope this helps :)

Good to know as we're on board too. We walked over there this morning (i think late morning but didn't ask DH for the time) and was basically dead though it could be it wasn't open. I'd like to try the key lime pie but at this point Food Republic is my priority :).

I pretty much think it's not just the burger prices that people are upset about. It's about this whole roller coaster year since FDR took over and all the things that were purchased included when the cruise was booked to what it is now.

What other line has gone through so many changes in such a short time?

So saying it's about burgers is trivializing it.

Let's see:

1. Nickelodeon gone
  2. Geoffrey Zakarian gone
  3. 18% gratuity on specialty dining
  4. DSC raised twice
  5. drink prices raised
  6. 18% gratuity on drinks
  7. 18% gratuity on food/coffee purchases ( Java Cafe/Carlo's/gelato etc)
  8. Asian Noodle restaurant complimentary but reduced menu
  9. Hippo Slide on GSC gone
  10. Fireworks gone
  11. UDP is now SDP
  12. Room service $7.95 except for a much smaller limited "continental breakfast"
  13. Blue Man Group gone
  14. Now pay taxes on "free" UBP/SDP
  15. No more kids pricing in specialty restaurants
  16. Port times shortened on a number of itineraries "for your convenience"
  17. No more free Cirque or Illusionarium on first night with dining package

And now Margaritaville. Did I miss anything?

Edited by Sizzlechest

Let's see:

1. Nickelodeon gone
  4. DSC raised twice
  5. drink prices raised
  10. Fireworks gone
  11. UDP is now SDP
  12. Room service $7.95 except for a much smaller limited "continental breakfast"
  13. Blue Man Group gone

Didn't Carlo's Bakery lose it's endorsement from the Cake Boss and go generic as well? And you missed the cover charge being replaced by à la carte pricing for most specialty restaurants.

Edited by [g]cruiserke

When it comes to suites, Norwegian is well worth it. I don't know of any line that treats it's suite guests as well as Norwegian.

I don't sail in suites, so for me that's not an area I focus on. Everyone vacations differently. So we all have to compare cruises in a different way :)

Royal Caribbean suite perks rock especially on Oasis class & new ships!

Didn't Carlo's Bakery lose it's endorsement from the Cake Boss and go generic as well? And you missed the cover charge being replaced by à la carte pricing for most specialty restaurants.

Wait, I thought the à la carte pricing was for people who didn't purchase the SDP? If so, I can't knock them for that since all it does is add an additional option. If menu items that were part of the SDP/UDP are now a charge on top of the cover, then that's an issue.

Asian Noodle restaurant complimentary but reduced menu <-- is that a minus? although we went and my kids comment was that instant noodles tasted better

Fireworks gone <--- never really saw it, so out of sight, out of mind....

UDP is now SDP <--- not to mention it used to be everyone in the cabin, every night but now only the 1st two and not every night

Blue Man Group gone <--- only on the Epic

Now pay taxes on "free" UBP/SDP <--- is that just the pre-tip? not tax

No more kids pricing in specialty restaurants <--- I get this, some kids eat as much as an adult, so why not??

Let's see:

1. Nickelodeon gone
  4. DSC raised twice
  5. drink prices raised
  10. Fireworks gone
  11. UDP is now SDP
  13. Blue Man Group gone

To be honest these are actually the reasons why I turned from cruising NCL/RCCL to cruising RCCL/Celebrity.

NCL is where I sailed often first (Hawaii and Alaska IT's) and already reached Lattitudes Gold when I was just entry level Gold member at RCCL's C&A.

Since the new NCL CEO took over, I avoided NCL to point that I am now Diamond with RCCL C&A and still stuck at Lattitudes Gold with NCL...another reason is RCCL took good care of me so got my loyalty from NCL.

I do have only 1 booked cruise with NCL for next year but still short of becoming Platinum..

I have longed planned of taking Alaska again next year with NCL with Jewel to finally reach Platinum... but due to all of these added up... I ended up booking Alaska with Celebrity Solstice instead of NCL Jewel as initially planned.

and I recall I do have plans to sail the Epic for Europe but stopped short when I heard the Blue Man group is gone... now might not sail Epic anymore as RCCL's Harmony of the Seas, which is biggest cruise ship in the world, will soon go there sailing the same IT as the Epic...

Still don't know when is my next cruise with NCL after the one next year.. but in contrast, I currently have 5 booked cruises with RCCL, 2 with Celebrity...

NCL just got left out....

Edited by roquejo

Asian Noodle restaurant complimentary but reduced menu <-- is that a minus? although we went and my kids comment was that instant noodles tasted better

I'm sure the the taste of the noodles is directly linked to the elimination of other items on the menu.

Fireworks gone <--- never really saw it, so out of sight, out of mind....

Sorry you missed out.

UDP is now SDP <--- not to mention it used to be everyone in the cabin, every night but now only the 1st two and not every night

Was it? I thought the UDP was always only first two passengers?

Blue Man Group gone <--- only on the Epic

What ship is Blue Man Group on now?

Now pay taxes on "free" UBP/SDP <--- is that just the pre-tip? not tax

I think you're right. But tip was included before.

No more kids pricing in specialty restaurants <--- I get this, some kids eat as much as an adult, so why not??

Even an 8 year old?

Just my thought on this having cruised last week and did this with the Food Republic discount for UDP: If you print out the page now that says it is "complimentary" and take it with you on the ship, you will get your money back when you show it to Guest Services. They gave me no hassle about getting my UDP 25% discount for Food Republic, but I had to show them proof.

I can't resist posting the following, although I know it's slightly off topic.

Many posters recently have stated that staff on the NCL ships are disenaged/confused/not helpful - whatever words you want to use to describe it.

If NCL is going to manage by trial balloon like this, and change the rules at will and let their employees deal with the fallout, it's no wonder the employees are not feeling particularly motivated.

This affects the passengers. The passengers pay. i get that. But honestly, what a way to manage a staff!

Must agree. The suits make the calls and the staff pays the price. Not impressed with Norwegian's management of this ship!

It seems like only a few days ago I read a quote from Del Rio about how if Margaritaville got too crowded they were going to start charging. And then BOOM they did it just like that. It is unwise to use the logic that if a venue is crowded we should charge for it. The main pool is pretty damn crowded, should we pay an entrance fee for that? It's just burgers and other casual stuff they're serving and so I don't see the prices are justified like they are in a specialty dining venue with seafood, prime steaks, etc. I like NCL overall and will likely sail them again so long as they keep giving away drink packages which saves us tons of money. But it's getting to the point with all these upcharges, increases, and downgrades that it's leaving a sour taste in the mouth of otherwise understanding passengers such as myself. Enough is getting to be enough already. It reminds me of the mindset of someone who is selling a home. They get a full ask offer and instead of taking it, they suddenly think, if someone will pay full price they'll probably pay more than full price if I ask for it because they really want this house. That is what it seems Del Rio is thinking about just about everything.