Concerns re: booking a cruise after Repo

dirtymoney

Should I be concerned about booking a Caribbean cruise which will be the first voyage after the ship returns from a TA?

Will the ship have a major turnover in staff and if so could this create some problems for us? Also, is the staff burned out or re-energized after a repo?

I'd like to hear from those of you who have taken the first cruise after the ship has returned from a TA and hear about what you encountered. Even better would be to hear from those of you that have done B2B with the repo voyage first.

I don't think you should be overly concerned, just be aware of situations that have happened in the past. We have been on the last 2 Reflection TA's from Europe to the US, B2B with the following Caribbean cruises. There have been significant delays with disembarkation and embarkation. If you are aware of this, take this into consideration and do not arrive at the port too early, you will be fine. There was a change over in some crew, however this did not affect the service at any level.

Not an issue. The crew are all on contracts that range from 3 - 9 months. There is not a huge turnover just because of a repo.

Hank

Actually, this isn't exactly true....there does seem to be more crew and officer changes just before and just after repositioning cruises. Service the first day out is, in our experience, generally a bit less good due to the new folks learning their jobs on the ship. By the second day, all is well again.

I also agree that there seems to be large turn over of staff on repo's which happen at the end of seasons.

There tends to be a large percentage who leave at the beginning of the repo so they have time to train in coming new staff during the 2 weeks of a TA and then once the ship hits Europe, America or whatever they bring on more new staff.

TA 's are not enjoyed by most staff as there are limited port days so no escape from passengers and their demands during all those sea days so heavier work loads.

This turn over does not necessarily mean the service will be bad but there have been lots of reports of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just did the Reflection TA and following 7day Caribbean. As said, there can be and were delays in those boarding for the 7 day Cruise. There also was some staff turnover but did not really create any issues for us.

Only suggestion I would make is to not rush to the Ship early and bring along some patience. Then enjoy your Cruise.