Grandeur room 7644...avoid it

Just got off of the Thanksgiving Cruise on the Grandeur. I had booked 2 connecting balcony rooms...7642 and 7644. My sons stayed in 7642, and DH and I stayed in 7644. We had issues all week long with the wind noise in 7644. There was actually a gap in the sliding glass door to the balcony. The wind was strong enough to blow the curtain around while the door was closed and locked. I stopped at guest services on day 2, because the wind noise was insane. Maintenance came up, and added some caulking to the door, to close the gap. That solved the actual breeze that was coming through, but did nothing for the wind noise. I finally came to the conclusion that the ship is just OLD and there's nothing to be done about it. I would recommend that anyone looking to book this room, should avoid it. :rolleyes:

:confused: What? I am sorry...I don't understand. RCCL is responsible for the wind? Am I missing something? Was it just your cabin? No other cabins had wind sounds? Did your child...or it just did not wake him/her up. Was it every night?

There were NO wind sounds in 7642. The noise was coming from the gap in the balcony door of 7644. Looked like it needed to be torn apart, and have the weather stripping redone. It just didn't seal correctly. And yes, it was very windy, but I had no issue with that. It was the whistling sound that it made coming into the gaps of the door. Whenever I would open the balcony door an inch or more, the sound would stop. It made me want to just leave it open, but then that would have caused issues of wind noise in the hallways...lol. :rolleyes:

The maintenance guy tried his best. He put caulking in the areas where he could see gaps. But in the end, even he just shrugged and said "it's an old ship." Luckily, I sleep well with background noise, so it didn't drive me too crazy at night. But, even while we were in port, it was making noise. The crew called this the "wind-cursed cruise"...lol. Even while sitting at the dock, we were having 30-35 mph winds. It was just a bad cruise to have a leaking balcony door... :D

There were NO wind sounds in 7642. The noise was coming from the gap in the balcony door of 7644. Looked like it needed to be torn apart, and have the weather stripping redone. It just didn't seal correctly. And yes, it was very windy, but I had no issue with that. It was the whistling sound that it made coming into the gaps of the door. Whenever I would open the balcony door an inch or more, the sound would stop. It made me want to just leave it open, but then that would have caused issues of wind noise in the hallways...lol. :rolleyes:

This is a classic case of what happens when folks jam things into the door jam to keep the door open. This tends to warp the hinges on swing doors, and bends the tracks on sliding doors. This requires the entire door frame be taken down and the jamb/track straightened, if possible, or renewed. This would require the cabin be taken out of inventory for at least one cruise.

I just returned from the Granduer Thankagiving cruise. Irish Stepper is right. The Granduer is showing her age. My grandson seriously cut his leg getting out of the pool .He will have a nasty looking permanent scar. This happened the first sea day. It basically ruined his cruise. Sorry to say the cruise line never fixed the rusted step until another child was injured 3 days later. I too had wind noises in my cabin 8001. Very disappointed in Royal Caribbean

I just returned from the Granduer Thankagiving cruise. Irish Stepper is right. The Granduer is showing her age. My grandson seriously cut his leg getting out of the pool .He will have a nasty looking permanent scar. This happened the first sea day. It basically ruined his cruise. Sorry to say the cruise line never fixed the rusted step until another child was injured 3 days later. I too had wind noises in my cabin 8001. Very disappointed in Royal Caribbean

Sorry to hear about your grandson. I also cut my foot, but it was on the Solarium swinging door. A girl went through it, and just let it close on me, and it caught the edge of my foot. Fortunately, it's not bad enough to scar. It just made wearing heels, a little more uncomfortable. That'll teach me to wear flip flops around all day. :rolleyes:

This is a classic case of what happens when folks jam things into the door jam to keep the door open. This tends to warp the hinges on swing doors, and bends the tracks on sliding doors. This requires the entire door frame be taken down and the jamb/track straightened, if possible, or renewed. This would require the cabin be taken out of inventory for at least one cruise.

It was really hard to open and close, too. The track was definitely out of whack.

We were in that room last month and had the same problem with wind noise coming from the door. We just took one of the daily papers, folded it and fitted it into the track of the door making it seal properly. Worked great! We only did this at night since that was the only time it bothered us.

Grandeur definitely needs some work on those doors.

We were in that room last month and had the same problem with wind noise coming from the door. We just took one of the daily papers, folded it and fitted it into the track of the door making it seal properly. Worked great! We only did this at night since that was the only time it bothered us.

Grandeur definitely needs some work on those doors.

I wish I would have thought of that one! Instead, I used one of the papers to put into the top left desk drawer that kept opening and slamming shut...lol. :cool:

• 1 year later...
Yeah, but I think "hey, is this still a problem?" is a valid reason to resurrect a thread. (or at least more valid than the randos who just comment on long-dormant threads)

My reason for the notice in these threads is just that, for people to notice it is an old thread - I make no judgement for its revival.

Biker, who would like every one to search and use existing threads instead of creating new ones.