Love the new on board app!

Bisous3

LOVE the on-board app. I used it in June on the Royal - hubby wouldn't have anything to do with it! Then I used it again last month on the Emerald - seemed to work better and hubby decided he would give it a try and he liked it.:eek: The IM worked great too!

... And if you were using your minutes and the connection stopped, there was no way to turn off your use of minutes as you couldn't access the site. I hope they can fix this so if the connection fails, the internet use stops. I'd much rather log in again than lose minutes.

Good to know. Thanks!

I believe I would still use the Patter. To see what I want to do the same with the wife The only thing that I would use for is to let the wife now where I am at. Same with here.

I liked it for my IPad, but found it only worked when there was an internet connection on the Grand. And if you were using your minutes and the connection stopped, there was no way to turn off your use of minutes as you couldn't access the site. I hope they can fix this so if the connection fails, the internet use stops. I'd much rather log in again than lose minutes.

This is a real problem. Using internet minutes on a device (as apposed to one of the PCs in the Internet cafe) requires logging on to Princess@Sea first and then logging on to the internet. P@S kept logging me off the app but not the internet. It was a big hassle on the Crown this last week.

Just off the crown.

App is not needed or even helpful

Put your phone in airplane mode. This will disable wifi so you must manually turn it on. Connect to ships wifi. Open your browser. You should now be on the ships site to access the patter. If not go to your ship.princess.com. Accessing your account will require you to register. All was free and easy. (iPhone)

Edited by Patty2005

This is a real problem. Using internet minutes on a device (as apposed to one of the PCs in the Internet cafe) requires logging on to Princess@Sea first and then logging on to the internet. P@S kept logging me off the app but not the internet. It was a big hassle on the Crown this last week.

Others have posted the same experience.

I was on royal last week, and logged only once or twice, and

was able to access internet as needed - without logging in again.

I was reading the events one morning, on my phone -- we see

we have 5 minutes to get to trivia at 10:30. We hustle.

They are reading the answers when we get there.

Trivia started at 10:00

Right time in the paper patter, wrong time in the P@S events.

On the other hand, when I bought a drink in a resturant, I

could see it posted to my folio (on the phone) before the

drink even arrived at the table.

And, my ADD checking of my account did pay off, when a $40

mis-charge showed up.

Edited by pablo222

App is not needed or even helpful

With the android app, you get notifications ... with sound!

That's the good news.

The bad news is they are pretty useless.

You have to be connected to shipboard wifi to send/receive a message.

You have to be connected to the internet to get a notification.

If I'm connected to the internet, I can just use viber or whatsapp

or facebook messenger to message...

Without notification, you have to look at the browser for a new message.

Thoughtfully, the browser is polling like crazy for you.

( I didn't verify on the android browser, but on a pc browser, they are

polling every 10 seconds for your new message count. )

I really don't understand what the developers were thinking.

For the current system to work, they need to allow Google Cloud messages

to pass inbound to the shipboard system.

Maybe that's in a plan for some faster satellite connection...

Fingers crossed!

Edited by pablo222

• 1 month later...

For those wanting to see future days activities in advance, they usually don't finalize the patter for the next day until late afternoon. Then it's a scramble to get the various departments to give their ok, print and distribute. Though repeating 7 day cruises would see little change except for the date, weather and new guest entertainers.

Is it best to download it ahead of time and get familiar or just do it when you get there?

Downloading an app was originally necessary to use the texting function with other passengers but as Colo Cruiser posted it's unnecessary to have the app because as soon as you open your web browser you'll go to the free Princess@Sea intranet system.

No app needed!

You don't need to download anything.

Its works automatically when you log in onboard.

Its really not complicated and very simple to use.

On my most recent cruise they added a function to purchase FCDs from my mobile devices so we didn't have to fill out & submit a paper request.

Is it best to download it ahead of time and get familiar or just do it when you get there?

You can't do anything with the app in advance.

It just puts up a splash screen that says "try it on board one of our ships"

There is little point to downloading the app. It does

receive notifications, but they only work when you are

connected to the internet.

Actually you do need to down load the app, That's what make the "program" that automatically pops up fully functional. Be sure and opt for push notifications and adjust your settings accordingly. Most smart phones and tabs gave push notifications somewhere in the setting menu, but if you don't, you can download an app. On android devices you can down load Pushbullet if you are using chrome or the Desktop Notifications app from Google Play for other browsers. They both will work with princess at sea you just need only one, so you might as well have one that works when connected to the internet at home.

Once you learn to manage push notifications you will wonder how you lived without them

On IOS you should have Apple Push Notification service (APNs) on your device and you just need set it up. If not you can get Pushbullet for IOS from the app store. Getting push notifications one of the main advantages of downloading and installing the actual app from either the app store or play store befor While the messenger service can be utilized without the app, downloading the app is recommended to take full advantage of the push notificationse you leave. You won't need the internet to get your notifications (either that or my family is really lucky)

Either way you need to have downloaded the actual Pricess at Sea app. The folks telling you, you don't need it (They tell you it comes up automatically) are likely the folks complaining about not getting notifications or haven't ever set up their push notifications. The app allows you to use the all the features of the program that pops up on your device. Princess at sea is a push bullet type application that uses wifi but not the internet to connect devices to each other. You do it with your home wifi system all the time.

Like a lot of stuff coming from Princess the information you need is hidden in the " press release":

The new Princess Cruises Messenger App is now available on selected ships*!Key Messenger Features Include:-Free onboard messaging to other guests onboard-Push notifications on your device when you receive a message-Contacts incorporated for ease of messaging-Automatically connects to Princess@Sea once onboardNow you can instantly connect with other guests onboard during your cruise with Princess! No more walking the ship in search of friends or family. Whether its planning drinks after dinner, or just letting them know where you are, the Princess@Sea Messenger makes it easier to touch base with other guests onboard.The Messenger works seamlessly with Princess@Sea, our industry-leading, complimentary onboard mobile service that provides real time useful information on the ship events, activities, restaurants, ports and more! While the messenger service can be utilized without the app, downloading the app is recommended to take full advantage of the push notifications.The app can be downloaded for free prior to boarding. The purchase of an internet package may be necessary to download once onboard and at sea

Edited by TNTLAMB

Thanks TNTLAMB for the info & Princess now has that info on a webpage:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/princess-at-sea/

It does say to download the Princess@Sea Messenger app to use the messenger function.

There have been several changes since they implemented the P@S intranet & going there on my most recent cruise using my web browser it immediately allowed me to use Messenger. But based on your statements & the Princess website that is only possible because we have the Princess@Sea Messenger app on our phones.

We received texts from each other & I just confirmed that the Messenger app is set up for notifications. It's good that Messenger now seamlessly works with the P@S intranet which originally was not true on our phones.

Thanks again...it's always good to learn something new.

Edited by Astro Flyer

They still don't have the app for the most advanced phones, only iPhone and Android. However, you can still use it by using your normal browser. The app worked well on my Android tablet also, taking you directly to the website.

On our last cruise (Royal Princess), I used it on my phone (while in airplane mode, of course), but mostly it is just to give you the onboard events schedule. Messaging others requires a specific number that isn't available after the first logon. Bit of a problem there if you are cruising with other couples. But the other person in the same stateroom connected automatically.

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

I put our original copy of the Patter on the wall of our stateroom with our magnets, and pick up an extra copy at services desk to put in my pocket.

We just ask our cabin steward when we first meet him/her to please leave two copies each evening.

anybody know if this messenger app will work if you take your SIM card out. AT&T recommended removing my SIM in order to make sure there was no data usage while on the ship. Said I could still use the ships wifi that way.

Yes, it will.

That is a good way to make sure you don't use any data;

especially with kids.

I'm just going to send 1 text, mom...

Just returned from the Regal and I love the new app you can load on your smartphone. You can access your account, see all the activities (basically everything that's in the Patter) and my favorite feature- messaging! I was able to message my family throughout the day to let them know my whereabouts, which table we were seated at, etc. It's terrific!

Thanks but we rather not carry our phones around, it's vacation time.