NCL Pride Of America 2016 Refurb

mattson

A little harsh in an earlier post. Just another CC member doing their best to share the news. Thanks for the clarification though.

Sorry... I didn't mean to be snotty.

You can link to Facebook - Like NCL's Facebook page, for example:

https://www.facebook.com/Norwegiancruiseline/

You're just not allowed to direct CC users to a FB roll call type group/page.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=rollcalls#faq_fb

Moving right along.....:)

here is the link to the other FB page where I found the electrical pics.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bae-Systems-Ship-Yard/170228426342390?fref=ts

I clicked on the name of the person posting the electrical pics and that's where I saw the laundry room pics.

No I have nothing better to do.....my bags are half packed already :p

Moving right along.....:)

here is the link to the other FB page where I found the electrical pics.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bae-Systems-Ship-Yard/170228426342390?fref=ts

I clicked on the name of the person posting the electrical pics and that's where I saw the laundry room pics.

No I have nothing better to do.....my bags are half packed already :p

Keith is one of the POA's Electrical Engineers, I know him from back in the Pride of Aloha days. You may see him onboard.

Keith is one of the POA's Electrical Engineers, I know him from back in the Pride of Aloha days. You may see him onboard.

Awesome! If you are still in touch with him you can tell him he has a following ;) and thank him for the pics :)

Sorry if this is a silly question :o ....

Will she be taken out to sea for testing before she takes on passengers?

It would be comforting to know that everything works at sea....after seeing all that wiring all over the place :eek:

6 more sleeps!! Woohoo!! :D

It would be comforting to know that everything works at sea....after seeing all that wiring all over the place :eek:

Yes, there will be a sea trial. What I saw in the photos isn't really unusual for a drydocking. It always looks like nothing will get done in time, right up until the last day, when everything magically gets cleaned up. With the changes to the navigation systems on the bridge, the USCG will ensure that everything is working properly to meet not only SOLAS requirements, but their own stricter regulations, before issuing the COI (certificate of inspection, sort of like a car's safety sticker), and the American Bureau of Ships (the classification society, or insurance underwriter) will also have to sign off on everything.

Normally, by the end of a drydock, I've lost a few pounds, more of my already pitifully thin hair, have a furtive, hunted look about me, and tend to twitch whenever my name is called. The time that really gets your sphincter puckered is the time when the dock is flooded. Since the valves that isolate the sea from inside systems in the ship can only be inspected in drydock, and since many of these need to be removed for service/repair/replacement, you need to do a watertight integrity check. Lots of things are standing by for the ship to leave the dock, like tugs, and the yard is waiting to disconnect services, and sea trials are on a tight schedule, and the need to get to the passenger terminal in time, but they will flood the dock until all of the sea valves and other openings are covered, but before the ship is deep enough in the water to float (still supported on the blocks), and the Chief has to go around and personally inspect every one of these openings to ensure there are no leaks. If there are, its pump the dock back out and fix it, with the attendant delays. the deck officers also have to ensure that the ship is in as close to the same condition when leaving the dock as when arriving, even accounting for the amount of food used, water and fuel onboard, and the added weight of new equipment balanced against the weight of the garbage removed from the refurbishments. If the ship does not come off the blocks cleanly, one or more blocks could damage the hull from supporting too much weight.

Sea Trials set for Sunday. Should be fun with all of the new goodies onboard :)

If the ship does not come off the blocks cleanly, one or more blocks could damage the hull from supporting too much weight.

:eek: :eek: Thanks for all the info....maybe I should not have read that last bit :p

Sea Trials set for Sunday. Should be fun with all of the new goodies onboard :)

Woohoo!! We will be in SF by then....maybe we will catch her sailing out....or better yet....sailing back in :D

Normally, by the end of a drydock, I've lost a few pounds, more of my already pitifully thin hair, have a furtive, hunted look about me, and tend to twitch whenever my name is called. The time that really gets your sphincter puckered is the time when the dock is flooded. Since the valves that isolate the sea from inside systems in the ship can only be inspected in drydock, and since many of these need to be removed for service/repair/replacement, you need to do a watertight integrity check. Lots of things are standing by for the ship to leave the dock, like tugs, and the yard is waiting to disconnect services, and sea trials are on a tight schedule, and the need to get to the passenger terminal in time, but they will flood the dock until all of the sea valves and other openings are covered, but before the ship is deep enough in the water to float (still supported on the blocks), and the Chief has to go around and personally inspect every one of these openings to ensure there are no leaks. If there are, its pump the dock back out and fix it, with the attendant delays. the deck officers also have to ensure that the ship is in as close to the same condition when leaving the dock as when arriving, even accounting for the amount of food used, water and fuel onboard, and the added weight of new equipment balanced against the weight of the garbage removed from the refurbishments. If the ship does not come off the blocks cleanly, one or more blocks could damage the hull from supporting too much weight.

What happens to the areas of the ship that actually have the blocks under them in the drydock - do those just not get scrapped and painted?

What happens to the areas of the ship that actually have the blocks under them in the drydock - do those just not get scrapped and painted?

They have very little people with little paint brushes! :D

Actually, every ship has two "docking plans" that show alternative placement for the keel blocks. So the areas covered by the blocks get scraped and painted every other drydocking (10 years for newer ships, 5 years for ships over 15 years old).

There was no sea trial today. I've been periodically checking the web cam, and POA has not moved from her dry dock at all. Perhaps it will occur tomorrow. Hopefully everything is going okay and that the rain all these days has not slowed down anything.

They have very little people with little paint brushes! :D

Actually, every ship has two "docking plans" that show alternative placement for the keel blocks. So the areas covered by the blocks get scraped and painted every other drydocking (10 years for newer ships, 5 years for ships over 15 years old).

I want to make sure I read that right. A ship that is over 15 years old is dry docked twice in 5 years? So roughly ever 2 and half years a ship of that age is dry docked?

I want to make sure I read that right. A ship that is over 15 years old is dry docked twice in 5 years? So roughly ever 2 and half years a ship of that age is dry docked?

You read it wrong.

cheng's post is pretty clear when you are aware that older ships hit the dry dock about every five years.

You read it wrong.

cheng's post is pretty clear when you are aware that older ships hit the dry dock about every five years.

I wasn't aware which is why I asked. So it sounds like some parts of the hull won't be scrapped and painted for 15 years after initial build? 10 years to the first dry dock, and then 5 years after that to the second?

Also, that doesn't sound right anyway. Ships from RCCL, NCL and Carnival have hit dry dock after about 5 years. Are you saying they are dry docking them at only half the required time? Also, it would contradict this:

http://www.marineinsight.com/marine/dry-dock-types-of-dry-docks-requirements-for-dry-dock/

Also, that doesn't sound right anyway. Ships from RCCL, NCL and Carnival have hit dry dock after about 5 years. Are you saying they are dry docking them at only half the required time? Also, it would contradict this:

http://www.marineinsight.com/marine/dry-dock-types-of-dry-docks-requirements-for-dry-dock/

Twice within a 5 year period is not equal to every 2.5 years. Jan 1, 2010 and Dec 30, 2014 is twice within a five year period.

Keep reading:

http://www.marineinsight.com/marine-safety/what-is-extended-dry-docking-of-ships/

extended-drydocking.png?37a0e8

Edited by triptolemus

All ships are required to have their underwater areas surveyed twice in 5 years. Ship's surveys are grouped into 5 year periods, called survey intervals. Every 5 years, there is a "special" survey done (that's actually what its called), that require more and more extensive survey procedures at each special survey interval. The 3rd special survey (at 15 years of age) is a turning point.

Ships younger than 15 years may have their underwater areas surveyed while afloat (BSA in triptolemus' post) or UWILD as I know it (Underwater Survey In Lieu of Drydock) at the intermediate intervals, if they have been built for it (welded markings on the hull, diver aids to inspection), and if their class society and flag state allow. These diver surveys can be done, typically at turn-around day, but may take a couple or three days to complete. The ship has to be drydocked every 5 years. The actual requirement is the bottom must be surveyed "twice in 5 years, with no interval being more than 30 months". Some ship owners can opt for actual drydockings twice in 5 years, I think HAL does this.

Now, ships older than 15 years, due to the stricter inspection requirements, must actually be drydocked twice in 5 years, unless class has given a special waiver, which doesn't happen all that often.

As for painting, yes, the areas covered by the blocks at the first 5 year drydock will not be scraped and painted until the next drydock, or 10 years after building. However, if the intermediate UWILD inspections determine that the bottom coating has failed, class may require the ship to drydock prematurely. Given today's anti-corrosive paints and anti-fouling paints, it is not unreasonable to expect coatings to last 10 years. Vast areas of the ship's bottom is merely pressure washed and given a couple of coats of anti-fouling paint over the existing coatings.

So, when I said that the spots over the blocks get painted every 5 years for ships over 15, they use block plan #1 at 15 years, block plan #2 at 17.5 years, back to block plan #1 at 20 years, and again to plan #2 at 22.5 years. So the areas covered by the blocks in plan #1 are painted at 17.5 and 22.5 years (5 years apart), and those areas covered by the blocks in plan #2 are painted at 15 and 20 years. Double these intervals for younger ships. What I am saying is that a particular spot on the bottom, that is covered by the blocks at the first drydocking will not see the light of day until the second drydocking, when the ship is 10, but that 90% of the bottom will have seen daylight and been painted every 5 years (or twice in 5).

Would you happen to have an approximate time please ?

There was no sea trial today. I've been periodically checking the web cam, and POA has not moved from her dry dock at all. Perhaps it will occur tomorrow. Hopefully everything is going okay and that the rain all these days has not slowed down anything.

Trials were postponed. Not many are usually up at this hour, but she's afloat now and in the bay :)

Trials were postponed. Not many are usually up at this hour, but she's afloat now and in the bay :)

Do you know if they wetted her at all? I remember the last time the Aloha was in BAE SF, we had a several hour delay due to poor fit up of sea valves in really confined spaces. This is one of the most common reasons for delaying an undocking. Looks like a couple of launches alongside for technicians to board.

Tuesday is embarkation, right?

Edited by chengkp75

Do you know if they wetted her at all? I remember the last time the Aloha was in BAE SF, we had a several hour delay due to poor fit up of sea valves in really confined spaces. This is one of the most common reasons for delaying an undocking. Looks like a couple of launches alongside for technicians to board.

Thanks for the info above. Yes, tomorrow is planned embarkation.

I'm not sure why it was delayed, but they've been having a lot of different issues overall. Some projects either are incomplete or not where they should be at this point. Contractors will be onboard for the upcoming cruise to finish up some of the work.

I'm not sure why it was delayed, but they've been having a lot of different issues overall. Some projects either are incomplete or not where they should be at this point. Contractors will be onboard for the upcoming cruise to finish up some of the work.

As long as everything is "ship shape" for my June cruise I'm good. [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk