Galveston......never again!!

Desertbelle

Hi Margee this is Lee!

Yes we have heard it many times from immigration staff agents about Belize and Carnival!

After completion of improvements at Terminal # 1,

reviews of experiences for embarkations/disembarkation will tell the tale of

of whether or not immigration has it together or not!

There should be no excuses like:

computers are down,

drugs/Belize,

not enough staff showing up,

staff late arriving from Houston

improper staffing

RCCL dumping passengers on Immigration

Carnival having priority on staff

Budget inadequacy

or Terminal inadequacy

We have all heard these excuses

but they need to have it working right with proper staffing

when Port of Galveston and RCCL have together!

If immigration can't get passengers to curb promptly after improvements,

there needs to be some hard Washington pressure

from RCCL and Port of Galveston

to increase numbers of staff, stations and computers! !

This should have READ:

After completion of improvements to TERMINAL # 2

I like cruising out of Galveston , that one and only bridge could be a concern if you cutting it close to get to or off the island. Glad we were in a pre-paid town car and driver had a good sense of humor, he did get a good tip.

Can you give advice as to reliable town car transportation from Houston to Galveston?

Can you give advice as to reliable town car transportation from Houston to Galveston?

We used Houston VIP Taxi, from HOU to Galveston Hilton was $126.50 (6 passengers). We also used them after the cruise to take us to Johnson Space Center and then from the Space Center back to the airport. They were great...always on time and very pleasant. They picked us up in a very large late model SUV that easily fit 6 of us and a lot of luggage.

This is only my second cruise. The first one we did, Disney, out of San Pedro. When we disembarked there was a separate line for "International" travellers. We were off of the ship, through customs and collected our baggage in about 1/2 hr. We were standing at the curb, before our US friends had even cleared customs. This may be because Disney has a pretty good system (and people follow it) for disembarkation.

Terminal #1 - Carnival disembarkation question...is there a separate line for International travellers? ;)

Yes there is a separate line for International travelers in Terminal 1.

We spent Thanksgiving on the Liberty of the Seas and the cruise was great! Pretty much no complaints. We met a lot of wonderful people, had great weather, once we got out into the Gulf, and we got to spend some quality time with our daughter and her family.

The problem was Galveston. Never mind the time it takes to get from the airports to Galveston, that is doable with little problem. The check in was amazingly fast, so that was good. The problem, and it's a huge problem, was the disembarkation.

Disembarkation was a Royal Mess! Walking off the boat was easy, but the mass confusion and wait following was enough to make even me mad. We found our luggage fast but then there were 3 or 4 confused lines funneling into one, massive, slow line!! From getting into line to reaching the customs agent was 70 minutes!! 70 minutes of snaking around the building lugging all your baggage. Our cruise had 1350 kids onboard, so you can imagine the issues those parents had keeping their kids occupied (they actually did a stellar job and I commend all those parents). I have no idea why the long lines, all the customs booths were open....I guess they need to make the port larger and get more agents because that is too long to wait! Getting outside was also horrible. We got through the line around 11 am, which is when people were arriving for the next cruise...what a mess! In 24 or so cruises I can't remember another experience like it.

We were attracted to leaving on a cruise out of Galveston because the flight is 2.5 hours compared to 4.5 to Florida.....but when you figure in the 60 minute ride from Houston and the hour waiting in line for customs, it's making the difference next to none. Sorry Galveston it's Florida for us from now on.

No matter where we sail from - we ALWAYS get a porter. They get you thru customs ASAP so they can get back to the baggage area and get another customer. It is much faster and very worth the porter's tip. We have sailed from Galveston many times and disembarkation is no fun, but neither is at any other port.

No matter where we sail from - we ALWAYS get a porter. They get you thru customs ASAP so they can get back to the baggage area and get another customer. It is much faster and very worth the porter's tip. We have sailed from Galveston many times and disembarkation is no fun, but neither is at any other port.

T1 in Port Canaveral is pretty slick, especially if you do self assist. No problem being off before 7AM in most instances.

T1 in Port Canaveral is pretty slick, especially if you do self assist. No problem being off before 7AM in most instances.

When we self assist, it can be pretty slick in Galveston ALSO.

After RCL cruises in Galveston,

from our own experiences,

we have been home many times before 8:00 am!

Our home is 18 blocks away from terminal.

Times depend on when ship arrives!

When we don't self assist,

we sometimes go to MDR for casual breakfast,

then go to staging area depending on our staging number

and then to home.

On our last cruise in November on Liberty,

we did not self assist for disembarkation.

After a casual breakfast,

we went to staging area,

our number called ,

and we walked off ship to baggage claim

and picked up our bags.

We went thru immigration and customs,

and were at curb waiting on our neighbor to pick us up,

in less than 10 minutes.

Prior to Liberty there have been a lot of problems with disembarkation in Galveston!

I led a charge with communications with RCL, Port and Immigration's for improvements at Galveston port!

Disembarkation's are better since Liberty arrived and changes are being made for the better with improvements at terminal #2.

Edited by ssb

• 3 weeks later...
I like cruising out of Galveston , that one and only bridge could be a concern if you cutting it close to get to or off the island. Glad we were in a pre-paid town car and driver had a good sense of humor, he did get a good tip.

Please advise. Need to go IAH RT Galveston. Thank you.

Barbara

I am confused by this thread. Really, I am.

We have sailed out of Galveston many times (probably 10-12 times). I have always found Galveston very easy compared to other ports we've gone through.

Customs /Immigration was a snap. There are essentially 2 lines.. one for if you have a US passport, and the other for if you don't have a US passport. The "passport" line moves rather quickly. We've never had to wait more than 10-15 minutes. and most times not even that long.

Maybe we have just been lucky :confused:

Edited by Barsnikel

We have sailed out of Galveston many times (probably 10-12 times). I have always found Galveston very easy compared to other ports we've gone through.

Customs /Immigration was a snap. There are essentially 2 lines.. one for if you have a US passport, and the other for if you don't have a US passport. The "passport" line moves rather quickly. We've never had to wait more than 10-15 minutes. and most times not even that long.

10-12 times is not luck !

Since arrival of Liberty, disembarkation processes overall have improved, based on reviews I have seen, experienced personally , and heard .

It should even be better with completion of new expanded part of terminal # 2 coupled with renovations of old part of terminal #2 .

I'm with you on this. We've been out of there 5 times and never had any issues. I try to stick up for it when people bash it, but everyone has there own opinion, I guess.

Since arrival of Liberty, disembarkation processes overall have improved, based on reviews I have seen, experienced personally , and heard .

It should even be better with completion of new expanded part of terminal # 2 coupled with renovations of old part of terminal #2 .

I always thought the embark was far worse than disembark even in priority line , which is a joke since it has so many people. But can not wait till I try it again in April on Liberty here is a video of the refurbish of Liberty

//player.ooyala.com/iframe.html...2Fliberty-seas

I always thought the embark was far worse than disembark even in priority line , which is a joke since it has so many people. But can not wait till I try it again in April on Liberty here is a video of the refurbish of Liberty

//player.ooyala.com/iframe.html...2Fliberty-seas

Presently port has large temporary tent for waiting area with seating to stage early arriving passengers and at congested times during embarkation. Part of New expanded terminal #2 when completed will replace tent !

There is a plan. We shall see how it works.

Edited by ssb

Presently port has large temporary tent for waiting area with seating to stage early arriving passengers and at congested times during embarkation. Part of New expanded terminal #2 when completed will replace tent !

There is a plan. We shall see how it works.

When is terminal # 2 scheduled for completion?? I thought at one time it was scheduled for 2015. Hoping it will be done for our cruise at end of April.

When is terminal # 2 scheduled for completion?? I thought at one time it was scheduled for 2015. Hoping it will be done for our cruise at end of April.

There have been delays for valid reasons.

I hope for your sake it's completed.

I have cruised Liberty since arrival.

Everything was great for us.

There are two possible issues !

RCL dumping passengers

And/or

Immigrations not adequate !

Not the terminal or Galveston!

Good luck George. :)

We have Liberty and Galveston in our future cruise plans. :D

Edited by ssb

There have been delays for valid reasons.

I hope for your sake it's completed.

I have cruised Liberty since arrival.

Everything was great for us.

There are two possible issues !

RCL dumping passengers

And/or

Immigrations not adequate !

Not the terminal or Galveston!

Good luck George. :)

We have Liberty and Galveston in our future cruise plans. :D

Guilt by association, unfortunately

Please explain yourself. Thanks.

Easy, if people have a hard time coming or going it's easiest to blame the terminal. Just the way it goes. Could be weather, could be customs, could be missing passengers. Cruise port is at the top of the blame list

Easy, if people have a hard time coming or going it's easiest to blame the terminal. Just the way it goes. Could be weather, could be customs, could be missing passengers. Cruise port is at the top of the blame list

Thanks !