Galveston......never again!!

Desertbelle

Between Galveston and both airports has many routes without tolls , and the lights comments is insignificant and petty. Freeways are next to airports and no lights impede traffic once on freeways at all, until you are by terminals in Galveston.

Petty, really

Between Galveston and both airports has many routes without tolls , and the lights comments is insignificant and petty. Freeways are next to airports and no lights impede traffic once on freeways at all, until you are by terminals in Galveston.

No one mentioned that everyone going here has to cross a large bridge, on our trip last year there was a accident and the normal 40 min drive from hobby was over 2 hours due to a accident on the bridge.

No one mentioned that everyone going here has to cross a large bridge, on our trip last year there was a accident and the normal 40 min drive from hobby was over 2 hours due to a accident on the bridge.

There are accidents on the Beachline in FL as well. A barge hit one of the bridges several weeks ago. Shut down 3 hours. But you can take another route if needed

We had 11:25 flight out of Ft Lauderdale .

Ship arrived at 6:00am .

No one was allowed to get off ship until 11:00 !

We missed flight on that Friday a holiday weekend.

Next available flights were Monday.

We will cruise out of Florida again!

Last Saturday all flights on Southwest from Houston Hobby to Chicago were canceled . We were caught up in that mess trying to reach a dying family member . We arrived 24 hours later. And our bags also did not show up. Now that was stressful and real.

Not all these cruising issues are life crisis.

We have had vacation traveling issues of all sorts all over the world. We are still traveling all over the world.

Chill out folks . Sh....et happens everywhere! Some issues work out and some do not.

Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure.

Marry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Edited by ssb

There are accidents on the Beachline in FL as well. A barge hit one of the bridges several weeks ago. Shut down 3 hours. But you can take another route if needed

I like cruising out of Galveston , that one and only bridge could be a concern if you cutting it close to get to or off the island. Glad we were in a pre-paid town car and driver had a good sense of humor, he did get a good tip.

You can also take another route into Galveston--go to Bolivar and take the ferry to Galveston.

I like cruising out of Galveston , that one and only bridge could be a concern if you cutting it close to get to or off the island. Glad we were in a pre-paid town car and driver had a good sense of humor, he did get a good tip.

the bridge is damn scary in the middle of a windy rainstorm. Just sayin'. as freaked out as we were getting OFF the island last week I bet the ones trying to drive IN to catch a cruise were three times as freaked.

• 2 weeks later...

Galveston has the following issues in my humble opinion:

1. Distance from airports. No question that is a major concern for anyone flying. Longer distance means it takes longer and costs more. I live locally and drive but if I had to fly in to cruise out of Galveston, I would fly in the day before.
  2. Limited staffing for customs. Generally long lines form because of the limited staffing. While refurbishing terminal 2 and building a new terminal 3 might improve other aspects of embarkation and disembarkation, staffing of customs remains the one constraint not easily resolved.
  3. FOG! I think fog is a major concern. It impacts everything and can happen anytime during the winter months. Until people can disembark and drive away, the limited cruise parking is even more challenging since people driving assume a spot will be available when they arrive. If a ship is delayed docking by fog, that leaves a lot of cars and not enough places to go. The port and terminals quickly get overloaded between people trying to leave and those arriving to board.

Galveston has the following advantages:

1. A variety of things to do and places to eat. You do not need to spend time in your hotel if you arrive the day before your cruise. Or take an extra day before flying home.
  2. I find the people who cruise out of Texas some of the most friendly people I have met when cruising. Texas friendly is not just a slogan.
  3. Some good ships out of Galveston on both Carnival and RCCL.
  4. Western caribbean itineraries only might be seen as a limitation but the destinations include good beaches to relax, good shopping if you want, and plenty of fun activities. It is the Caribbean and sun and sand are never boring.
  5. Plenty of flights! Yes the airports might be further away but you can find connections easily to just about everywhere.
  6. Cruise terminal upgrades are happening. That does not fix the road access to the terminals but should make it easier to drop off and pickup.

That said, I like the mix of ages and friendliness of the people when I cruise out of Galveston. Obviously I am local so convenience to cruise out of Galveston is overwhelmimg but I have cruised out of several other ports and I find the people make the difference when cruising. Just my two cents.

Galveston has the following issues in my humble opinion:

1. Distance from airports. No question that is a major concern for anyone flying. Longer distance means it takes longer and costs more. I live locally and drive but if I had to fly in to cruise out of Galveston, I would fly in the day before.
  2. Limited staffing for customs. Generally long lines form because of the limited staffing. While refurbishing terminal 2 and building a new terminal 3 might improve other aspects of embarkation and disembarkation, staffing of customs remains the one constraint not easily resolved.
  3. FOG! I think fog is a major concern. It impacts everything and can happen anytime during the winter months. Until people can disembark and drive away, the limited cruise parking is even more challenging since people driving assume a spot will be available when they arrive. If a ship is delayed docking by fog, that leaves a lot of cars and not enough places to go. The port and terminals quickly get overloaded between people trying to leave and those arriving to board.

Galveston has the following advantages:

1. A variety of things to do and places to eat. You do not need to spend time in your hotel if you arrive the day before your cruise. Or take an extra day before flying home.
  2. I find the people who cruise out of Texas some of the most friendly people I have met when cruising. Texas friendly is not just a slogan.
  3. Some good ships out of Galveston on both Carnival and RCCL.
  4. Western caribbean itineraries only might be seen as a limitation but the destinations include good beaches to relax, good shopping if you want, and plenty of fun activities. It is the Caribbean and sun and sand are never boring.
  5. Plenty of flights! Yes the airports might be further away but you can find connections easily to just about everywhere.
  6. Cruise terminal upgrades are happening. That does not fix the road access to the terminals but should make it easier to drop off and pickup.

That said, I like the mix of ages and friendliness of the people when I cruise out of Galveston. Obviously I am local so convenience to cruise out of Galveston is overwhelmimg but I have cruised out of several other ports and I find the people make the difference when cruising. Just my two cents.

I agree with your points 100%. We live about 40 miles from Galveston, when we cruise out of Galveston we come in and spend the night, leave our car at the San Luis and take the shuttle. Just don't be in a rush, things happen, check in and chill out!

We debarked in Galveston on December 6. We were zone 1 and it was noon by the time we got to our car parked on the seawall and left Galveston. They told us it was because we went to Belize. Not sure I believe that.

I had read some posts about how to get to the port if you flew into Galveston. It sounded like too much trouble to me. We just drove it.

What would going to Belize have to do with anything? I have been worried about the fog. We are going January 17-24 and I never have went out of Galveston before and am now reading about all the fog delays. Worried a 2:00 flight out of Hobby may be pushing it. Can't control Mother Nature, but doesn't ease my mind lol

What would going to Belize have to do with anything? I have been worried about the fog. We are going January 17-24 and I never have went out of Galveston before and am now reading about all the fog delays. Worried a 2:00 flight out of Hobby may be pushing it. Can't control Mother Nature, but doesn't ease my mind lol

Something about extra screening for customs I believe.

I had read some posts about how to get to the port if you flew into Galveston. It sounded like too much trouble to me. We just drove it.

Seriously? You drove from Illinois to Texas. Isn't that like thousands of miles? We don't have time to do that. We don't even drive to southern California.

I hate driving to Ft Lauderdale. ;)

We did it once. It was a long (but different from CA) drive from WDW to Port Everglades. I don't know that I would do it again.

I drive all week for work. Cars and road trips don't thrill me on vacation.

After the cruise we flew back on Southwest from FLL to MCO and then flew home. :D

Apparently, Belize is a hot bed for drugs so ICE takes their time in screening all.

About fog - weather no one can control. Not frequent, but does occur just like elsewhere. Typically more fog in Houston than on Coast and frequency here is very much blown out of proportion. Now that the Gulf water is cooler and winter has arrived (for the moment), unless there is a real warm up, fog is unlikely. However, anything is possible.

Going back to ICE - they are the problem for the delays as they are understaffed and clear Carnival ships first.

In all the years sailing in (TA's) and out of Galveston, we have only been delayed twice.

HI, Mary and Jim

Happy Holidays to you both. We are cruising again on Liberty in May for my 75th Birthday!! (Gasp). Our son and dtr-in-law are cruising with as my birthday surprise and I'm so excited.

Comment for this thread: do you know why Carnival ships are cleared first? It's been that way for years and it stinks!

Fair winds and following seas to you both.

Margee

HI, Mary and Jim

Happy Holidays to you both. We are cruising again on Liberty in May for my 75th Birthday!! (Gasp). Our son and dtr-in-law are cruising with as my birthday surprise and I'm so excited.

Comment for this thread: do you know why Carnival ships are cleared first? It's been that way for years and it stinks!

Fair winds and following seas to you both.

Margee

Hi Margee this is Lee!

Yes we have heard it many times from immigration staff agents about Belize and Carnival!

After completion of improvements at Terminal # 1,

reviews of experiences for embarkations/disembarkation will tell the tale of

of whether or not immigration has it together or not!

There should be no excuses like:

computers are down,

drugs/Belize,

not enough staff showing up,

staff late arriving from Houston

improper staffing

RCCL dumping passengers on Immigration

Carnival having priority on staff

Budget inadequacy

or Terminal inadequacy

We have all heard these excuses

but they need to have it working right with proper staffing

when Port of Galveston and RCCL have together!

If immigration can't get passengers to curb promptly after improvements,

there needs to be some hard Washington pressure

from RCCL and Port of Galveston

to increase numbers of staff, stations and computers! !

Edited by ssb

This is only my second cruise. The first one we did, Disney, out of San Pedro. When we disembarked there was a separate line for "International" travellers. We were off of the ship, through customs and collected our baggage in about 1/2 hr. We were standing at the curb, before our US friends had even cleared customs. This may be because Disney has a pretty good system (and people follow it) for disembarkation.

Terminal #1 - Carnival disembarkation question...is there a separate line for International travellers? ;)

Edited by turboteacher

This is only my second cruise. The first one we did, Disney, out of San Pedro. When we disembarked there was a separate line for "International" travellers. We were off of the ship, through customs and collected our baggage in about 1/2 hr. We were standing at the curb, before our US friends had even cleared customs. This may be because Disney has a pretty good system (and people follow it) for disembarkation.

Terminal #1 - Carnival disembarkation question...is there a separate line for International travellers? ;)

Terminal # 1 is not know for disembarkation issues.

It has a larger terminal and immigration is staffed properly and passengers are cleared faster with more agents ( for some reason)