Embarking

Generally speaking:

You arrive at the port and turn you luggage over to the Stevedores who load it into metal cages to load onto the ship. Not to start a fight - but be sure to tip these guys, I usually tip them $2.00 / bag.

You will then stand in a long line and go through security, sort of like at an airport but not quite as rigorous. Your carry-ons will be x-rayed and you will go through a metal detector.

On your way from the security area to the line to check in, you will, at some point get a medical questionnaire to fill out. I think they do it that way to have you kill some time.

Then you will get in another long line and wait to get to a check in clerk. Once you get to the clerk they will need your boarding pass, your Passport or applicable ID and a credit card for your ship account. In exchange for that, they will give you your room key / ship's card, a deck plan, some other papers and a boarding number.

You will then go to an area like the waiting area at an airport gate, only bigger with less comfortable chairs and wait until your boarding number is called.

When your boarding number is called, you will end up in another long line while people get their photo taken before heading to the gangway. Keep in mind the photographers will IMPLY that you have to wait in line and get your photo taken. You don't, you can walk right by them if you wish. Likely, on your first cruise you will go for the pre-boarding photo.

Next you will walk down a hallway and up or across or down a ramp (depending on the ship and the tide) and wait in another line as you ship card is scanned and you walk aboard the ship.

There will be ship crew directing you, likely to the buffet area. You can go there, or you can go off and explore the ship.

Hope that helps. If there are any RCI specifics i missed, I am sure someone will correct me as i have not sailed on one of their ships.

IME this has taken 10 minutes end to end

and other time two hours . . . .

queued up in the terminal waiting to board QM2

you'd think it would be nicer huh?

IMG_0392_zpsppfh5gwx.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

You MUST be onboard at least 90 minutes before sail time.....so if the ship leaves at 4pm. be sure you there no later than 2:30 or you could be denied boarding!!

Just wanted to be sure you were aware.......

Have a great cruise!!!

Most Royal Caribbean ships have staterooms ready between 1pm and 1:30. If you will have a lot of luggage that you choose to carry on, you will need to carry them around with you until the cabins are ready.

We like to arrive at port around noon and by the time we are aboard we can go directly to our cabin and drop off our luggage, then we head to the Windjammer for a buffet lunch.

Enjoy your cruise.

If we get to the port by say 10:30-11, will we have to do much waiting or should we try and go later? Thanks!!

how are you getting to the port?

we like to get to the port between 10:30. I'd rather sit around and wait as opposed to think I may miss it. besides, check out time at the hotel is 11am. my experience says that 10:30am is less crowds than later on when the flights start rolling in

how are you getting to the port?

we like to get to the port between 10:30. I'd rather sit around and wait as opposed to think I may miss it. besides, check out time at the hotel is 11am. my experience says that 10:30am is less crowds than later on when the flights start rolling in

We are actually staying with a friend who lives in west palm beach! She's taking us to the port to the day of. We want to get at the port at like 10:30 but don't wanna wait a whole lot.

Generally speaking:

You arrive at the port and turn you luggage over to the Stevedores who load it into metal cages to load onto the ship. Not to start a fight - but be sure to tip these guys, I usually tip them $2.00 / bag.

You will then stand in a long line and go through security, sort of like at an airport but not quite as rigorous. Your carry-ons will be x-rayed and you will go through a metal detector.

On your way from the security area to the line to check in, you will, at some point get a medical questionnaire to fill out. I think they do it that way to have you kill some time.

Then you will get in another long line and wait to get to a check in clerk. Once you get to the clerk they will need your boarding pass, your Passport or applicable ID and a credit card for your ship account. In exchange for that, they will give you your room key / ship's card, a deck plan, some other papers and a boarding number.

You will then go to an area like the waiting area at an airport gate, only bigger with less comfortable chairs and wait until your boarding number is called.

When your boarding number is called, you will end up in another long line while people get their photo taken before heading to the gangway. Keep in mind the photographers will IMPLY that you have to wait in line and get your photo taken. You don't, you can walk right by them if you wish. Likely, on your first cruise you will go for the pre-boarding photo.

Next you will walk down a hallway and up or across or down a ramp (depending on the ship and the tide) and wait in another line as you ship card is scanned and you walk aboard the ship.

There will be ship crew directing you, likely to the buffet area. You can go there, or you can go off and explore the ship.

Hope that helps. If there are any RCI specifics i missed, I am sure someone will correct me as i have not sailed on one of their ships.

We've cruised on 4 different cruise lines, and this is about the best description of "how it works" that I've seen. It pretty much was handled this way on all of them.