First Carnival cruise? And where are the ships now?

gkrnjlr

With all the cruisers on this page I thought I'd ask.....what was your first Carnival cruise? Did they always take embarkation photos?

And...where are the old ships now? I heard that the Celebration was sold to another line but that's all I remember about it.

Our first cruise was the Carnival Paradise in 2007. We have now completed 17 cruises and have 2 more booked. Paradise is still in service with Carnival.

When we first started cruising we always stood for the embarkation photo, but never bought one. Now we walk by and say, "no thank you".

Our first cruise was on Carnivale's Festivale back in 1987. It was an older ship but a lot of fun, and, at the time, was one of the largest ships for cruising in the Caribbean. The Festivale was scrapped around 2006. Our second cruise was on Carnival's Holiday in 1991. That ship was sold to another company and still sails today. The Celebration, a sister ship to the Holiday, was also sold to a couple other companies, and is now sailing out of Palm Beach as the Grand Celebration. We will be on the Grand Celebration in March. It will be fun to get on a ship that is so similar to the Holiday.

With all the cruisers on this page I thought I'd ask.....what was your first Carnival cruise? Did they always take embarkation photos?

And...where are the old ships now? I heard that the Celebration was sold to another line but that's all I remember about it.

Imagination. Still sailing.

Mardi Gras - SCRAP

Carnivale - SCRAP

Festivale - SCRAP

Tropicale - Ocean Dream

Jubilee - CHINA as HENNA

Celebration - GRAND Celebration

Holiday - Magellan

Ecstasy Nov 2001 - 4 day Baja Thanksgiving. Built in 1991. Active. Currently moored in NAS today then to MIA 12/07/15. Gross Tonnage: 70526.

For as many Carnival cruises that I've been on, this was a blast. Slept through thanksgiving dinner (passed out) - best nap I've ever had. LOL. Started drinking at 10 am. My deck waiter said 'no booze, no cruise' lights out. People watched pool side all day!

Well it's now 14 years later and going on Magic next week Dec 13. No drinking all day for me anymore, but I know that I will have another fantastic cruise, because I choose too! Look forward to meeting new people along with hanging out with people we have met over the years who decided to join us. I'm a Carnival Cheerleader, just like the Disney folks.

Safe travels All! Christopher

ImageUploadedByForums1449346400.645684.jpg.cb862f52521ef7794844b9afa9449773.jpg

Our first was Imagination in 1996, just a quick 5 night getaway for DH and myself. We were not that thrilled. The food was barely edible and there was only the MDR or buffet. We had an inside room and got Carnival excursions at the ports, because that's the only way we thought we could do anything. Then just walked around shops.

There was a steel drum band though.

It was so bad it took years before I could talk my DH into another cruise. What a difference! Now he actually likes cruises and thanks to this forum I know all the tricks!

Imagination is still going strong, but we have no desire to go back on a smaller Fantasy class ship.

Edited by wantocruisemore

Carnival Mardi Gras out of Miami, mid to late 80's.

After the cruise we went to Miami Beach and called my parents from a payphone. It was the EXACT phone used in the Scarface movie right before the chainsaw scene!

Every time I see the movie I remember standing at that phone!

Edited by Richjoxyz

Tropicale in 1994 out of San Juan. After that experience, it took me 6 years to hop on another Carnival ship (Destiny). Glad I gave Carnival another chance.

Edited by Tapi