when to book?

dfwguy

Apologies, as I know this question has been asked in the past.

Planning a May 2017 crossing.

1) Is it better to book directly through Cunard or a TA. Who has more latitude to refund/upgrade/offer OBC. etc?

2) Prices always seem to drop- dramatically- as crossing nears. Is it better to pay the deposit and delay final payment at the very last minute?

3) Any tips or experiences regarding this matter you wish to share?

Thank you all for your kind comments.

We have developed a recent habit to do crossings in January and booked late. We've had a better price - but no choice of cabin / dinner.

This year we booked early - encouraged by an offer (UK) but also to get the booking 'in the bag'. I knew I was going to have a challenging year at work so didn't want to stress about the best time to book AND it meant that I had a guaranteed light at the end of the tunnel.

It proved the right thing to do on this occasion. I don't think that inside cabins for our chosen voyage ever dropped - and they are now sold out. Balcony cabin prices have dropped - but overall, we have still paid less (taking into account on-board credit).

We have booked our last half dozen trips direct with Cunard.

Edited by Toffeegirl68

Since picking our cabin is important to us, we typically book early. Once we booked 18 months in advance, on the day the Cunard brochure arrived in the mail.

We typically book directly with Cunard and they have changed our fare, later, when a lower rate was offered after the booking. This wasn't automatic, however. We have had to pay attention to offers and call Cunard to ask for a decrease. (And, once they would only give us an up-grade, not the lower fare).

Also, if you book later, you are less likely to have your choice of dining times (assuming you will travel Britannia class--in the Grills, it is a different story).

Dining time may, or may not, be something you care about.

We live in the USA, where you get a full-refund (no questions asked) if canceling 90 days before the sailing date. We have always bought travel insurance to cover refund in the last 90 days (and have had to use this for health reasons).

Also, if you are enjoying the experience onboard, there is an advantage to signing up for a future booking while you are on the ship. Cunard will keep a deposit and you will get cruise-credit for your next voyage.

Have a wonderful time!

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

I think we will book with TA, pay the initial deposit and wait till last minute for final payment, to hedge against price reduction. If anyone see flaw in my logic, please be so kind as mention. thank you all - you are very kind.

If you are flexible about dates and cabins then I would wait. It's tricky if you want a particular crossing.

It does not always pay to wait though, my latest cruise on QE has only come down by about £100.00. As I booked early and got free parking and a free drinks package, I think I got a good deal and there is still the chance of an upgrade.

I think we will book with TA, pay the initial deposit and wait till last minute for final payment, to hedge against price reduction. If anyone see flaw in my logic, please be so kind as mention. thank you all - you are very kind.

If you're in the US this is the best strategy. May can be a popular time for crossing, we know from personal experience. WE didn't realize the ship started off in Hamburg and it was getting booked up first. We had to take what was left for cabins.

Whether you choose to use a TA or not, make it your business to check for lower fares. Get on Cunard's email list for any special offers. Go on the website yourself and run through a booking to check out the fares every once in awhile. People here on the forum will sometimes 'break the news' of lower fares as well.

Again if you're in the US you can change your booking (for a lower fare) anytime before your final deposit without penalty. You keep the same room just get the lower price, we do it all the time.

Apologies, as I know this question has been asked in the past.

Planning a May 2017 crossing.

1) Is it better to book directly through Cunard or a TA. Who has more latitude to refund/upgrade/offer OBC. etc?

2) Prices always seem to drop- dramatically- as crossing nears. Is it better to pay the deposit and delay final payment at the very last minute?

3) Any tips or experiences regarding this matter you wish to share?

Thank you all for your kind comments.

One thing you did not tell us is whether you are retired or still working.

If you are retired you can wait out for a price drop as long as you can accept that it might go up instead or the ship sells out before you pull the trigger.

If however you are still working you run the risk of the ship selling out while you wait. If you have no flexibility for rescheduling your vacation you will instead have a "staycation". I fall into this category and book well in advance, especially if the sailing will involve 2-3 weeks away from work.

Late promotions rarely apply to solos. Handicap cabins and those accommodating 3 or 4 people are seldom available at a late date. And keep in mind that Saver fares (UK) or promotional fares (US) are category guarantee, no choice of early or late dining. You sacrifice choice for a lower price. You have to decide which is more important to you.

That is the way we do it. We usually book through our TA shortly after the new Cunard schedules are published. Our TA has always found us a better deal around the time the final payment is due. Sometimes before and sometimes after. This year we got a stateroom upgrade and a substantial refund from Cunard for our upcoming WC segments. plus extra OBC from our TA.

However, keep in mind that some TA are much better than others. If you find a good one, it pays to stay with them.

Bob

Since picking our cabin is important to us, we typically book early. Once we booked 18 months in advance, on the day the Cunard brochure arrived in the mail.

We typically book directly with Cunard and they have changed our fare, later, when a lower rate was offered after the booking. This wasn't automatic, however. We have had to pay attention to offers and call Cunard to ask for a decrease. (And, once they would only give us an up-grade, not the lower fare).

Also, if you book later, you are less likely to have your choice of dining times (assuming you will travel Britannia class--in the Grills, it is a different story).

Dining time may, or may not, be something you care about.

We live in the USA, where you get a full-refund (no questions asked) if canceling 90 days before the sailing date. We have always bought travel insurance to cover refund in the last 90 days (and have had to use this for health reasons).

Also, if you are enjoying the experience onboard, there is an advantage to signing up for a future booking while you are on the ship. Cunard will keep a deposit and you will get cruise-credit for your next voyage.

Have a wonderful time!

You are lucky being in the UK if we book early and then cancel before the balance is due we lose the deposit so no longer book early leave it late and hope for a late deal.