Carnival Weirdness...

Taters

Lil2Angelic,

Thanks for being so fair and understanding to the OP. Some who have commented....are misreading the intent of the OP's post.

I'm also going on this cruise and looking forward to 13 days on the Carnival Miracle. I've enjoyed EVERY cruise I've taken and I'm excited for this one also. If we don't stop at Zihautenejo.....I'll just go with the 'flow" and enjoy every minute. But..I agree with "Taters". Don't advertise a port call...especially if the pier there... has been unusable for ship tenders for a year. Just last week...before this cruise sold out..."Z" was still on the itinerary.

I understand missing ports because of weather, mechanical, etc...that's just part of cruising. But to advertise a port..when it's damaged pier can't accommodate ships tenders....is a first for me too.

Carnival has delayed advertising any Panama Canal cruises..until the current work on the Canal is completed. Why didn't it also wait for repairs to the Zihautenejo pier to be completed?

Edited by cruizinator

Lil2Angelic,

Thanks for being so fair and understanding to the OP. Some who have commented....are misreading the intent of the OP's post.

I'm also going on this cruise and looking forward to 13 days on the Carnival Miracle. I've enjoyed EVERY cruise I've taken and I'm excited for this one also. If we don't stop at Zihautenejo.....I'll just go with the 'flow" and enjoy every minute. But..I agree with "Taters". Don't advertise a port call...especially if the pier there... has been unusable for ship tenders for a year. Just last week...before this cruise sold out..."Z" was still on the itinerary.

I understand missing ports because of weather, mechanical, etc...that's just part of cruising. But to advertise a port..when it's damaged pier can't accommodate ships tenders....is a first for me too.

Carnival has delayed advertising any Panama Canal cruises..until the current work on the Canal is completed. Why didn't it also wait for repairs to the Zihautenejo pier to be completed?

Whatever happens, I am so excited for this trip. I can't wait for it, no matter what ports we stop at. Nothing is better than not having to work and having a bloody mary with my breakfast!

Whatever happens, I am so excited for this trip. I can't wait for it, no matter what ports we stop at. Nothing is better than not having to work and having a bloody mary with my breakfast!

And to have that bloody mary in 75-80 degree weather....ain't too shabby Crustypunkjj!

Edited by cruizinator

Laurie contacted a local dive shop to book a dive. The owner filled her in on the local situation and pointed her in the direction of some articles and discussion regarding the pier.

So you're saying if that if Laurie hadn't intended on going diving there neither one of you would have known about this at all? How did you find out about the Amsterdam's change of itinerary?

Also, I posted this thread on HAL's forum..Here's the link..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2287412

There is currently not a pier that is accessable to cruise ships or cruise ship tenders in the Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa area.

Every Carnival cruise that I have been on dating back to 2001 that had a tendered port Carnival used it's own lifeboats as tenders instead of paying for shore tenders to do the job (probably saved them money and allowed them to doing testing on the life boats).

Personally, I have no idea if they are going or not and I don't really care. You have still not proven an intentional falsehood (aka a "lie" that you keep claiming) on Carnival's part, especially with nothing but hearsay.

I did a little rudimentary research, and the dock at Zihuatenejo used to be large enough to dock cruise ships (I found a pix of the NCL Dawn docked there) but I don't see much else, so if this dock is damaged, they probably won't go there. However, the town of Ixtapa does appear to have quite an extensive marina (with docks and slips, where Zihua only does anchorage), so there is a possibility that Carnival has reached an agreement with the marina to tender there. Just a possibility.

Every Carnival cruise that I have been on dating back to 2001 that had a tendered port Carnival used it's own lifeboats as tenders instead of paying for shore tenders to do the job (probably saved them money and allowed them to doing testing on the life boats).

Personally, I have no idea if they are going or not and I don't really care. You have still not proven an intentional falsehood (aka a "lie" that you keep claiming) on Carnival's part, especially with nothing but hearsay.

Mexican Riviera cruising is different. Carnival uses port tenders, not lifeboats in Catalina and Cabo.

So you're saying if that if Laurie hadn't intended on going diving there neither one of you would have known about this at all? How did you find out about the Amsterdam's change of itinerary?

Also, I posted this thread on HAL's forum..Here's the link..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2287412

No, our roll call had heard that this was going on, probably from someone who had been in another cruise scheduled to stop there. I contacted the dive shop owner to confirm it for us, which he did. I also contacted John Heald who said he didn't know and would find out. He never has reported back with any information.

Edited by Laurie S.

I did a little rudimentary research, and the dock at Zihuatenejo used to be large enough to dock cruise ships (I found a pix of the NCL Dawn docked there).

That doesn't sound right. We've been cruised to Zihuatanejo maybe a dozen times since the mid 90's -- we've always tendered. That was on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, HAL, Celebrity and Princess.

I wonder if the picture may have been miss-captioned.

We'll be on NCL this September with a scheduled stop there -- I hope it is fixed by then, it is one of our favorite ports.

I would be surprised at that, too. There are two large marinas in San Carlos, Mexico where I keep my boat. One of them has a large dock where the fuel pumps are and the multimillion dollar superyachts must tie up there because the draft is only 5 feet in the majority of both marinas, and the entrance to them. It's 8 feet at that dock. It's still not long enough for a cruise ship, but one couldn't come in anyway. That's pretty typical on the Mexican Riviera.

Edited by Laurie S.

I'm going to send John Heald a question about this again, what the heck. I'm also going to contact our dive shop in Manzanillo and see if they have openings for dives on the day we're scheduled for Zihuatanejo. Best to be proactive. But, I'm betting it will be changed to a sea day.

I'm going to send John Heald a question about this again, what the heck. I'm also going to contact our dive shop in Manzanillo and see if they have openings for dives on the day we're scheduled for Zihuatanejo. Best to be proactive. But, I'm betting it will be changed to a sea day.

Thanks for writing to John again, Laurie!

I did a little rudimentary research, and the dock at Zihuatenejo used to be large enough to dock cruise ships (I found a pix of the NCL Dawn docked there) but I don't see much else, so if this dock is damaged, they probably won't go there. However, the town of Ixtapa does appear to have quite an extensive marina (with docks and slips, where Zihua only does anchorage), so there is a possibility that Carnival has reached an agreement with the marina to tender there. Just a possibility.

Thanks so much for chiming in! I've been trying to look at all the angles/options here also..Wouldn't the fact that it's a tender port make it easier? If they are able to use piers like the one you showed for Fanning Island then couldn't they just tender and use any pier that's deemed safe? Maybe one in Ixtapa?

Mexican Riviera cruising is different. Carnival uses port tenders, not lifeboats in Catalina and Cabo.

Hi Sadie!..When we were in Cabo last year on the Miracle, they were using Carnival's lifeboats for the tender process. There were 2 other cruise ships in the bay that day so I assumed that was the reason, but they did do it.

Lil2Angelic,

I totally agree. Can you imagine the backlash from passengers if the Panama Canal transit itinerary was changed? My gut feeling at this point is just what I said before. Carnival knows or thinks that they can get away with this because most of the passengers will just roll with it especially if they don't know the real story.