On this day ....

Host Hattie

in 1967 Queen Mary reached Long Beach and started her retirement.

Does anyone have any memories of either sailing on her or visiting her since ?

I would love to see/stay on her - any recommendations for best time to visit/cabin to book etc ?

Thanks

I would love to see/stay on her - any recommendations for best time to visit/cabin to book etc ?

Thanks

Hi Hattie.

Sailed on her twice as a child. Started me down the path to a career at sea (among other vices). Absolutely loved her. Have stayed aboard twice in Long Beach. If you get to go, book a starboard cabin as the port cabins have a view of the parking lot. Most any time except the holidays would be good. It books very full around the Holidays with parties, weddings, etc. Even Summer is not too bad as Coastal California is much cooler than here in Arizona. Have fun.:D

I stayed in Long Beach (not on the ship) in 2008 and spent an afternoon there. The ship was in bad shape but I understand a lot of work has been done since. I enjoyed wandering around and it gave me an idea what it would have been like.

I sat out on the deck with refreshments and had to guard my cookie from an aggressive seagull who was perched on the railing.

I sailed on Queen Mary in 1962 with my mother. She was very surprised when we boarded and found out we were sharing with two ladies. She asked for a change but all they had available was a first class stateroom (we were in cabin class). I remember going to see the stateroom which seemed huge to our small, double bunk one but my mother did not want to pay the difference (as I recall it was $200 more for the five day crossing) so we stayed where we were. The five days in that windowless closet (as it seemed to me) of a stateroom proved to me I could never stand an interior cabin again.

I know we had no formal clothing but don't remember having any trouble eating in the MDR. Of course, day wear was dressier then so I guess we got by. I remember them making Crepe Suzette at the table. I was excited to try it (since there was liquor in it - I was 11 :D) but didn't really like it.

Being a kid and not really understanding the class system, I roamed all over the ship.

My last recollection was getting up early to see the Statue of Liberty as we sailed into NYC.

Sorry, Hattie, for a thread detour, but these recollections of the Cunard ships from 50+ years ago resonate with me. I may have sailed on the Queen Mary in a pre-birth state - not sure of the exact timing, if you know what I mean. But I clearly remember sailing from Cherbourg to NYC on the QE in 1962. Like Scrapnana, we were in an inside cabin; my parents, younger sister, and me, in two sets of bunkbeds. Mom insisted we sit on deck one morning for the bouillon, even though it was cold and windy. My sister and I had the run of the ship and had a great time. I don't remember much formality but my sister and I wore dresses every day, because back then you dressed for travel!

Honestly, once a Cunarder always a Cunarder. Those are some of my fondest memories.

Hope you have a great time on the Queen Mary. I toured it once many years ago in Long Beach and though faded then, it still radiated style and glamour.

My first night at sea was in 1990 (on the Alaska Ferry Matanuska). In 1967 I was fresh out of college and have only vague memories of hearing news reports of Queen Mary's retirement plans.'']

I have visited the Queen 3 times, all in conjunction with Crystal Cruises. In 2004 I disembarked the Harmony in San Francisco and stayed on QM after a couple nights in Yosemite before catching my train back home. I had another couple nights on her in 2010 in the first of my now almost standard compound itineraries. After 2 nights on QM I boarded the Symphony LA to Sydney and then flew to Bangkok to board QV.

My most recent visit was in 2012. I disembarked the Symphony Easter morning and sampled the QM Sunday brunch. It is served in the original First Class Dining room and was a delicious meal in a very elegant setting.

A couple of impressions I will mention. While the ship is now mostly open for tours the exhibits portrayed how rigid the class system was in that era. I much prefer the Cunard of today. I also noted that the corridors were quite noticeably bowed and that standing at the bow on a cabin deck you could not see the aft end of the corridor because the midship ceiling blocked the view. Modern architecture allows level corridors which were not possible in those days.

I joined cruise critic in 2009, and here are links to a couple of posts on those visits:

2010, this post and the next one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=23340315&postcount=5

2012:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=28892485&postcount=74

Roy

I never sailed on QM but I and several business colleagues spent 5 nights on her for a trade show at Staples Center in LA. I actually ended up ditching my double cabin at check in and got a two room suite with two full bathrooms just for me!

We toured the ship, had some dinners on board, and overall had a wonderful time. Everyone in my party was happy that I suggested we stay on QM instead of some chain hotel in LA.

What a grand lady she is. :)

When I was with the airlines, we stayed on the Queen Mary as part of our Long Beach layover. We were given the rooms next to the dock. I didn't care as the portholes were very small. Nothing like the balconies that we see today.

I loved my stateroom. What I really loved was the bathroom. The bathtub was palatial. I was fascinated by all of the water taps. They were labeled hot salt/cold salt, hot fresh/cold fresh. I never use tubs in hotels. This was worth a bubble bath.

We would leave in her in the wee hours of the morning. She is haunted. When you look down the deserted corridor, you see shadows. As you walk down the corridor, you have a sense of the metal deck reverberating underneath your feet. You don't get the same sense in the QM2 corridors. They feel alive and the flooring doesn't reverberate like the Queen Mary.

She's worth a detour to stay aboard should you find yourself in the area. I loved exploring her. It's what made me want to do a TA. I'm glad that I have had that opportunity.

We would leave in her in the wee hours of the morning. She is haunted. When you look down the deserted corridor, you see shadows. As you walk down the corridor, you have a sense of the metal deck reverberating underneath your feet. You don't get the same sense in the QM2 corridors. They feel alive and the flooring doesn't reverberate like the Queen Mary.

I am glad someone else brought this up, because I was gonna. I am not one to believe in ghosts and ghouls and long legged beasties myself, but on one of my several visits I went down into the mechanical rooms that were preserved and let me tell you something, when you are down there alone, It. Is. Flat. Out. Creepy. Even the little area where you can look down on the propeller is spooky.

Regardless, I love going down to Long Beach when I am in SoCal and wander on the ship for hours. Dreaming. Wishing I had sailed her. In First Class, of course. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

My Father and Uncle crossed the North Atlantic on the Queen Mary during WW2 prior to D-Day. They told of how crowded their crossings were because she was carrying so many soldiers.

Thanks

I took a transatlantic on the Queen Mary from New York to Southampton. I sailed with two girl friends and the three of us shared a very small cabin class stateroom. I remember the thrill of sailing from New York. Guests were allowed onboard and there were many bon voyage parties. As we sailed away, those on shore threw streamers and confetti. It was a happy and exciting departure. In those days, there were very few organized activities. We were expected to entertain ourselves!! We ate at the same table for breakfast, lunch and dinner and had the same waiters. The food was delicious and there were so many choices.

After that voyage, I did not sail on Cunard again until 2004 when my husband and I sailed on the QM2. Since I had sailed on the QM, I wanted to try the QM2. I expected it to be a one time experience. We did not expect to fall in love with the QM2. We have had many wonderful voyages on that lovely ship.

One of my favorite parts of each transatlantic voyage on QM2, is the meeting for passengers who sailed on the QM. Each guest has fascinating stories to share and it is informative and entertaining. There have been WWII soldiers, war brides, and those who were crew on the ship.

I have visited the QM in Long Beach twice. Exploring the ship brings back a lot of good memories.

Never sailed Cunard but certainly have memories of the Queens.

Growing up in the 50s I saw them many times in Southampton together with their companions from other lines. My father took me to see SS United States some time shortly after she took the Blue Riband and QE(QM?) was in port that day too.

I was on a sailboat in Cherbourg when we found out that QM would be departing that day on her last scheduled sailing so we sailed early because the owner/skipper wanted to film her as she left and turned west towards NYC.

Happy memories !

Thanks

I remember going on board for a visit in late 1966 in New York when she was in service, not long after I started flying as cabin crew for BOAC as it was then. We were officially invited by the crew. I later visited her several times in Long Beach on trips there. I retired from British Airways in 2004 and now prefer to cruise. Having completed 16 trips now and been round the world on QE. Next summer am doing a transatlantic on QM2 as I can't wait to do a trip on a liner.