Holiday Cruising-What extra items do you bring on board for your cabin or gifts for c

lovesteak

We are cruising for the holidays and would love to know what you bring extra for your cabin or for the crew for the holidays.. We also have your kids so Santa has to make it on the ship for xmas as well. Any ideas or recommendations from past experiences? Do you do anything special for the crew during that time? Thanks in advance..

I packed a small Christmas tree and got some cheap scene setters from the dollar store.

1 was Santa looking in the window and I hung it on the balcony door. The other was a fireplace and I used command hooks to hang the stockings.

For door decoration I made a Christmas tree and made little present boxes underneath that had candy canes and wrist bands you could take. They were a big hit with guests and staff... With the new door decorating policy, I am sure that wouldn't pass.

There are pictures posted on my blog.

http://www.whenshiphappens.com/blog/2015/01/our-christmas-cruise-carnival-triumph.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out my cruise blog:

http://Www.whenshiphappens.com

We are cruising for the holidays and would love to know what you bring extra for your cabin or for the crew for the holidays.. We also have your kids so Santa has to make it on the ship for xmas as well. Any ideas or recommendations from past experiences? Do you do anything special for the crew during that time? Thanks in advance..

We are too! First time for us, a family of 4 with boys 17 and 11. But I have read a lot on here and gathered these ideas which you might find helpful.

Decorations: I found a collapsible 3 and 4' Christmas tinsel tree (no lights) set at Targ@t that is going so we can have a tree in our rooms. I also got hooks and $ Tree stockings to hang in our room. And gel stickers of x-mass lights to put on the mirror.

Gifts: We are taking a carry-on suit case, so nothing gets lost. And it has been pretty easy to shop in the digital age because you have all kinds of small electronic gadgets. Plus there is clothing. Small games and puzzles. Pretty much your standard x-mass gifts, downsized. Anything big is size is coming from the grandparents and staying at home under the tree. I cut a roll of wrapping paper in half and put 2 different kinds on it as well as have packed gift bags and tissue paper to wrap once on board. We have some stocking things but will grab candy and anything else at the supermarket before we leave to board.

Staff: I will also be packing some Christmas cards and slipping in some money as a gift for our Steward and MDR staff - "extra tip" so to speak.

Happy Holidays!

I packed a small Christmas tree and got some cheap scene setters from the dollar store.

1 was Santa looking in the window and I hung it on the balcony door. The other was a fireplace and I used command hooks to hang the stockings.

For door decoration I made a Christmas tree and made little present boxes underneath that had candy canes and wrist bands you could take. They were a big hit with guests and staff... With the new door decorating policy, I am sure that wouldn't pass.

There are pictures posted on my blog.

http://www.whenshiphappens.com/blog/2015/01/our-christmas-cruise-carnival-triumph.html

Why do you think the tree wouldn't pass?

This question comes up ALL the time. The crew comes from scores of countries, and what you like they may not, and, they have extremely small cabin space.

What they really would appreciate is CASH. If you want, put it in a nice generic holiday card.

This question comes up ALL the time. The crew comes from scores of countries, and what you like they may not, and, they have extremely small cabin space.

What they really would appreciate is CASH. If you want, put it in a nice generic holiday card.

Absolutely, cash is king, that is why they are there.

Everything must be flame resistant. I used tinsel for the tree and cardboard boxes for the presents.

My kids xmass presents are going to be wrapped in boxes, in wrapping paper and gift bags with tissue. Does that mean those aren't allowed either? I'm just wondering what others have encountered since the new policy because we bring on things all the time from hand sanitizer to tissues to paperwork and none of that is flame resistant.

My kids xmass presents are going to be wrapped in boxes, in wrapping paper and gift bags with tissue. Does that mean those aren't allowed either? I'm just wondering what others have encountered since the new policy because we bring on things all the time from hand sanitizer to tissues to paperwork and none of that is flame resistant.

Oh no! Inside your cabin is fine. I was referring to the door decorations, hanging in the hallway that we had outside of the cabin.

Many of the crew come from predominately non-Christian countries so they may not celebrate Christmas. Also, they have no room for useless junk in their cabins. If you feel that you must give gifts to the crew for a holiday that they may not celebrate, a thank you card with money inside is the best.

DON

Many of the crew come from predominately non-Christian countries so they may not celebrate Christmas. Also, they have no room for useless junk in their cabins. If you feel that you must give gifts to the crew for a holiday that they may not celebrate, a thank you card with money inside is the best.

DON

Philippines where many crew come from is most certainly a Christian country (about 85% Catholic) and South Asia (India and Sri Lanka) may not be Christian counties but still have significant numbers who are (SL is 8%; India over 25 milion)

Have a wonderful time - the ship will be particularly beautiful. We would pack only stockings with small stuffers. For gifts we traded names and you had to hunt for the perfect present in port and spend no more than $10 - we had a lot of laughs and a great time.

Whenever we sailed over the holidays, I never gave holiday cards. I used nautical cards to write a short note, enclose cash and wish them well in the New Year. Despite what religion they may or may not celebrate, all of us turn the calendar to a New Year and wishes for good health and happiness cannot be inappropriate to anyone.

We don't know if they have food allergies, we don't know if they are diabetic, we don't know if they don't like chocolate, we don't 'know' our stewards etc

I think it presumptuous for us to think they want any of the things we might give other than money. JMO........

They are very happy to receive gifts.

You know. Many of us give gifts to people at home and we don't always know whether they don't like chocolate. Yes, it is the thought that counts and if they can't have chocolate they will give it to another cruise member who does.

Be kind to the crew and do a little more for them on holidays.

As The Beatles said, Money Can't Buy Me Love.

Keith

They are very happy to receive gifts.

You know. Many of us give gifts to people at home and we don't always know whether they don't like chocolate. Yes, it is the thought that counts and if they can't have chocolate they will give it to another cruise member who does.

Be kind to the crew and do a little more for them on holidays.

As The Beatles said, Money Can't Buy Me Love.

Keith

And later the Fab Four said, "Give me mooooney..... That's what I want".

We do not pack anything extra. Well, one year I brought a card for DW.

The only extra we pack is cash. Cash for extra tips. We believe that is what they crew wants. And if that is what they want, that is what they will appreciate. Cannot imagine bring boxes of chocolates about for crew members who may or may not like or want them.

Cash is king.

Edited by iancal