Diamond to Diamond Plus

rj70056

Was wondering if anyone could possibly shed some light on this question?

The wife and I are currently diamond members and cruising in January. At the conclusion of the cruise we will be one point shy from diamond plus.

Question is, while on our January cruise can the on-board Loyalty Ambassador credit our January cruise one extra point or will we have to wait until the conclusion of a following cruise to reach D+? Thanks

I've never heard of that happening, but maybe I'm wrong.

To be fair, the point should be earned. Maybe think about taking a shorter cruise to get to that level if you really want to. Or upgrading to a suite if not in one already.

Well, Royal Caribbean switched from cruise-credits to days-sailed a while back.

I and others I know observed a loss of several days from the conversion of earlier cruise-credits to days.

For example, a 15 night Hawaii cruise in a suite got us three credits (21 nights) in the old method but after a call, it was recalculated to 30 nights in the new way.

So is there a possibility that your total days might be a candidate for recalculation?

It could be worth a call...

...I and others I know observed a loss of several days from the conversion of earlier cruise-credits to days.....

Royal did not use "days" for the conversion in Jan 2011. They only used cruise credits.

Royal did not use "days" for the conversion in Jan 2011. They only used cruise credits.

Exactly. There were also many others who did 3-4 day cruises before the conversion who got full credit for those cruises. It is what it is.

Bob, you know a lot about the conversion so maybe you can explain mine or maybe I was just lucky.

Before the conversion I had 3 seven day cruises, 2 of which were in suites, so in the current points system would have been 35 points. Under the old system it was 5 credits. Since then we have taken 7 more cruises, all 7 days and all in suites so that is 98 points. We are currently at 136 points so that minus 98 is 38. Did we get 1 extra point for each of the first 3 cruises? Thanks!

Bob, you know a lot about the conversion so maybe you can explain mine or maybe I was just lucky.

Before the conversion I had 3 seven day cruises, 2 of which were in suites, so in the current points system would have been 35 points. Under the old system it was 5 credits. Since then we have taken 7 more cruises, all 7 days and all in suites so that is 98 points. We are currently at 136 points so that minus 98 is 38. Did we get 1 extra point for each of the first 3 cruises? Thanks!

Here is the conversion formula they used:

If credits were 1-4, points = credits * 7 + 1

If credits were 5-7, points = credits * 7 + 3

If credits were > 7, points = credits * 7 + 13

You got 7 points for each of your 5 credits, plus a fudge factor of 3. Royal never publically explained the purpose of the fudge factor, but we speculated here that it was to cover those people who were one cruise away from moving up a level.

The wife and I are currently diamond members and cruising in January. At the conclusion of the cruise we will be one point shy from diamond plus.

Question is, while on our January cruise can the on-board Loyalty Ambassador credit our January cruise one extra point or will we have to wait until the conclusion of a following cruise to reach D+? Thanks

You'll have to take another cruise. I was one point shy of making Diamond when I completed a cruise. No freebie points could be given, I had to take another cruise and complete it to make Diamond.

Of course I am aware.

Using the calculator, my sister got:

7 day cruise = 1 pt

7 day cruise = 1 pt

15 night suite = 3 pts.

Conversion gave her (5*7) + 3 for 38 days.

After recalc by representative on the phone she got 7+7+30 for 44 days...

Edited by wblynch
sorry wrong numbers

Of course I am aware.

Using the calculator, my sister got:

7 day cruise = 1 pt

7 day cruise = 1 pt

14 night suite = 3 pts.

Conversion gave her (5*7) + 3 for 38 days.

After recalc by representative on the phone she got 7+7+28 for 42 days...

This is the first time I have heard of points being modified based on nights at sea for pre Jan 2011 cruises. Are you sure the 14 night cruise was before Jan 2011?

Edited by clarea

To OP.

I would also doubt you would be able to convince a loyalty worker to provide you with the point needed to attain the next level.

I have read on CC of many including us so close to next level that yes......had to wait to earn it ourselves.

No harm in trying.

Good luck and get back to us.

Yeah, it was in 2007 and I think I had the days wrong. We figured it was because back then a 12+ day cruise got two credits with one extra for the suite.

Since they have changed to days the suite credit is now double for all the days

Royal Caribbean was very kind to review her history and make the adjustment.

My point being that the OP might have a similar situation that, after evaluation, could result in that extra 'day'.

This is the first time I have heard of points being modified based on nights at sea for pre Jan 2011 cruises. Are you sure the 14 night cruise was before Jan 2011?

I think you are misunderstanding each other. The conversion took the cruise credits under the old system and converted them to points under the new system which ARE based on days at sea. In general, RCI did a good job of coming up with a formula that made sure everyone was treated fairly and was more or less in the same or better position (with regard to current level and prospects for next level) after conversion than before. There were, however, some folks who didn't fit the formula and got screwed to some extent. The one example I can think of is those who took cruises of 8-12 days which only got 1 credit under the old system, but obviously would get more than 7 points under the new. Under wblynch's example, the old system yileded 3 cruise credits which would convert to 21 points unde the new system. But an extra point each day for 14 days equals 28 points if the same cruise was taken under the new system. Anyway, my memory is that RCI was really good about making individual adjustments to fix these issues. I think that kind of adjustment is what we are talking about here.

Edited by mjldvlks

I think you are misunderstanding each other. The conversion took the cruise credits under the old system and converted them to points under the new system which ARE based on days at sea. In general, RCI did a good job of coming up with a formula that made sure everyone was treated fairly and was more or less in the same or better position (with regard to current level and prospects for next level) after conversion than before. There were, hoever, some folks who didn't fit the formula and got screwed to some extent. The one example I can think of is those who took cruises of 8-12 days which only got 1 credit under the old system, but obviously would get more than 7 points under the new. wblynch's example is another -- 3 credits would ordinarily convert to 21 points since you get an extra point every day instead of just one additional cruise credit. But taking the same cruise under the new system would result in 28 points. My memory is that RCI was really good about making individual adjustments to fix these issues. I think that kind of adjustment is what we are talking about here.

Not to be picky, but it is based on nights.

In football you don't get four points if you make it to the one yard line but fall to score a touchdown. In basketball you don't get one point for a ball that goes in and out. In baseball you don't get 3/4 of a point for getting to third base.

On my Explorer cruise there were lots of people with 174 points. You need 175 points to be diamond plus.

... my memory is that RCI was really good about making individual adjustments to fix these issues. I think that kind of adjustment is what we are talking about here.

Yes. I was not suggesting anyone should get unearned credit but their credits could have been calculated short somewhere along the line.

I think you are misunderstanding each other.....

Could be.

I'm interpreting wblynch as saying that the sister initially got 21 points for a 14 night pre-2011 cruise in a suite. This would make sense since that cruise should have gotten 3 cruise credits. Sometime after the Jan 2011 conversion, C&A was contacted and was convinced to recalculate the points for that pre-2011 cruise based on nights, and the point total for that cruise was changed to 28 points.

That's the way I understand what wblynch is saying, and I find it hard to believe, because if C&A started a precedent of recalculating pre-2011 cruises based on nights, they would have thousands of people calling to do the same thing.

Could be.

I'm interpreting wblynch as saying that the sister initially got 21 points for a 14 night pre-2011 cruise in a suite. This would make sense since that cruise should have gotten 3 cruise credits. Sometime after the Jan 2011 conversion, C&A was contacted and was convinced to recalculate the points for that pre-2011 cruise based on nights, and the point total for that cruise was changed to 28 points.

That's the way I understand what wblynch is saying, and I find it hard to believe, because if C&A started a precedent of recalculating pre-2011 cruises based on nights, they would have thousands of people calling to do the same thing.

But it is my understanding that is exactly what happened for folks who got LESS credit under the conversion than they would have earned for similar cruises under the new system. I saw many posts of folks who got corrections and I think I know one personally. As I said, my specific memory is for folks who took cruises longer than 7 days but less than the length that earned 2 credits under the old system. They got some additional adjustments under the conversion process. As I said, I think RCI bent over backwards to make sure no one got screwed in the conversion. One of their shining moments in customer service. Now whether they would still make adjustments 5 years after the fact I have no idea.

The situation I know of personally was a friend who was in a position that her next cruise [which was already booked] would have earned Diamond under the old system but after conversion, under the new system she need 1 or 2 additional cruises. My memory is that she was advanced to Diamond after the next cruise just as she would have been under the old system. I don't recall specifically why the new system + conversion changed her advancement. For us the conversion formula left us pretty much where we were so no big deal.

Edited by mjldvlks

But it is my understanding that is exactly what happened for folks who got LESS credit under the conversion than they would have earned for similar cruises under the new system. I saw many posts of folks who got corrections and I think I know one personally. As I said, my specific memory is for folks who took cruises longer than 7 days but less than the length that earned 2 credits under the old system. They got some additional adjustments under the conversion process. As I said, I think RCI bent over backwards to make sure no one got screwed in the conversion. One of their shining moments in customer service. Now whether they would still make adjustments 5 years after the fact I have no idea.

The situation I know of personally was a friend who was in a position that her next cruise would have earned Diamond under the old system but after conversion, under the new system she need 1 or 2 additional cruises. My memory is that she was advanced to Diamond after the next cruise just as she would have been under the old system. I don't recall specifically why the new system + conversion changed her advancement. For us the conversion formula left us pretty much where we were so no big deal.

I know of people that got corrections because their cruises were very close to the Jan 2011 conversion date. A typical example would have been someone who took a 3-day cruise that ended before the conversion date but whose points were credited after the conversion date. These people were able to get the 3 points changed to 7 points.

However, I had not heard of anyone who was able to get their pre Jan 2011 cruise points re-evaluated using post Jan 2011 rules.

I know of people that got corrections because their cruises were very close to the Jan 2011 conversion date. A typical example would have been someone who took a 3-day cruise that ended before the conversion date but whose points were credited after the conversion date. These people were able to get the 3 points changed to 7 points.

However, I had not heard of anyone who was able to get their pre Jan 2011 cruise points re-evaluated using post Jan 2011 rules.

Lost over 100+ points after the conversion, due to our taking longer cruises, and no adjustment was made for us.