New mattresses on the Freedom absolutely hard as a rock!

After reading all of these comments regarding the mattresses recently placed on FOS and other ships, I've pretty much convinced myself that we will be purchasing a mattress topper before our cruise to bring along. Although we will be flying, we are flying SW and so we will get 4 free bags (between my husband and I) and we can put the topper in one of those bags. It's worth the $100 (give or take) to help me get 7 good nights' rest.

It's just such a shame that we have to do such a thing. RCI is going to have to really WOW me in all other respects to overshadow me having to bring my own bedding. [emoji53]

I just spent time at a hotel on land.....mattress was very hard. So it is NOT just the chance you take when going on a cruise ship. IF the mattress was so soft or had springs poking through that would be terrible as well.

I love a firm mattress, but even for me this was firmer than I would like. We have stayed at this hotel before and had a terrific mattress. We will go there again, and take our chances.

2 mattress toppers, the comforter folded in half, a pillow at the small of my back, and my trusty heating pad. Also, Tylenol PM and one sleeping pill. I actually slept, and I don't hurt all over this morning. Our attendant is going to bring a second comforter for me to use for covering up. He's a wonderful, kind, efficient attendant, Bernie. Thanks to these items, I'll get through the seven days. I won't go through this again... If I had a terrible bed in a hotel room, I would simply cancel my reservation and move to a new hotel...can't do that on a full cruise ship. Hubby is fine! Even though the ONE excursion we ordered so far was canceled (Discovery cruise on Labadee), I will do my best to find some fun on this one last cruise :)

At least at a hotel you have options of going to another room, hotel or going to a store and getting a topper.

I have heard of some very creative ways that room stewards have made the beds more comfortable for the guests. I don't expect someone should need to carry a mattress topper with them (and I can drive to the Florida ports).

We were on FOS week after Thanksgiving. Our first time in a Grand Suite. We couldn't believe how hard the bed was! Literally thought we were laying on Plywood. We were told no more egg crates so we made the best of it. I was in traction the next morning. Talked to the suite concierge and by day 3 we had an egg crate topper on our mattress. One topper was not enough. We spoke to the room attendant more (very nice man) and had to get the concierge involved again. We only slept barely comfortable with 4 egg crate toppers. I know if sounds crazy but it was that hard. It took a few days of being off the ship to feel normal in my back again. I love cruising but if we find that this is how it will be, I doubt we'd continue to cruise :(

Great room attendant - he brought another topper--but three is too many and having yet another topper doesn't make it any better. It's night two, and again I can't get comfortable. We have a 9:15 a.m. excursion. I hope I can get some sleep before morning. Took a sleeping pill and hope I don't wake up in too much pain. All I want is to get back home to my own bed. I won't be cruising again.

Edited by Sharon Sails

I understand completely. I didn't get a full nights sleep the entire cruise. The cushioned loungers in our balcony were more comfortable than the bed. We took a long nap out there one day. I sure hope RC sees that this needs to be changed. They will lose a lot of customers if not.

The issue is for anyone who is following the thread and wondering is that there is no box spring the mattresses are basically hotel quality extra firm and with no box spring to add any give, it is not much different than sleeping on the floor.

I have been on several Celebrity cruises and they seem to take a whole different approach with high quality mattresses on all their ships.

,Celebrity eXhale™ bedding featuring custom premium mattresses, plush duvets and pillows and 100% pure cotton linens,

http://www.funinthesun.info/sailing/7-nights-celebrity-cruises-celebrity-summit-4-9-16

For me it is just one more item that makes going back on a RCCL ship a deal breaker.

We had the same problem with an extremely hard bed on the Allure over Thanksgiving. Our room steward was really good and took care of the problem with a bed topper once I mentioned it. But if this is how all the beds are on RCCL, I am worried about not getting as lucky on our next cruise with such a quick resolution. Obviously a comfortable bed is extremly important on a cruise because you don't have alot of options.

The issue is for anyone who is following the thread and wondering is that there is no box spring the mattresses are basically hotel quality extra firm and with no box spring to add any give, it is not much different than sleeping on the floor.

I have been on several Celebrity cruises and they seem to take a whole different approach with high quality mattresses on all their ships.

,Celebrity eXhale™ bedding featuring custom premium mattresses, plush duvets and pillows and 100% pure cotton linens,

http://www.funinthesun.info/sailing/7-nights-celebrity-cruises-celebrity-summit-4-9-16

For me it is just one more item that makes going back on a RCCL ship a deal breaker.

I may be wrong, but I don't recall ever seeing a box spring on a Royal ship

Great room attendant - he brought another topper--but three is too many and having yet another topper doesn't make it any better. It's night two, and again I can't get comfortable. We have a 9:15 a.m. excursion. I hope I can get some sleep before morning. Took a sleeping pill and hope I don't wake up in too much pain. All I want is to get back home to my own bed. I won't be cruising again.

Sharon, I'm so sorry too hear that this is happening to you, I really feel for you.

I know how horrible I would be feeling if it were me.

We were on FOS week after Thanksgiving. Our first time in a Grand Suite. We couldn't believe how hard the bed was! Literally thought we were laying on Plywood. We were told no more egg crates so we made the best of it. I was in traction the next morning. Talked to the suite concierge and by day 3 we had an egg crate topper on our mattress. One topper was not enough. We spoke to the room attendant more (very nice man) and had to get the concierge involved again. We only slept barely comfortable with 4 egg crate toppers. I know if sounds crazy but it was that hard. It took a few days of being off the ship to feel normal in my back again. I love cruising but if we find that this is how it will be, I doubt we'd continue to cruise :(

I have to wonder about the statement you make "I was in traction the next morning" would seem to me to be 'over the top'.....and it puts doubt into everything else you say. If you never cruise again, someone else will fill that cabin -- I have no fear of that.

I have to wonder about the statement you make "I was in traction the next morning" would seem to me to be 'over the top'.....and it puts doubt into everything else you say. If you never cruise again, someone else will fill that cabin -- I have no fear of that.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I was involved in a car accident back in 1998 and my back has never been the same. Usually when I travel, I take a heating pad just in case I need it. I haven't taken one with me cruising in a few years because the beds have always been good. This is the first time I've had a problem. What I said is true. My husband had to help me out of bed in the middle of the night because I could barely move. This is not exaggerated at all. We are not big complainers and we know that our room attendant tried his best. Unfortunately, it wouldn't feel like vacation if I had to sleep like that again and go through the pain. This is why I said we would have to choose not to cruise. Of course the cabin would get filled. I found your comment to be quite rude.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I was involved in a car accident back in 1998 and my back has never been the same. Usually when I travel, I take a heating pad just in case I need it. I haven't taken one with me cruising in a few years because the beds have always been good. This is the first time I've had a problem. What I said is true. My husband had to help me out of bed in the middle of the night because I could barely move. This is not exaggerated at all. We are not big complainers and we know that our room attendant tried his best. Unfortunately, it wouldn't feel like vacation if I had to sleep like that again and go through the pain. This is why I said we would have to choose not to cruise. Of course the cabin would get filled. I found your comment to be quite rude.

I have never seen a cruise ship have the ability to 'put someone in traction' ON the SAILING.....which is what your previous post implied. Having a heating pad on a cruise (which you say you did not have this time) is quite different from asserting you 'were in traction the next morning'.

I wasn't being rude, I was going by what word YOU previously wrote.

We'd never had any uncomfortable mattresses on any of our cruises...always slept like a baby.

Until our cruise on Liberty of the Seas last March! (Grand Suite 1252.) That bed felt like sleeping on a piece of wood, with a very thin layer of padding. It was beyond being a very firm mattress. I've never experienced anything like it. The pull out sofa that my daughter's friend slept on was more comfortable than our beds. We ended up having them put the beds together, which gave us a little more padding, plus egg crates.

If I had to guess I would guess Sharon was being sarcastic about the traction.

If not maybe she has a portable device she carries on vacation with her.

Yes, I'm sorry, I didn't realize the meaning of the word traction. I use it as slang for I could barely move. Sorry about the confusion.

If I had to guess I would guess Sharon was being sarcastic about the traction.

If not maybe she has a portable device she carries on vacation with her.

For sarcasm to be effective it needs tonality and there is no tonality when reading words....if she was trying to be sarcastic, then she should have put 'LOL' after the phrase, and she did not. If she had a portable device perhaps she should have said that as well, to give her commentary credibility.

JMO.