New mattresses on the Freedom absolutely hard as a rock!

Where did you get your eggcrate and do you pack it in a suitcase?

I bought this before XMAS when they had all sizes including CA King on sale for $29.99 http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2275891/the-big-one-gel-memory-foam-mattress-topper.jsp?color=Blue. Since then, it's been around $50 to $60 though.

It folds in thirds and then fits in a compression bag, and then inside a duffle bag. I just measured the compression bag that we're storing it in and when it's not compressed, it's about 22" long by about 11" in diameter - like a big sausage. :) I compressed it and then put it inside a duffle bag where there was extra room if needed to pack jackets or other soft clothing items. The compression bag is like something that you'd store a sleeping bag in, and has straps that you cinch up to make it smaller.

Since we either drive or fly Southwest to the port, this extra duffle bag isn't too much trouble.

Totally agree that you have to experience it to really understand. 4 very hard beds on Navigator and one on the Liberty, and I'll now travel with my own CA King size memory foam eggcrate topper. It fit the bed perfectly and we even easily tore off the extra to fit the curved RC bed and it will go with me on future cruises. It is ridiculous to have to resort to this, but not being able to sleep is not an option!

I was on the freedom and the new bed we had was not rounded anymore . We could not walk beside the bed and cabnet/ couch we had to climb over the bed to get beside it . And yes it was hard as a rock the floor was softer !

" Bed comfort is subjective. Your description is slightly over the top and we are taught in statistics to throw out extreme opinions."

She knows something about stats...woo hoo! Hope you LOVE the beds. HAHA:p

She does, but it was my comment.

You really are bitter, must be the bed :p

On Nov 2015 Serenade 10 day cruise my bed was terrible. Steward ignored my request for egg crate and nothing else was done for us. Worst 10 nights of any of our cruises so far.After reading this thread It seems like RCCL has purchased inferior mattresses for most of their ships. I'm worried about my next cruise on Oasis next Nov. 7-10 days of rotten sleep goes a long way to ruin a cruise. Since they made this choice of mattresses they can remedy the problem...but enough of us have to complain.

Maybe a petition to evaluate and hopefully change out offending mattresses on

those ships. It will take months to get this to their attention by way of after cruise comment reviews. I feel this is a very depressing addition to all of our cruise experiences.

I posted this after my Freedom cruise on 12/20/15.....

MY main point now is that EVERY bed I saw stripped (I saw about 10 rooms doors open) had an egg crate or a thick padded quilt on top of each bed since they were stripped and changing over. The room steward had tried to soften each bed.

I talked to him about the beds and he said the beds are hard and he tries to soften them. He knows it is an issue and he plans ahead.

I just got off Freedom 2 days ago. 12/20/15 sailing. I was in a JS and my bed was fine. I do not like firm beds and I checked the bed as soon as the room became available at 1pm.

My BED review for Freedom:

I found a new egg crate on the bed. The bed was fine with the foam over the mattress. I thought it was very comfortable and I am picky. At the end of the cruise as we were leaving on Sunday morning I looked in from the hallway at some of the rooms being made up. The beds were stripped and some had egg crates and others had thick pads put over the mattresses. I was on the 10th floor in the JS, and other suites area. I don't know about other rooms but the beds all looked like they had SOMETHING over the mattress.

We also had a sofa bed in our room that my daughter slept on. She is 5'3" and did not fit on the sofa bed but it was a comfortable mattress. She slept diagonally on the bed to fit.

My in-laws were in an owners suite down the hall. Their bed was also comfortable, not at all hard, but I did not take their bed apart and investigate. I just sat on it for a minute to test it.

They had a grand child on a sofa bed that was the old fashioned kind that has springs and pulls out..... IT was awful! Horrible! Terrible! Very worn out and needs to be replaced! For an owners suite I felt that RCCL could do much better. I sat on the bed after hearing my mother in law begging the room steward for anything better. The room steward was distraught and desperate to help her. They had called at 1am. the night before to get help from housekeeping... They brought an extra mattress and plopped it on top of the old one.... Not a good option.... I love RCCL but I thought an owners suite needs a new sofa bed that is usable since the price is sky high compared to just a regular rooms and the sofa beds are fine in regular rooms.

I can't wait 'til lala jumps onto her rock mattress in March, and cannot complain, as she says we are all complainers. Best of luck to you, lulu.

Those who want us to complain: RCI does NOT care. They fill the ships, the money comes in. People will suffer for a cheap vacation, and cruising is about as cheap as it comes for seven days.

Best wishes to all of you who hope that egg crate toppers will help. Two and a duvet and I still couldn't sleep. I'm exhausted and counting the days 'til I'm home in my own bed to get some decent sleep again. A sad parting of ways, but I will NEVER cruise RCI again. They have lost at least two diamond-plus members.

I'm out of here now: it's 8:35 a.m. at Grand Cayman, and I need to find a place to rest all day.:(

Seriously people are mean on this thread. My comments were towards mattresses on a ship not towards any people.

You had something negative to say about Royal caribbean. To some here, that is the same as insulting their mother. :rolleyes:

People are sharing their experiences with the mattresses, so I am not sure why certain people feel the need to personally attack them. So childish and rude! Obviously different people have varying comfort levels, but there are too many people complaining about the beds to be so dismissive. I appreciate the heads up. Seriously hoping that our bed on Allure in April is comfortable as a good sleep is very important to me and I have always loved the beds on all my cruises.

All of the RCI cruise ships now have these wonderful mattresses. Just a heads up to anyone with a cruise in their future. I, for one, will never return. Sleep is important to all creatures, especially humans. A vacation without sleep is a vacation in hell. I don't need that.

Good luck to you all! And yes, there are always ugly trolls on every kind of posting. They like to think their inferiority makes them superior. Who cares. lalalalalala la.;)

People are sharing their experiences with the mattresses, so I am not sure why certain people feel the need to personally attack them. So childish and rude! Obviously different people have varying comfort levels, but there are too many people complaining about the beds to be so dismissive. I appreciate the heads up. Seriously hoping that our bed on Allure in April is comfortable as a good sleep is very important to me and I have always loved the beds on all my cruises.

What people are sharing is their expirence with "1" mattress in "1" cabin when their are thousands. So, unless they went around to try all the cabins or had all the passengers to their cabin, pretty much it's an experience with 1. Others have posted that theirs was fine. Of course with the usual cc drama, it's all the mattresses on a ship:rolleyes:

Now, where are those aspirin:D

All of the RCI cruise ships now have these wonderful mattresses. Just a heads up to anyone with a cruise in their future. I, for one, will never return. Sleep is important to all creatures, especially humans. A vacation without sleep is a vacation in hell. I don't need that.

Good luck to you all! And yes, there are always ugly trolls on every kind of posting. They like to think their inferiority makes them superior. Who cares. lalalalalala la.;)

I got off of Allure two weeks ago and I had extremely comfortable mattresses on which they also put an egg crate. I hate stiff beds and I actually found the bed on the cruise to be more comfortable than the one at my own home...

I got off of Allure two weeks ago and I had extremely comfortable mattresses on which they also put an egg crate. I hate stiff beds and I actually found the bed on the cruise to be more comfortable than the one at my own home...

This is comforting to me...we get on the Allure in June. Was on Navigator a year ago and while the bed was firm even with the topper I was still able to sleep because I was wore out from the days events. Fingers crossed for a comfortable stay on the Allure.

It is absolutely ridiculous that guests should have to consider taking their own egg crate on board because the mattresses suck now :rolleyes:

Absolutely !

Unfortunately people want and need to sleep and since Royal went with such hard matresses what's else can folks do but make it better for themselves.

The topper I have here at home is real nice it's not the cheap egg crate foam. If you take it out of the box but still keep it wrapped it can fit in a shopping bag and easy enough to carry on....I've been doing my homework cause I'm carrying , might as well stick a couple bottles of wine in the bag too:D

Edited by Midwestgal

Technically you are the one being insulting and troll like. Must be the sleep deprivation

We have had very old, soft and tired mattresses in the past on many RCI ships that were kind of broken in the middle from long term use or too much weight or jumping on beds. That mattresses created real back pain! We had to ask for new ones several times so we are now looking forward to try the new and firm ones. Can only get better!