Best crew from other ships to go to Koningsdam?

sugcarol

Our neighbors returned from their cruise and onboard they were told the crew for the Koningsdam will be taken from other ships and only the best based on reviews will get to go. Has anyone else heard this?

I don't know if this will make a lot of sense out of context, but opening a new ship is a way to polish a resume. From what I understand, it's not financially lucrative, but it's good for your career. If you've worked for a large corporation, this probably makes sense.

The concierge that I referred to in my earlier post also mentioned that they will spend a lot of weeks working on the ship together before the first guest ever steps on board. I'm sure Copper will know more about that but I found that interesting and it wasn't something I really realized until she told us.

There's a reason the same HD has taken/will be taking out the last three new ships covering a time span of seven years

Absolutely. Stan Kuppens does a great job. He took out Noordam :) and as you say Eurodam and N.A. He has spent a great deal of time in Italy with Koningsdam. Wonderful HD.

The concierge that I referred to in my earlier post also mentioned that they will spend a lot of weeks working on the ship together before the first guest ever steps on board. I'm sure Copper will know more about that but I found that interesting and it wasn't something I really realized until she told us.

Someone has to set up Front Office, GRM's office, Neptune Lounge office materials etc

The concierges are all Front Office people and they rotate in and out of Neptune Lounge.

Veteran crew members normally are in no hurry to go to a new ship.

I recall our steward on one of the Vista's a number of years ago. He came from one of the other ships, he disliked the Vista class. Called them "too big".

Part of the key players of the crew from Nautical, Engineering and Hotel Depts have already been in Marghera, Italy for a while working with/overseeing certain aspects of the new built with staff from Fincantieri. As the ship nears completion, more and more of her assigned crew will fly to Italy to assist in finishing, testing and training on/of the ship.

When she takes to the Adriatic for her sea trials all of her Nautical and Engineering crew will be onboard. It's kinda like a building block process. Most crew will be put up in local hotels and/or apts until the ship is made "liveable" and they start sleeping onboard. Lot of hard work goes into it but it's a fascinating process to see a ship "grow" from the first laying of her steel

What I have been told by a crew member of HAL that has a few years experience is that the wait staff and room stewards are refusing to take contracts on the new ship because they will have more work with less tips. Since their paychecks are mostly tips, they don't want to go unless they are made to.

What I have been told by a crew member of HAL that has a few years experience is that the wait staff and room stewards are refusing to take contracts on the new ship because they will have more work with less tips. Since their paychecks are mostly tips, they don't want to go unless they are made to.

why less tips? please explain the theory behind this -

Sounds a bit odd to me. As far as waiters are concerned, more work means more drinks served, and that usually equates to more tips.

Why will the room staff have more work and how will their tips be less because they are on a new ship?

Sorry, you received bunk info

I don't believe that's true. A friend of mine is a HAL MDR Manager, and he has never mentioned anything like this. In fact, many staff are anxious to be assigned to the new ship.

I don't believe that's true. A friend of mine is a HAL MDR Manager, and he has never mentioned anything like this. In fact, many staff are anxious to be assigned to the new ship.

I agree.

It is a lot of work for housekeeping and dining teams to get everything stocked, stacked, placed and ready but they are proud to be on the new ship.

People should know better than to believe everything you hear aboard ships. This reminds me of when I was on the final world cruise for the QE2. Shared a cab in Barbados with some people from another ship who were returning to their ship and listened to them talk about how they had "heard" how awful it was aboard the QE2. Surly staff because they would soon have no jobs, poor service because there were no experienced waiters and cabin stewards since they had all been moved to the Victoria, torn up ship with dirty cabins ..... and on and on. Finally had to say something and they were is disbelief that all was fine on board because they heard it from someone who heard it from someone who heard it from someone ...... who said they were on the QE2. The fact that I was on the QE2 meant nothing to them. Ships are the greatest rumor mills going. Someday I am going to write a book shipboard rumors.

I am sure some good staff will be transferred from other ships but it will be mix ....

By the way, there were some wild rumors on the QE2 that trip also.

Susan

That's what we were told by a steward on our recent Eurodam cruise. I know I would much prefer to work on a new ship! :)

I can't think of any reason why tips might be lower on a new ship. If anything, I would guess that the passenger-to-crew ratio would be higher on a larger ship, meaning a larger HSC pool (their main income source) would be shared by fewer crew.

Edited by jtl513

IF there was a complaint about low tips, it might refer to that period of time when they are working in Italy getting the ship stocked, supplied, dressed and ready for pax. They work for weeks with no paying guests aboard.

I wouldn't begin to guess what the financial arrangement is between HAL (or any cruise line) and the crew who work on the ship in such circumstance but I would 'guess' there is some additional compensation.

Edited by sail7seas

I find it interesting that with two ships leaving the fleet at the same time a new one comes on line, that a lot of the crew would be from the Stantandam and Ryndam.

Edited by caltnl