Forget Harmony's Ultimate Abyss and Get Me Fast WiFi Fleet Wide!

I couldn't care less about a 216 foot slide. Get me fast cheap dependable (fleet wide) WiFi instead! We shouldn't have to pay more than $30 per cruise for our WiFi.

Not for me- if you need it, pay for it.

I go on vacation to get away, not keep connected. I don't want to pay for your service.

I would buy the drink package if it included wifi. What I'm concerned about now is the dependability of it. The wifi I paid $90 for on Independence was the WORST connection I've ever had. I spent a full 13-15 hours spread across two days with no access to service. Made me so mad. I think its because a lot of people bought one-day access during peak times but still. It was horrible.

In contrast, I paid $60 on Carnival and had no issues whatever. Switched between devices with no problems and downloaded books to my Kindle without delay. Royal needs to get VOOM on all their ships and make it stable. Independence was not worth the price.

Personally, I think the only fast internet on the ship is the Next Cruise office. After all, if they can't connect, they can't sell more cruises.

On Legend (before the split out the Loyalty Ambassador and Cruise Sales) they were able to download my cruise history while I waited at their desk.

ON Serenade, the Loyalty Ambassador had a desk on Deck 5, w/ a notebook, and the internet didn't work.

Edited by knittinggirl

Has anyone succeeded in getting a credit back to your account for really horrible internet service? I'm loathe to pay nearly $100 or more for a week of service that isn't actually reliable again.

Yes, I've been with folks that have gotten for a refund after a day of trying to use the internet. I don't think they would give a refund after 6 days of using it, but if you hit them up right away, I would expect them to be more cooperative.

Has anyone succeeded in getting a credit back to your account for really horrible internet service? I'm loathe to pay nearly $100 or more for a week of service that isn't actually reliable again.

If you go to guest services within the first day or two I would expect no problems in getting a full refund. Don't expect to get a refund by complaining the last day.

I couldn't care less about a 216 foot slide. Get me fast cheap dependable (fleet wide) WiFi instead! We shouldn't have to pay more than $30 per cruise for our WiFi.

WHY? is it some sort of constitutional right that WiFi needs to be free world wide?

how in the world did we all survive before Al Gore invented the interweb?! :rolleyes:

That's the thing - it worked on the FIRST DAY. Then on the second it slowed down to a crawl (I guess everyone was checking out things to do in port), third day it went back up while everyone was off-ship in port and the fourth day it was horrid again.

Back and forth. I wouldn't want a full credit back after the first time I used it because having SOME internet (in order to check on business stuff) is better than none at all. What I wanted is like a $15-$20 credit for the days that I couldn't use it. Like when I would check my email in at 6:46am and the internet was so bad that I could get enough reception for new emails to populate until 9am in the morning.

I know that's subjective...which is why I didn't ask for a credit and noted that I 'only' lost 12-15 hours worth of internet but when you're on a 4-day cruise and paying $90, that's pretty horrific.

Edited by cruisevv

Not for me- if you need it, pay for it.

I go on vacation to get away, not keep connected. I don't want to pay for your service.

You are always paying for something you don't use. I don't drink coffee. I can't stand the smell. Should coffee not be complimentary because I shouldn't pay for something I don't use?

If you don't want to use Wifi don't. It's your vacation. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be included. The idea that cruise lines should not offer "extras" because someone is paying for a service they don't use is antiquated and a weak argument.

You are always paying for something you don't use. I don't drink coffee. I can't stand the smell. Should coffee not be complimentary because I shouldn't pay for something I don't use?

If you don't want to use Wifi don't. It's your vacation. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be included. The idea that cruise lines should not offer "extras" because someone is paying for a service they don't use is antiquated and a weak argument.

most people do not want to pay an inflated price just to have items included that they will never use and would rather pay less as a base price and have the OPTION to purchase ancillary items IF THEY WANT.

Be careful what you wish for. Can you imagine 2000+ people all on their cell phones using whats App talk and talking loud to their friends / Family whoever saying look at me I am on ship on vacation. Or trying to relax on a sun lounger with all these loud cell phone conversations going on around you.

Different strokes for different folks, I know. But when that day comes I am done cruising.

That's an interesting comparison.

Alcohol isn't free, either. Should it be free?

As I see it, the cost of high speed internet via a satellite on a rocking ship probably costs more like alcohol than coffee, which is why it's not free nor should it be free.

Ships don't have a wire connecting them to some hub like your home, nor can they access cell towers like your phone does. The system is far, far from antiquated, and costs a lot of money.

If you want all of the extras complimentary, go pay for an expensive cruise.

Calling my argument antiquated and weak is, well... you know. :D

Personally, I think the only fast internet on the ship is the Next Cruise office. After all, if they can't connect, they can't sell more cruises.

On Legend (before the split out the Loyalty Ambassador and Cruise Sales) they were able to download my cruise history while I waited at their desk.

ON Serenade, the Loyalty Ambassador had a desk on Deck 5, w/ a notebook, and the internet didn't work.

On vacation,which also for me means a very nice break from any kind of connectivity, period.

most people do not want to pay an inflated price just to have items included that they will never use and would rather pay less as a base price and have the OPTION to purchase ancillary items IF THEY WANT.

Even in the base price there will be something someone doesn't use because all people are different. I just used coffee as an example because it's something I don't care about but many people do.

When I get a suite I pay extra in the base price for amenities such as a coffee pot in the room. Is it possible to reduce my base price since I won't use it?

What is valuable to me may not be to others and vice versa. If you don't want to use it don't but that doesn't mean it's an ancillary item and can not be included in a cruise fare. Obviously, RC places a value on wifi and it is important to people or RC would not be offering it for free on the Majesty after dry dock. It's 2015 and there is a whole generation of people that want to be connected on vacation.

Even in the base price there will be something someone doesn't use because all people are different. I just used coffee as an example because it's something I don't care about but many people do.

When I get a suite I pay extra in the base price for amenities such as a coffee pot in the room. Is it possible to reduce my base price since I won't use it?

What is valuable to me may not be to others and vice versa. If you don't want to use it don't but that doesn't mean it's an ancillary item and can not be included in a cruise fare. Obviously, RC places a value on wifi and it is important to people or RC would not be offering it for free on the Majesty after dry dock. It's 2015 and there is a whole generation of people that want to be connected on vacation.

Again, cost wise, I'm not sure how one can equate coffee to satellite based internet service.

Also, just because you want it so bad does not make it so wanted that everyone should pay for it.

If you want to have free wi-fi included, feel free to sail always on the Majesty once it gets it.

At this point O3b, the company that RCI uses for internet has 12 satellites in orbit with 8 more to come by mid 2018. Recently I read that RCI by itself uses 4 of the satellites. This costs serious money and so it has to charge for it. Maybe when OneWeb comes along starting in a few years things will change but not at the moment.

Yes, many times I went to Guest Services and they were nice enough to credit me with the used free time. As a matter of fact on one of my earlier Oasis cruise the GS was having their own problems with the slowness. I remember, trying to print my airline boarding pass and it kept freezing and finally after some 8 times and 45 minutes later was successful in printing two boarding passes.

However, the speed on the Quantum was exceptional and it is my understanding, from recent posts, that both the Oasis and Allure have the same.

I paid for Internet on Princess, and it went down for a day. But they refunded a huge chunk of what we'd paid.