Do you think HAL will cruise to Cuba?

kevingastreich

They haven't yet put a stop to any of the changes already made thus far. Congress didn't say Boo this week, as far as I have heard, when it was announced commercial airlines can have regularly scheduled flights. That was a major step, after the previous major step of adding so many categories of folks who can legally travel to Cuba now. And, of course, concurrently we have the actions being taken as to Guantanamo. Our Embassy is open and our flag is flying in Havana.

Edited by sail7seas

They haven't yet put a stop to any of the changes already made thus far. Congress didn't say Boo this week, as far as I have heard, when it was announced commercial airlines can have regularly scheduled flights. That was a major step, after the previous major step of adding so many categories of folks who can legally travel to Cuba now. And, of course, concurrently we have the actions being taken as to Guantanamo. Our Embassy is open and our flag is flying in Havana.

Sure; it has to do with when you come back to the States, fill out one of those nice U.S. Immigration forms, and answer the CBP official when he/she asks you where you're coming from at the face-to-face. As of today, there will be consequences ($$$) unless you belong to one of the, as of yet, few categories that allow you to go there

Edited by Copper10-8

Although our embassy is finally flying the American Flag in Havana it has really been in operation since 1971 in the same place overlooking the harbor. Really nothing more than a name change for the officials and the space they have been in for 40 some odd years. I know, since I have had several conversations with them over the past several years.

The 12 cultural "people to People" approved programs have been the same for years.

Regular scheduled flights might be taking place but all the rest of the requirements established by the Office of Foreign Assets Control, as to what you can do, what you MUST do including all spending limits and product purchase rules are in effect and will remain so until Congress makes the changes.

OMO

bosco

Sure; it has to do with when you come back to the States, fill out one of those nice U.S. Immigration forms, and answer the CBP official when he/she asks you where you're coming from at the face-to-face. As of today, there will be consequences ($$$) unless you belong to one of the, as of yet, few categories that allow you to go there

Yes, Copper, I understand that is the law right now and I wouldn't dream of violating that law.

However, what I am saying is I think that is going to change rather rapidly. Congress makes laws except when laws are made by Executive Order. So far, we have had many categories of exceptions to permitted travel added, regularly scheduled commercial flights, who knows what with Guantanamo and the Embassy now flies our flag. I am of the opinion we will soon have free and open travel thus making no issue upon returning to U.S. and meeting with CBP.

JMO .... based upon current events.

Cuban Americans overwhelmingly oppose normalizing relations with Cuba.

According to the most recent poll out of Florida:

Do you favor or oppose continuing the U.S. embargo of Cuba?

Favor 56% continuing the U.S. embargo and 44% oppose it.

STRANGE CONSIDERING THE FOLLOWING RESPONSES

Do you think that the embargo has worked…?

Yes 7% No 53%

Would you allow companies to sell medicine to Cuba?

48% yes 16% no (not a very friendly 16% in my opinion These are drugs not weapons).

Allowing U.S. companies to sell food to Cuba?

42% YES 24% NO (another unfriendly 24% if you ask me)

-----------------------------------------------------

WHAT DO RELATIVES THINK?

THE MOST TELLING IN MY OPINION IS THE FOLLOWING:

If you have any close relatives in Cuba do you know how THEY feel about the current changes make things better?

81% of those between 18 and 44 think the changes will help improve their lives.

Politicians are not representatives after all, they are simply POLITICIANS.

OMO

bosco

Yes, Copper, I understand that is the law right now and I wouldn't dream of violating that law.

However, what I am saying is I think that is going to change rather rapidly. Congress makes laws except when laws are made by Executive Order. So far, we have had many categories of exceptions to permitted travel added, regularly scheduled commercial flights, who knows what with Guantanamo and the Embassy now flies our flag. I am of the opinion we will soon have free and open travel thus making no issue upon returning to U.S. and meeting with CBP.

JMO .... based upon current events.

I guess you're more optimistic than I am and I'm not a pessimist. Hope it will happen! All I know is, I have a wife who was born and raised there (left at an early age). She can travel there tomorrow because she has family on the island. I can not unless I drive to TJ, Mexico and do it illegally which I won't. Time will tell

If your 'child bride' still has family in Cuba she wishes to visit, it is my Holiday wish for you that she and you get to visit in their homes with them in the very near future. It is awful for a family to be separated in this way.

Happy Holidays. :)

Edited by sail7seas

According to the most recent poll out of Florida:

Do you favor or oppose continuing the U.S. embargo of Cuba?

Favor 56% continuing the U.S. embargo and 44% oppose it.

bosco

I am not familiar with that poll. But, what I do know is, that both of the Cuban-Americans that are running for President (I will not mention their names) have publicly stated that they are opposed to normalizing relations with Cuba.

Of course, there are many others, who are not Cuban-Americans, who also are opposed.

I think we should have normalized relations decades ago.

Why would you not mention their names?

Anyone who pays any attention to current events, news, GOP debates know the Senators Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz are the ones you reference. :confused: What's the secret?

I am not familiar with that poll. But, what I do know is, that both of the Cuban-Americans that are running for President (I will not mention their names) have publicly stated that they are opposed to normalizing relations with Cuba.

Of course, there are many others, who are not Cuban-Americans, who also are opposed.

I think we should have normalized relations decades ago.

Politicians are not representatives after all, they are simply POLITICIANS.

I can be on a plane to visit cemeteries in Normandy, Berlin, Pearl Harbor or Sicily in an hour or two, but a guy can't visit his inlaws in Cuba? Really folks, let's get down and think about it. Could it be some deep rooted political anger going back 50 years to the end of a corrupt but generous mafia run country???

Anything further would get into politics but as I stated "Politicians are not representatives after all, they are simply POLITICIANS."

FDR is setting up Oceania to head to Cuba ASAP

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6477

Carnival's offering http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6393

MSC Opera based in Havana starting this month (for the winter I think)

Tue 29/12/15 Havana / Cuba

Wed 30/12/15 Havana / Cuba

Thu 31/12/15 Havana / Cuba 18:00

Fri 01/01/16 At Sea

Sat 02/01/16 Montego Bay / Jamaica 09:00 20:00

Sun 03/01/16 George Town (Grand Cayman) / Cayman Islands 09:00 15:00

Mon 04/01/16 Cozumel / Mexico 10:00 18:00

Tue 05/01/16 Havana / Cuba 15:00

Edited by Christine Frances

FDR is setting up Oceania to head to Cuba ASAP

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6477

Carnival's offering http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6393

MSC Opera based in Havana starting this month (for the winter I think)

Tue 29/12/15 Havana / Cuba

Wed 30/12/15 Havana / Cuba

Thu 31/12/15 Havana / Cuba 18:00

Fri 01/01/16 At Sea

Sat 02/01/16 Montego Bay / Jamaica 09:00 20:00

Sun 03/01/16 George Town (Grand Cayman) / Cayman Islands 09:00 15:00

Mon 04/01/16 Cozumel / Mexico 10:00 18:00

Tue 05/01/16 Havana / Cuba 15:00

No cruises to Cuba from the U.S. If the Fathom does in the future it will be some kind of humanitarian program similar to what it is planned doing in the D.R.

There are several cruises from various locations to and around Cuba, none can "legally" be taken by U.S. citizens.

No cruises to Cuba from the U.S. If the Fathom does in the future it will be some kind of humanitarian program similar to what it is planned doing in the D.R.

There are several cruises from various locations to and around Cuba, none can "legally" be taken by U.S. citizens.

You are correct:) I just mentioned these ones (plus there is the one I am most familiar with which helps US citizens with the "paperwork" http://yourcubacruise.com/your-cuba/us-travelers ) because there seems to be a lot of cruiselines stopping in Havana if the port is in such poor shape:confused:

Haimark Line offers a cruise to Cuba from Miami http://www.haimarkline.com/cuba-miami-to-miami/

Vantage Travel has bookings with them 2016 and 2017.

Interesting itinerary, thanks! ms Saint Laurent appears to be the same Saint Laurent of Great Lakes fame. Should be interesting to see how she handles the Carib Sea

Edited by Copper10-8

Both Fathom and Pearl are advertising cruises to Cuba. They will be " cultural exchange" cruises. This is one of those categories that allows US citizens to travel to Cuba. In the past, I've seen land trips like this, generally offered by alumni associations or other groups, like the National Trust.

Initially, there was small print saying that approval was pending. I have no desire to sail with Pearl, as I was unhappy with my river cruise with their sister company (American Cruise lines). So I looked into Fathom. VERY expensive, and very intense itinerary with no free time ashore. I don't know what happens if someone gets sick and begs off from a tour to stay on board. Technically, that could be a violation of the rules?

I think Fathom got official approval to do the Cuba cruise. There are a lot of unknowns, though. The ship carries 700 passengers. How are they going to organize tours to schools and small businesses for so many people? Bookings appear to be all guarantees. Categories are just inside, outside, balcony, suite, yet the ship they're using had lots of sub-categories when it was with P&O.

We're thinking about it. We've always wanted to sail into Havana harbor, and see Cuba before Diamonds International and Micky D's get there.

I think that all of the major lines already have people currently in Cuba making plans and doing research for ports and excursions. Not to mentions the ones back at head office organizing order sheets for the infrastructure they will need to make things run smoothly. There are already many countries that can travel there now, but once the USA is able to go and ships can travel from the established US ports there will be a flood of money and passengers headed there.

Canadian Cruisers Eh !!!

Please post a review after your cruise. Their itinerary sounds great, but I'm not sure I'd trust them not to cancel. Have they come out of chapter 11 yet?

This article doesn't say they are out of bankruptcy yet. We are scheduled for their 6th trip date (with Vantage not Haimark directly) so we'll see what happens!!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2015/11/19/haimark-line-cruise-bankruptcy/76054230/

I think that all of the major lines already have people currently in Cuba making plans and doing research for ports and excursions. Not to mentions the ones back at head office organizing order sheets for the infrastructure they will need to make things run smoothly. There are already many countries that can travel there now, but once the USA is able to go and ships can travel from the established US ports there will be a flood of money and passengers headed there.

Canadian Cruisers Eh !!!

I agree.

Same for Diamonds International, Starbuck's, Mc D's and all the rest.