Overly-strong US dollar eliminating many cruisers

OceanTraveller4ever

We already made alternate plans for our current vacation. We looked at adding a cruise to our SE Asia trip but the prices and the prices adjusted for currency made no sense. So we extended our land trip to eight weeks.

Now planning tentatively planning a Greece trip for the fall and a South Ameican in Jan/FEb. We would like to include a cruise in both. Our dollar is going up a little and Med cruise prices are dropping so we may pick up a last minute deal. Not sure about SA.

One thing for certain is that our trips to Florida, WA/Or/Cal are off the table. No U.S. cross border shopping for us either. We will simply wait until our dollar improves civ a vis the USD. We are still spending the same on travel but other travel options are becoming more competitive partly because of currency.

Our experience, too, in all respects. Even Alaska is off the table this year.

Land vacation, here we come, the first non-HAL cruise trip in 14 years!

Our experience, too, in all respects. Even Alaska is off the table this year.

Land vacation, here we come, the first non-HAL cruise trip in 14 years!

We did an in-Canada land vacation as our escape from snow this winter, and had a WONDERFUL time. I hope you enjoy your land trip as much as we did :) We will definitely be doing it again!

Edited by CowPrincess

The final straw for me against cruising overseas on ships costed in US$, at present, is the US$ daily service charge/gratuity and on board costs.

As others have mentioned, there are less expensive travel options available, at better quality and value.

We did an in-Canada land vacation as our escape from snow this winter, and had a WONDERFUL time. I hope you enjoy your land trip as much as we did :) We will definitely be doing it again!

I'm saving my Canadian land travels for when I turn 75 and can no longer afford out-of-country medical insurance.:eek: This December when I'm on the K-Dam, I will lower my budget for on-board spending, if I have to. For me that would mean no Pinnacle dinners, no Chef's dinner, and no ship excursions. The cruise will still be enjoyable. I'm not giving up cruising until I am down to my last dollar.:D

I'm saving my Canadian land travels for when I turn 75 and can no longer afford out-of-country medical insurance.:eek: This December when I'm on the K-Dam, I will lower my budget for on-board spending, if I have to. For me that would mean no Pinnacle dinners, no Chef's dinner, and no ship excursions. The cruise will still be enjoyable. I'm not giving up cruising until I am down to my last dollar.:D

I agree that there are always ways to cut costs to meet your means.

If I lived in Toronto, I'd keep cruising in winter also. When my daughter lived in Toronto she couldn't believe that her flatmate had never seen the ocean. She loves Toronto though. We are really blessed in Australia, most living close to the beach. (32c yesterday)

DH's parents are in their 90s, and have had a couple of health issues in the last year, so we wanted to be someplace easy-to-reach, easy-to-leave, in the event they needed us. It was mostly about that, with a small bit about the exchange rate.

Regardless, we had SUCH a good time in Vancouver, we will definitely vacation there again :)

Edited by CowPrincess

I agree that there are always ways to cut costs to meet your means.

If I lived in Toronto, I'd keep cruising in winter also. When my daughter lived in Toronto she couldn't believe that her flatmate had never seen the ocean. She loves Toronto though. We are really blessed in Australia, most living close to the beach. (32c yesterday)

You wouldn't want to be in Toronto today. It's -2c and it has started snowing. I am not kidding!:eek:

DH's parents are in their 90s, and have had a couple of health issues in the last year, so we wanted to be someplace easy-to-reach, easy-to-leave, in the event they needed us. It was mostly about that, with a small bit about the exchange rate.

That is another reason which needs to be taken in to account for Australians cruising overseas, as our travel insurance doesn't cover pre existing illnesses (for ourselves nor elderly loved ones).

Interesting idea about out-of-country medical. Our land trip is to Japan, so I guess we might be doing the right thing! Who knew??

I'm saving my Canadian land travels for when I turn 75 and can no longer afford out-of-country medical insurance

DH is turning 75 this year and his out of country medical insurance isn't through the roof, it is still very affordable. You might have to push back your Canadian land travels for another few years past 75.

I do agree with your last sentence "I'm not giving up cruising until I am down to my last dollar."

Smooth Sailing :) :) :)

[quote name='MMDown Under']That is another reason which needs to be taken in to account for Australians cruising overseas, as our travel insurance doesn't cover pre existing illnesses (for ourselves nor elderly loved ones).[/QUOTE]

However you can get cover for pre existing conditions for yourself if you apply. But, yes our mothers are 90 and 93 and we have to arrange with our brothers that we are not overseas at the same time.