Overly-strong US dollar eliminating many cruisers

OceanTraveller4ever

The reality is the exchange rates suck.

The reality is HAL doesn't set or control the exchange rate.

The reality is that people will have fewer vacations.

The reality is that no one on CC controls the exchange rate so none of us can fix it.

Be grateful that you can vacation when the opportunity arises. If you can't take a trip, be hopeful that the time will come again that you can. I think we've all suffered financial hardships were we can't travel.

Time and time again people are told to buy their cruise based on the value for their money. Right now if you didn't look at it as being 40% more Canadian dollars than American dollars and strictly looked at it on an out of pocket cost basis, would it be a value to you? If you answer no then I'd give the same advice that's been given on CC time and time again and that would be to wait until you feel that you are getting what you're paying for. It's the same as people getting angry that I may have paid $800 bucks for my cruise because I waited until after final payment and someone else may have paid $2000 because they booked early. They felt it was a value to them at $2000 and it wasn't a value to me until it hit $800. I know many won't agree with the analogy I'm giving but value is value. As a cruiser we decide what we are willing to pay and what we are not.

If I were in the position of having to pay 40% more for a vacation this year than I would have paid last year I would have to decide if the value was still there for me and I think I would choose to stay home until the price was more in line with what I would consider acceptable.

An interesting fact in this situation has not been addressed - namely, how important are Canadian cruisers to HAL's bottom line.

Cruise Critic boards do not necessarily provide a factually accurate review of a situation but they give a pretty darn good overall feel. Many Canadians are simply not going to take a cruise at current prices or will take fewer cruises or take lesser accommodations.

My extremely successful "bricks and mortar" cruise only travel agent (I deal with the owner) told me last week that for the first time in his agency's history, future bookings for all lines are down. It's not just the exchange rate but the fact that cruise prices are up overall from last year.

We Canadians probably make up about 10% of HAL's business. If that drops by 30% or more, it doesn't seem like a lot on a large company's balance sheet. But in an era of cost cutting by all the cruise lines, they will definitely notice a revenue drop even if it's only in the low millions.

So how will HAL respond? Options include raising the fares even more to make up the revenue shortfall but that's probably unlikely. Doing nothing is also probably not ideal as you want to fill those cabins. Offering targeted discounts to Canadians for slower filling sailings - probably very likely. That's what Oceania is doing.

Fares for Canadians are at an all time high - my prediction? They will go higher, stay the same or drop! The situation has to cook for a little while longer until we see how HAL adapts.

Unfortunately, I too as a Canadian, won't be booking any Holland America cruises anytime soon. Looking for alternatives.

So sad to read so many Americans "diss" the exchange rate, and dismiss our concerns as "It will pass", "A buck is a buck" etc. I'd expect that none of you ever had to evaluate and decide against doing something that you love based upon a currency.

I only have so much C$ to spend. 40% hurts, and it hurts, it hurts bad. :(

We had some USD in the bank there is still enough there for our next payment at least 90% of final payment . Don't think we be booking another unless our dollar recovers . If i had a crystal ball i would have bought a lot more. We always book in USD glad we had the money set a side if we didn't i would have been contemplating canceling !

So how will HAL respond? Options include raising the fares even more to make up the revenue shortfall but that's probably unlikely. Doing nothing is also probably not ideal as you want to fill those cabins. Offering targeted discounts to Canadians for slower filling sailings - probably very likely. That's what Oceania is doing.

Fares for Canadians are at an all time high - my prediction? They will go higher, stay the same or drop! The situation has to cook for a little while longer until we see how HAL adapts.

Are you actually saying that HAL or any other line should sell a cabin for less to a Canadian based on the fact that their dollar is worth less than ours? If they were to do that I think the backlash from Americans would be huge. I HAL wants to lower fares for everyone that would be great, but to single out Canadians based on their weak dollar would be ridiculous and totally unfair to the American customers. If you haven't noticed, ships are sailing pretty full these days and with or without the Canadians who are hurting due to their poor government decisions, will continue to sail full. BTW, there ARE still many Canadians who continue to cruise without all of the woes.

Are you actually saying that HAL or any other line should sell a cabin for less to a Canadian based on the fact that their dollar is worth less than ours? If they were to do that I think the backlash from Americans would be huge. I HAL wants to lower fares for everyone that would be great, but to single out Canadians based on their weak dollar would be ridiculous and totally unfair to the American customers. If you haven't noticed, ships are sailing pretty full these days and with or without the Canadians who are hurting due to their poor government decisions, will continue to sail full. BTW, there ARE still many Canadians who continue to cruise without all of the woes.

I guess some cruise lines are suffering with Canadians not booking since Oceania has been offering Canadian resident specials. It expires December 31st and has been going on for a while. And yes, the pricing is lower.

It's been happening for years and will continue to happen. HAL is free to sell their product at whatever value they want in the currency of their choice. As has been stated over and over again on this thread, there's no tieing of our two currencies, if it's $2,000 US for a cruise why can't it also be $2,000 Cdn. for a cruise?

Are you actually saying that HAL or any other line should sell a cabin for less to a Canadian based on the fact that their dollar is worth less than ours?
HAL often runs regional promotions. Once my DB/DSiL paid much less for the same class of cabin as ours because they live in another state. Canada would just be a large region to get a promo.

Edited by jtl513

It's been happening for years and will continue to happen. HAL is free to sell their product at whatever value they want in the currency of their choice. As has been stated over and over again on this thread, there's no tieing of our two currencies, if it's $2,000 US for a cruise why can't it also be $2,000 Cdn. for a cruise?

If we get to pick what currency we want to pay in why not choose pesos? 2,000 pesos would be a very good value for me.

HAL often runs regional promotions. Once my DB/DSiL paid much less for the same class of cabin as ours because they live in another state. Canada would just be a large region to get a promo.

I live close to Seattle and receive promotional emails for Alaska cruise. They are deep discounts. This last year, an inside was $399 pp. I didn't book anything but they do send out nice promotions to those who live close to the port.

That being said, I've only received this type of email twice. It doesn't happen often.

Edited by Cruiser Andi

I guess some cruise lines are suffering with Canadians not booking since Oceania has been offering Canadian resident specials. It expires December 31st and has been going on for a while. And yes, the pricing is lower.

They're offering those same rates in te US (calling them something different). I'd guess they're suffering from a dearth of passengers overall.

It will be interesting when Canadians stop going to the USA for any type of vacation and tourism takes a huge hit. Then it will be the biggest tragedy ever :rolleyes:.

If cruise ships sail half empty there will be offers.

Edited by cruz chic

It will be interesting when Canadians stop going to the USA for any type of vacation and tourism takes a huge hit. Then it will be the biggest tragedy ever :rolleyes:.

I would definitely see them sending offers to those who live close to certain ports and can take advantage of "last minute" type of travel.

I think the US is going to take a bigger hit from Canadians not shopping in the US than the travel portion. I could be wrong, of course, it's only my opinion. I know there were lots of Canadians crossing over from Vancouver to do their shopping in the US because they could make their dollar stretch further. I think a lot of the retail establishments at the Northerns borders could take a huge hit.

LOL back at ya. :rolleyes:

I would definitely see them sending offers to those who live close to certain ports and can take advantage of "last minute" type of travel.

I think the US is going to take a bigger hit from Canadians not shopping in the US than the travel portion. I could be wrong, of course, it's only my opinion. I know there were lots of Canadians crossing over from Vancouver to do their shopping in the US because they could make their dollar stretch further. I think a lot of the retail establishments at the Northerns borders could take a huge hit.

Yes, right now the retail sector is hurting. If people aren't taking cruises because of the exchange rate why would we take a land vacation? Canada has many beautiful places and world wide there are many destinations where our dollar will go further and will likely be more appreciated.

The reality is the exchange rates suck.

The reality is HAL doesn't set or control the exchange rate.

The reality is that people will have fewer vacations.

The reality is that no one on CC controls the exchange rate so none of us can fix it.

Be grateful that you can vacation when the opportunity arises. If you can't take a trip, be hopeful that the time will come again that you can. I think we've all suffered financial hardships were we can't travel.

Time and time again people are told to buy their cruise based on the value for their money. Right now if you didn't look at it as being 40% more Canadian dollars than American dollars and strictly looked at it on an out of pocket cost basis, would it be a value to you? If you answer no then I'd give the same advice that's been given on CC time and time again and that would be to wait until you feel that you are getting what you're paying for. It's the same as people getting angry that I may have paid $800 bucks for my cruise because I waited until after final payment and someone else may have paid $2000 because they booked early. They felt it was a value to them at $2000 and it wasn't a value to me until it hit $800. I know many won't agree with the analogy I'm giving but value is value. As a cruiser we decide what we are willing to pay and what we are not.

If I were in the position of having to pay 40% more for a vacation this year than I would have paid last year I would have to decide if the value was still there for me and I think I would choose to stay home until the price was more in line with what I would consider acceptable.

This is what we are doing.

ANY cruise line using USD has now a lot less value for Canadians because of the exchange rate.

The question for us is : does HAL provide value at their pricing (including the exchange rate)? We sincerely hope they do, but...

Next questions is: do other lines provide more or less value for their pricing?

Last question if "no" to both the above questions -- where do should we park our travel dollar?

This is hard for someone who loves cruises, loves HAL!

This is what we are doing.

ANY cruise line using USD has now a lot less value for Canadians because of the exchange rate.

The question for us is : does HAL provide value at their pricing (including the exchange rate)? We sincerely hope they do, but...

Next questions is: do other lines provide more or less value for their pricing?

Last question if "no" to both the above questions -- where do should we park our travel dollar?

This is hard for someone who loves cruises, loves HAL!

For us, "value" is not the only factor. "Affordability" is part of the equation. We are spending a week in Vancouver this winter (mainly because we have family stuff and want to be close to known airports/known airlines)

Even allowing $300/day for food, we are still below the current cost of a 7 day cruise. So, trust me, as much as we love cruising, we will be considering land vacations again.

(and yes, sign me up for the Eggnogger Cruise please :D )

I have no doubt the merchants in places like Bellingham, WA are hurting. This should be their busiest time of year. I suspect that traffic and sales are down substantially.

We went down six weeks or so ago. Less than a five minute wait at Peace Arch going down and the same at Pacific Truck Crossing on the way back. We cannot remember crossing so quickly. Bellis Fair parking lot was less than half full. Very quiet inside.

We certainly did not buy much. Filled the gas tank, bought some cheese, looked around and called it a day. We did not bother dining out...crossed back over and at ate in White Rock. Because of the exchange.

Edited by iancal

We who live in Maine feel a huge impact on our tourism income when the Canadian dollar is soft. We see it in hotels, restaurants and retail markets. It does effect our economy significantly.

The southern states are sure to feel the pinch this winter. Many people we know are not going to Florida this winter and those of us that are choosing to go are cutting back on whatever discretionary spending we can-shopping, restaurants, theatre, etc. It will be interesting reading in the local papers when the tourist spending is down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK, so the Canadian dollar stinks and tourism from Canada will be affected. Given that, who or what is to blame and how do you fix it? Do Canadians think that prices in the US should be lowered to accommodate the weak Canadian dollar? Should the Canadian government somehow subsidise the economy to make up for the exchange rate? Perhaps if you really want to go on a cruise, go in an inside cabin rather than a suite for the time being. I don't know how to solve the problem but I'm getting tired of hearing how Canadians are going to wreck the American economy by not shopping here or taking a cruise.

OK, so the Canadian dollar stinks and tourism from Canada will be affected. Given that, who or what is to blame and how do you fix it? Do Canadians think that prices in the US should be lowered to accommodate the weak Canadian dollar? Should the Canadian government somehow subsidise the economy to make up for the exchange rate? Perhaps if you really want to go on a cruise, go in an inside cabin rather than a suite for the time being. I don't know how to solve the problem but I'm getting tired of hearing how Canadians are going to wreck the American economy by not shopping here or taking a cruise.

Then may I suggest you avoid threads that are specifically about the low Canadian dollar and how it affects cruising. :rolleyes:

Oh my. What would be really nice is if you wouldn't say anything rather than stick the knife in and keep turning it. I was on a cruise in October. Alberta has been hit hard by layoffs due to the oil price. I'm one of these people. This Canadian said to me "who cares about Alberta" ? I was floored. I'm amazed when people have so little regard for others until it hurts them. I don't know how people can be so cold. No one is asking for any sympathy here that I can see but it would be nice if folks didn't stick the knife in and then come by and pour salt on the wound. Furthermore not everyone sails in a Neptune suite :rolleyes:.