Overly-strong US dollar eliminating many cruisers

OceanTraveller4ever

I remember when we went to Europe years ago, our dollar was very weak. I would look at the Euro price and mentally compute about 1 1/2 times that to figure my cost. It was about where the USD vs the CAD is now. It didn't keep us from doing anything or buying what we wanted while we were there but I totally understand how our Canadian friends feel. I did have to consider it when doing our budget. I'm sorry that it may keep some of you from cruising. I have to admit, though, it sure was nice when booking the Pan Pacific for next Sept to be able to get a great upgraded room at such a terrific price!

I think it's the size of the bills. Five US one dollar bills make up a total of about 80 square inches, but a Bermuda five is 9380 square millimeters. They obviously use the metric system to make Americans pay more.
Well, at least you didn't lose 40% of every square inch! :D Edited by jtl513

I remember when we went to Europe years ago, our dollar was very weak. I would look at the Euro price and mentally compute about 1 1/2 times that to figure my cost. It was about where the USD vs the CAD is now. It didn't keep us from doing anything or buying what we wanted while we were there but I totally understand how our Canadian friends feel. I did have to consider it when doing our budget. I'm sorry that it may keep some of you from cruising. I have to admit, though, it sure was nice when booking the Pan Pacific for next Sept to be able to get a great upgraded room at such a terrific price!

Yes, this is great for Americans coming to Canada to spend their USD. Great to have a dollar worth 40% more in Canada than at home in the US. (The Pan Pacific is a very nice hotel. Hope you get a "mountain view".)

Canadians will feel EXACTLY the same way when the CND is worth 40% more than the USD. We'll be down there with bells on, let me tell you! I can't wait.

seriously???? When you buy U.S., you are subject to the exchange rate - pure and simple. What causes it may be a stronger currency or a weaker one, but it is the exchange rate where you pay the price.

All this nit picking rather than discuss the issue which was the purpose of this thread. <sigh>

Getting the facts straight is not nit-picking. But I'm still not sure why we need so much verbiage to acknowledge that Canadians, due to the downgrading of the Canadian Dollar, are having to spend more tis year to leave the country than they did a few years ago. And that's true no matter where rthey're going - US, Europe, Brazil, New Zealand, wherever.

I'd like to suggest that to determine the value of each currency against the price of the cruise, one should calculate how many hours you have to work to pay for a specific cruise. That takes into account the price of the cruise, the built in exchange rate that the cruiseline uses and the income that people in each country make. If $1000US is the same value as $1400CAD, then the Canadian income should also be 40% higher. Which I don't think it is.

Well, no, because the exchange rate is based on the perceived value of the currency - what someone is willing to pay for it (just like a share of stock). It bears little relationship to the money paid to workers.

Canadians will feel EXACTLY the same way when the CND is worth 40% more than the USD. We'll be down there with bells on, let me tell you! I can't wait.

While we "may" be happy about it being Canadians we would not be rubbing it in. We have better manners than that.

While we "may" be happy about it being Canadians we would not be rubbing it in. We have better manners than that.

Darn right.:D And we didn't slag off our southern neighbours when our dollar was worth a bit more than theirs and they were complaining about the cost of sightseeing in Vancouver.

I cancelled my 13 day Koningsdam Christening cruise this week. It was about $5000 US for my category as a single person paying double. I did not think it was worth $2000 Cdn more with the ex rate, plus credit card fees. Had not yet included excursions, service charges, pay extra dining, hotel etc...

The Cdn $ is expected to continue to fall in 2016. Have a b2b Med 10 days/TA 13 days on new Carnival Vista in Oct 2016. Those ones are worth keeping to me no matter what the ex. rate.

Cauliflower imported from US this week was $8.99. I will eat Ontario carrots.

That's how I see this issue.

Edited by lettienets

[

About 15 years ago the CDN$ and A$ were very close to the US$. At one point the CDN$ was exchangable for 96 cents US.

HTE]

As recently as early 2013 both currencies were above parity. And that is the problem; the move around is very rapid and within the time frame where it can effect forward travel plans.

On the positive side for us, we have just received an end of year update from Hamilton Island, close to the Great Barrier Reef, where we own an investment property. The level of business success there is currently the highest ever, they have had seven months of record occupancy rates largely driven by the low dollar and the perception of a safe environment.

Perhaps a good time for our Canadian friends to plan a trip out this way.

Well whatever the reason, HAL has sent us two "private sale" emails in the last 12 hours. Even if I was medically cleared to travel, which I am not, I would not bite because of the true cost to me when the bills roll in which are in my currency. Not complaining about it, but anyone in business on either side of the border should not have their head buried as deep in the sand about the realities of exchange rates and the impact to their customers/clients. Seems HAL is feeling it as we have never received 2 emails in 12 hours from HAL in the last 5 years.

Many people would love to stay in a suite but due to the high price can not afford it. Many would love a balcony or even an ocean view cabin but it is beyond their ability to pay that much. They settle for an inside cabin and a pizza cut into six slices from room service because that's what their bankroll will allow. Some cannot even afford to buy that inside cabin because the price is still too high due to their weak currency and opt out of cruising or traveling to Florida and just stay home. Many of those people might just find that there is much to see in their own country that shares their own currency.

Good idea!

I just took a look and the rate is 1.4179 for purchasing USD today. Hmm....

But, it isn't snowing here, so how good is that!?

Anyways, one cruise we are looking at, a TA in the spring, is selling at about a 30% exchange rate.

Hooray for no snow. Wish we could say the same ;)

30%? That's not bad, given what's going on .... got some FCDs you could use to lock in the price?

Yes that nearly 1.42 is giving me pause, so we are glad we bought "cheap" US $$$s when we did.

I am, for anything I may think about in the next while, not even considering balcony cabins. (We generally book a long, loooong time out.)

I'm looking at a solo Alaska cruise for May, and holding off in the hope that there's some sort of special offer to Canadians. We did well last year for our 14-day Alaska cruise price, the HAL exchange rate didn't reflect the real-world exchange rate :)

I hope you find a great deal! At least with you being 5* you get a few good onboard benefits, and that will help with affordability :)

But, it isn't snowing here, so how good is that!?

As a volunteer snowboard patroller, TERRIBLE! :D

I do know that a lot of my snowboarding friends in the states are planning trips to Canada this year, when they get such a good exchange rate it makes the trip almost cheap.

Ah well, currencies fluctuate, plans change, these things happen in the natural order of a free market.

Hooray for no snow. Wish we could say the same ;)

30%? That's not bad, given what's going on .... got some FCDs you could use to lock in the price?

Yes that nearly 1.42 is giving me pause, so we are glad we bought "cheap" US $$$s when we did.

I am, for anything I may think about in the next while, not even considering balcony cabins. (We generally book a long, loooong time out.)

I'm looking at a solo Alaska cruise for May, and holding off in the hope that there's some sort of special offer to Canadians. We did well last year for our 14-day Alaska cruise price, the HAL exchange rate didn't reflect the real-world exchange rate :)

I hope you find a great deal! At least with you being 5* you get a few good onboard benefits, and that will help with affordability :)

I was actually surprised by the 30%. Still adds up to a lot, though.

Our experience mirrors yours for the 14 day Alaska last year. Not nearly as reasonable a fare as we've had, but good considering the exchange rate at that time.

I hope, too, that HAL comes up with some specials for Canadians. No need for them to lose money on us: they seem to be able to book Alaska very well lately and with Europe in the state it is, I expect home- and close-to-home ports to do well next year.

Yes we have a pile of FCD/FCCs that we would love to use up next year. It will depend on the bottom line price solely.

Several times I've added up, to the complete boredom of most on this board, how much we save with those 5 star rewards. As you note, it does make quite a difference and all goes into the bottom line.

Snow on the mountains here, lots; forecast for "mixed precipitation" on Thursday and Saturday. I doubt it. Have a lovely white Christmas!!

I was actually surprised by the 30%. Still adds up to a lot, though.

Our experience mirrors yours for the 14 day Alaska last year. Not nearly as reasonable a fare as we've had, but good considering the exchange rate at that time.

I hope, too, that HAL comes up with some specials for Canadians. No need for them to lose money on us: they seem to be able to book Alaska very well lately and with Europe in the state it is, I expect home- and close-to-home ports to do well next year.

Yes we have a pile of FCD/FCCs that we would love to use up next year. It will depend on the bottom line price solely.

Several times I've added up, to the complete boredom of most on this board, how much we save with those 5 star rewards. As you note, it does make quite a difference and all goes into the bottom line.

Snow on the mountains here, lots; forecast for "mixed precipitation" on Thursday and Saturday. I doubt it. Have a lovely white Christmas!!

I hear you on the bottom line prices.

You will never bore me with what you save on a cruise by being 5*.

Stupid question, but 4* have pretty much the same savings, don't they? Other than a free culinary class, PG dinner and the discount on the 100 minute internet (which I haven't figured out how it would work with unlimited) the remaining benefits (other than logo wear) mirror the 4* benefits?

Or am I missing the boat? (apologies for the thread drift).

I hear you on the bottom line prices.

You will never bore me with what you save on a cruise by being 5*.

Stupid question, but 4* have pretty much the same savings, don't they? Other than a free culinary class, PG dinner and the discount on the 100 minute internet (which I haven't figured out how it would work with unlimited) the remaining benefits (other than logo wear) mirror the 4* benefits?

Or am I missing the boat? (apologies for the thread drift).

Pretty much the same, with:

2 complimentary Pinnacle Dinners (per person)

complimentary Cooking Class

complimentary Spa Day Pass

specific internet package 50% off

For a couple that adds up to about $140.00 or $70.00 pp. Adds value to your cruise!

If you use the 4 star rewards: the complimentary laundry (anyone out there who does NOT???), the 50% off specialty dining, 50% off bev. packages and the Explorations Cafe, Wine Tasting etc, overall it adds up.

For a couple that adds up to about $140.00 or $70.00 pp. Adds value to your cruise!

If you use the 4 star rewards: the complimentary laundry (anyone out there who does NOT???), the 50% off specialty dining, 50% off bev. packages and the Explorations Cafe, Wine Tasting etc, overall it adds up.

yes, it does all add up indeed. ;)

When our dollar was strong, Med cruises were begging for customers, and the Euro was low we did lots of travel in the area-cruises and independent land trips.

This past summer/fall we ruled out a Baltic and Med cruises in partly because of increased pricing and partly because of our weak dollar. We ruled out the UK because of the strength of the GBP. So we ended up in the Greek Isles. The euro exchange rate was reasonable for us so that is where we went for a fabulous six weeks.

This winter...no Florida, AZ, or Caribbean cruises for us. Exchange is awful. We simply look for different alternatives. So it is going to be the beaches in Thailand and Vietnam. We spend just a little more on air and a lot less on travel-in part due to exchange and in part due to location. Cuba, DR, and Mexico were also on offer.

My guess is some Americans will be making similar choices. Only they may be deciding on a ski holiday in Whistler or Banff rather than Colorado or Utah. Or they may be deciding to spend an extra week in Vancouver, Quebec City/Montreal/ or the Rockies. Good for them. I hope they have a wonderful time and snap up some great bargains (for them). It will be of great benefit to us if they do. Far from resenting it, I am happy for them. We did the same in other countries from time to time.

No use crying about the exchange rate situation. There are three choices. Buck up and pay. Stay home and sulk/keep your powder dry until the FX rate improves in 18 months or so. Or find an affordable alternate vacation option that is a little easier on the pocketbook-either land based or booking a cruise in another country at a lower FX adjusted cost. We feel fortunate to have all of these three options.

Edited by iancal

When our dollar was strong, Med cruises were begging for customers, and the Euro was low we did lots of travel in the area-cruises and independent land trips.

This past summer/fall we ruled out a Baltic and Med cruises in partly because of increased pricing and partly because of our weak dollar. We ruled out the UK because of the strength of the GBP. So we ended up in the Greek Isles. The euro exchange rate was reasonable for us so that is where we went for a fabulous six weeks.

This winter...no Florida, AZ, or Caribbean cruises for us. Exchange is awful. We simply look for different alternatives. So it is going to be the beaches in Thailand and Vietnam. We spend just a little more on air and a lot less on travel-in part due to exchange and in part due to location. Cuba, DR, and Mexico were also on offer.

My guess is some Americans will be making similar choices. Only they may be deciding on a ski holiday in Whistler or Banff rather than Colorado or Utah. Or they may be deciding to spend an extra week in Vancouver, Quebec City/Montreal/ or the Rockies. Good for them. I hope they have a wonderful time and snap up some great bargains (for them). It will be of great benefit to us if they do. Far from resenting it, I am happy for them. We did the same in other countries from time to time.

No use crying about the exchange rate situation. There are three choices. Buck up and pay. Stay home and sulk/keep your powder dry until the FX rate improves in 18 months or so. Or find an affordable alternate vacation option that is a little easier on the pocketbook-either land based or booking a cruise in another country at a lower FX adjusted cost. We feel fortunate to have all of these three options.

Excellent and most intelligent post on this subject. I love Thailand and Vietnam and I'm sure that you will have a great time.

Yes, it's definitely affected us. April's med cruise was paid for long ago and we took advantage of the 10% obc offer. Next fall we had originally booked Solstice down under but have changed that to a Australian land trip. Cruise price wasn't bad at the time but the crazy mark up on shore excursions and then 40% exchange just made it stupidly expensive. We then wanted to book a Spain Portugal cruise for 2017. Current prices in Canadian are not appealing. We've locked in a TA at a good price but it's not really what we want to do. That will

likely get cancelled at some point in favor of a Spain Land trip. When you have to start adding 40% to everything it's just not worth it.

we'll also spend more money in Canada with some additional trips to the wine country.

So, I got the numbers wrong!

This is what happens when you start drinking egg nog at 11 am. Hic. We are receiving so much booze for Christmas (I am NOT complaining) that it is like having the Signature Bev Cards around here. I wish I could host a CC party online!

Anyways, the 5 star rewards add up to, per person, about $140.00.

Then add in all the worth of the 4 star rewards.

So, I got the numbers wrong!

This is what happens when you start drinking egg nog at 11 am. Hic. We are receiving so much booze for Christmas (I am NOT complaining) that it is like having the Signature Bev Cards around here. I wish I could host a CC party online!

Anyways, the 5 star rewards add up to, per person, about $140.00.

Then add in all the worth of the 4 star rewards.

Dude, what's your address;)? I'd be happy to take one for the team :D but I don't like eggnog.

Dude, what's your address;)? I'd be happy to take one for the team :D but I don't like eggnog.

That's OK: I'll drink the egg nog, with some rum, you know, way too many calories!

We'll have to sail together one day! Find us a cheap CND cruise! Maybe your N. Amsterdam one?

Edited by SilvertoGold