Overly-strong US dollar eliminating many cruisers

OceanTraveller4ever

However if the situation were reversed the Canadians would be having a field day - only saying this to keep it in perspective. When currencies were near par tons of folks were coming down from BC into the northern cities in WA state to get everything from milk and other dairy/produce goods at the Costco in Bellingham to stopping and shopping at all of the outlet malls within 100 miles of the border. It was actually difficult at some of these to see WA state license plates on cars. They were all Canadian.

One bright side of the current situation. Living near Seattle allows me the opportunity to fly out of Vancouver BC if the price is right. I'll be headed to Europe this spring to see Koningsdam and travel through Italy and The Netherlands and as airfare Vancouver roundtrip is priced in Canadian Dollars but I, a US citizen must pay in US dollars I am finding prices ROUNDTRIP at just barely over $700 per person!

This is obviously an anomaly and not the norm, but you better believe we are FULLY taking advantage of it

Edited by InTheWASide

This thread is not about whining. It is about the impact that a low Canadian dollar will/may have on people's decision to cruise.

A reasonable question and the fact that some have explained the impact and how the cost affects things is not whining IMO.

Thank you for writing this.

From a Canadian who might have to cancel her cruise plans for the months to come... Think before labelling us as "whiners".

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

Our last cruise was in Feb/March. It was an Australian/NZ cruise that we booked by calling RCI Australia. Paid in AUD, which is essentially the same as CAD. The US/CAD price, adjusted for currency, was slightly over 30 percent more...with no OBC.

Odd thing was the currency on this ship was USD. SO our large OBC was given to us in USD. We did not spend much. A $12. cocktail cost $15-16 CAD so we avoided them.

My sister did the same with her Baltic cruise this past summer. She booked in the UK and saved just over 15 percent.

There may be a few ways to get around this dilemma or reduce the impact depending on where you are planning to cruise and what cruise line you are booking.

If one could think of something that would entice Americans to come and spend their powerful dollars in Canada, then one could easily afford a cruise upgrade.

Many Americans think Justin Bieber was elected President of Canada. Take advantage of that and you'll have Americans coming in droves.

Oh, make it easier to cross into Canada, being turned away because one has not kept up with his lawn is not cool!

Thank you for writing this.

From a Canadian who might have to cancel her cruise plans for the months to come... Think before labelling us as "whiners".

Maple syrup is much more affordable to Americans. So is a weekend getaway in Montreal.

Canada is America's largest trading partner. America is at a distinct disadvantage, now. Think how many motel owners in south New Jersey or Florida will now have empty rooms because Canadians feel they can't afford that vacation.

Not to mention the hit on American vending machine operators when they get boxes of Canadian quarters.

The reason I do not have much time for people whining about cruise prices?

I live in a city where we have had lots of layoffs. Food prices have increased because of the higher cost of imports. Food bank traffic has increased substantially. Many people are too busy worry about rent and food to be concerned with cruise vacations.

My apologies for misremembering some facts from long ago... But my point is that there may be better cruise deals for Canadians now by buying on the European market instead of on the US Market.

We all have to choose where to spend our vacation funds where we get the best value. I feel for our northern neighbors, and we in the US have had to squeeze our budgets to travel to Europe too, and other places.

One of the things I love about travel is interacting with people from other countries, our neighbor countries included. m--

A lot of lobsters and other choice seafood comes from Canada to the US. This currency thing should lower the price for these items. Maybe HAL will purchase some better quality seafood, than they have of late:rolleyes:

Just looking for a silver lining.

The reason I do not have much time for people whining about cruise prices?

I live in a city where we have had lots of layoffs. Food prices have increased because of the higher cost of imports. Food bank traffic has increased substantially. Many people are too busy worry about rent and food to be concerned with cruise vacations.

I'm one of those many people that was laid off. Luckily I lived within my means and saved a fair bit. It doesn't take the sting out of the exchange rate. If you don't want to read about the "whining" there is a simple cure for that. Grocery prices are more likely about the greed of grocers. Prices are a lot lower in Edmonton than Calgary.

A lot of lobsters and other choice seafood comes from Canada to the US. This currency thing should lower the price for these items. Maybe HAL will purchase some better quality seafood, than they have of late:rolleyes:

Just looking for a silver lining.

I live in Boston and we do not get Canadian lobsters. :D

Ever had a cold water Maine lobster? Delicious.

My local lobster pound gets their fresh supply from local lobstermen. We

support our local fishermen whenever possible. :)

That is NOT to say we haven't enjoyed many a wonderful lobster from Canadian waters when we are in Halifax, in particular. :)

I live in Boston and we do not get Canadian lobsters. :D

Ever had a cold water Maine lobster? Delicious.

My local lobster pound gets their fresh supply from local lobstermen. We

support our local fishermen whenever possible. :)

That is NOT to say we haven't enjoyed many a wonderful lobster from Canadian waters when we are in Halifax, in particular. :)

http://www.bostonlobstercompany.com

[/b]So, when was the last time it was 40% in favour of Canadians?Or are you just trying to downplay the effect the exchange rate is having, because it is only important to Canadians?

I certainly hope this is rhetorical since there are many markets, commodity prices, etc that are centralized around the US dollar and none (to my knowledge, apologies if incorrect) that are based around the Canadian dollar...

I get the issue. Trust me, my agency has a lot of Canadian clients and many of them are VERY hesitant to travel right now but currency exchanges ebb and flow over time as you know you were near/on par not all that long ago.

And while I'm not sure how it works exactly, what logistics are needed and if/when it would make good financial sense but I know of a lot of Canadians that also have an account in USD. I believe most were set up when the exchanges were on par. Likely because they knew it wouldn't always be the case but if the Canadian dollar dropped they would have a lot in a currency that is "stronger" (note the quotes and let's not have anyone nitpick terminology please) and take less of a hit in a down swing

For the sake of accuracy, you cite one business out of hundreds or perhaps thousands and even that one says American and Canadian lobsters.

Picking nits seems to be contagious. :)

By "we" my reference was to me and mine. You seem to have interpreted it to mean we as in all Bostonians.

Happy Holidays. May your lobsters be sweet and tender.

Edited by sail7seas

I certainly hope this is rhetorical since there are many markets, commodity prices, etc that are centralized around the US dollar and none (to my knowledge, apologies if incorrect) that are based around the Canadian dollar...

I get the issue. Trust me, my agency has a lot of Canadian clients and many of them are VERY hesitant to travel right now but currency exchanges ebb and flow over time as you know you were near/on par not all that long ago.

And while I'm not sure how it works exactly, what logistics are needed and if/when it would make good financial sense but I know of a lot of Canadians that also have an account in USD. I believe most were set up when the exchanges were on par. Likely because they knew it wouldn't always be the case but if the Canadian dollar dropped they would have a lot in a currency that is "stronger" (note the quotes and let's not have anyone nitpick terminology please) and take less of a hit in a down swing

I've had a usd bank account for 3 or 4 years. Before I got laid off I would put money in there from time to time but it would never stay at a high balance. Unless you are very wealthy I don't know how anyone can justify leaving thousands and thousands in there. It's been a while since the exchange rate has been on par. It has to have been at least 4 or 5 years but I'm sure someone will prove me wrong :D.

We're booked on koningsdam december 2016 but now with the high dollar vs euro, i'm already saving money and budgeting to get ends meet.

During the cruise:

Tipping, drinks, excursions, specialtydining, port shopping

Before after the cruise:

Value hotels (location/price), transport (uber/shuttle/walking), self catering

Contigency:

Extra cash for flightdisruptions/rerouting, health emergency

Concerning Canadians having USD accounts:

a quick look shows the interest rate on saving in USD here in Canada is .05 to .15% If you have USD 60,000.00 or more you can get .20%.

Not a good deal over any period of time to stick money in account paying those rates!

Agreed and thanks for the insight. I was unaware of that fact.

Very often I would ask clients which card they would like to put the booking on and they would quickly ask me the exchange rate because "I'm not sure if I want to use my USD account or not." Seemed to be a rather common thing

Agreed and thanks for the insight. I was unaware of that fact.

Very often I would ask clients which card they would like to put the booking on and they would quickly ask me the exchange rate because "I'm not sure if I want to use my USD account or not." Seemed to be a rather common thing

It was common to have USD accounts when Canadians could buy USD at a mark-up of maybe 1- 5%. Not too bad to hold some USD in very low interest rate accounts when you know you will be using it sooner than later.

Now, Canadians have to buy USD at a mark-up of 40% (up from about 25 -30% earlier this year) and then let it sit at .05 to .15%.

Thanks for your insight. I enjoy your posts.

Concerning Canadians having USD accounts:

a quick look shows the interest rate on saving in USD here in Canada is .05 to .15% If you have USD 60,000.00 or more you can get .20%.

Not a good deal over any period of time to stick money in account paying those rates!

Savings interest rates are about as dismal here in the States. Sometimes there are places paying a bit more but nothing spectacular.

Now, Canadians have to buy USD at a mark-up of 40%

Once again, the exchange rate is not a mark-up. 1.40 CAD is not 40% more value than 1.00 USD. It's the same value. USD and CAD are not the same, and are not intended to be the same.

USD and CAD are not traded at par, except by chance occasionally. If you don't get it, I advise you do convert your dollars to Japanese yen, and you will be independently wealthy for the rest of your life; filthy rich. It makes about as much sense as calling the CAD/USD exchange rate a "mark-up".

Once again, the exchange rate is not a mark-up. 1.40 CAD is not 40% more value than 1.00 USD. It's the same value. USD and CAD are not the same, and are not intended to be the same.

USD and CAD are not traded at par, except by chance occasionally. If you don't get it, I advise you do convert your dollars to Japanese yen, and you will be independently wealthy for the rest of your life; filthy rich. It makes about as much sense as calling the CAD/USD exchange rate a "mark-up".

Reminds me of a bit on the Howard Stern Show, called "Who Wants To Be A (Turkish) Millionaire". Contestants answered questions to win $1,000,000 Turkish. Many of the contestants were furious when they went to cash their million Turkish dollars it was about $17.00 American. Hilarious!

We are also 'not in the same boat'. While in years past we did live with similar exchange rates, that was when we were both working. Now, newly retired, we are retooling our holiday plans for the foreseeable future and will be traveling in Canada until things look up, dollar wise. I feel sorry for the merchants etc. close to the border who are not getting the traffic they used to.

People don't expect one $US to be equal to one Ruble or one Dinar or one Peso, etc, but do strangely think that one $US should equal one $CAD.

Edited by jtl513