Gem slide still not operational

jkneern

Cheng, I admire you for your knowledge and for taking the time to share it here. That said, it feels disingenuous to equate the Gem slide situation with that of a single broken toilet or a ride at an amusement park. There are tons of rides at an amusement park. The Gem slide is the only one aboard. I would not tell a customer, for example: Sorry the Gem slide is out of commission -- why don't you try Karaoke?

Don -- I was looking on some other threads about restrictions for use of the slides on BA. To use the vertical slides on BA, the passenger must weigh no less than 100 pounds. There is an upper restriction also. (I am not sure about the restrictions for the other BA slide.) Does your younger grandson meet the height restriction (48 inches) for Gem?

My wish is that the new slide, when finished, will allow smaller kids to ride.

- Carol

Carol, I agree with you 100%!

It is comparing apples to oranges.

We went to Disney World two summers ago with them and a few rides were closed. It did not matter because there were so many other attractions, they did not care.

Yes, I believe he is 48 inches since he meets the height requirements at my village pool water slide, but I will check.

Thanks.

Don

Maybe its just me, but I don't get why this is such an issue. I have been to several theme parks where at least one ride or attraction is down for repair or refurbishment, and I never would have thought to ask, in advance, for notification that it wasn't working, let alone an explanation as to why or when it would be up, and couldn't conceive of thinking of compensation for it not working. Have you ever flown on a plane where one of the toilets doesn't work? Did you ask for notification in advance, or expect a refund for not being able to use it? I guess I'm just old fashioned.

As others have said it's not even close to being the same comparison. The slide is one of the few things that families can do on the pool deck together. Kids aren't allowed in the adults pool and parents don't want to be splashed by other kids in the other pool.

$5 or $10 perhaps. Like they sometimes do for a last minute issue.

If the slide isn't fixed by the time of my cruise I don't want an OBC. An OBC isn't going to do anything to alleviate the slide being broken. I just want it fixed or an official answer from NCL as to why they can't fix it in time.

Maybe its just me, but I don't get why this is such an issue. I have been to several theme parks where at least one ride or attraction is down for repair or refurbishment, and I never would have thought to ask, in advance, for notification that it wasn't working, let alone an explanation as to why or when it would be up, and couldn't conceive of thinking of compensation for it not working. Have you ever flown on a plane where one of the toilets doesn't work? Did you ask for notification in advance, or expect a refund for not being able to use it? I guess I'm just old fashioned.

Theme parks have multiple attractions and yes unless it's a current breakdown they post when something is being refurbished and when it is reopening

The gem has a slide and pool

So it's apples and oranges

Btw the people most inconvenienced by the slide issue will be those who complain most about kids on a cruise

Those kids will now be in the pools and hot tubs constantly

Whereas the would have spent hours on the slide.

As others have said it's not even close to being the same comparison. The slide is one of the few things that families can do on the pool deck together. Kids aren't allowed in the adults pool and parents don't want to be splashed by other kids in the other pool.

If the slide isn't fixed by the time of my cruise I don't want an OBC. An OBC isn't going to do anything to alleviate the slide being broken. I just want it fixed or an official answer from NCL as to why they can't fix it in time.

Well I don't want an obc either but it will hurt Ncl to have to give one...which will get them moving to fix it...of course for future cruises and you unfortunately will not benefit nor will I

As far as an "official" answer from Ncl ....well since I don't exactly trust them since fdr took over....they can give you any answer they want...say it's official...lol....to get you off their back....and it will still not push them to fix the slide.

They will not hurry to fix the slide when $$$ are involved and that's why I say $5 or $10....chump change to the individual pax but multiplied by 2300 pax per cruise will get Ncl to move on this.

Edited by luvtheships

I'm also old fashioned and agree with you.

I suspect the children who will be disappointed will get over it in a few minutes and find something else to do.

Life isn't perfect and you don't always get what you want or were expecting. The younger that children learn that lesson the happier they'll be in the long run. Perhaps some of the people who are complaining about this never have learned it. Given how many self-absorbed people I encounter it wouldn't surprise me.

chengkp75's credentials are rock solid, when some don't like the answers they question his job, because there is no other answer to the technical part of it.

Whether the slide opens again next week or two years from now, NCL is not going to give anyone an answer on here! Those that claim it will ruin their cruise have options. Take them or use this as a teaching tool for the kids, life is not always about you! I've spent quite a few years working at amusement parks to stay busy in the summer, it's always the one ride or activity that is closed that is the one and only reason some come to the park!! They always want something for their heartbroken kids/or adults. They never get it and never should, life is full of disappointments. The same parents that claim junior will be heartbroken are the ones who let the kids in the adults pool and hot tubs, because, they will be disappointed if they don't! Right!! It's a very small water slide, not an E ride at Disney, who by the way, shut down rides all the time, big or little. Bet they don't give your money back when they do, nor do they buy your lunch, or give you cash!

I cannot speak for others, but for me this is a BIG issue only because my grandsons love the water slide so much and when I showed them the various photos of the GEM when we told them about the cruise, all they talked about was the water slide. What can I say, but these kids are more excited about this on the GEM than anything else. :)

I even called Concierge Services last month because NCL directed me there because I wanted to know if I could switch to the Breakaway because of the importance of the water slide to my grandsons. They assured me that it would be open by my cruise (January 22nd) and there was no need to switch.

I guess I am a grandfather who wants his two grandsons to have a "super cruise" for their FIRST CRUISE and does not want to disappoint them in anyway.

Isn't that what grandfathers do? :)

Frankly, with this issue still not resolved and my cruise only a month away has me a bit nervous and that is my concern.

Added to that is all the technical information I am reading and now it might not be as simple a task as I originally thought.

Don

I can see your concern and as a grandfather I can certainly sympathize but if it were me (and I know that it's not) I would be preparing the grandkids now- "you know, they are having issues with the slide and while they hope it will be fixed by the time we cruise it may not be ready, so we may have to figure out something else to do".

Cheng, I admire you for your knowledge and for taking the time to share it here. That said, it feels disingenuous to equate the Gem slide situation with that of a single broken toilet or a ride at an amusement park. There are tons of rides at an amusement park. The Gem slide is the only one aboard. I would not tell a customer, for example: Sorry the Gem slide is out of commission -- why don't you try Karaoke?

Don -- I was looking on some other threads about restrictions for use of the slides on BA. To use the vertical slides on BA, the passenger must weigh no less than 100 pounds. There is an upper restriction also. (I am not sure about the restrictions for the other BA slide.) Does your younger grandson meet the height restriction (48 inches) for Gem?

My wish is that the new slide, when finished, will allow smaller kids to ride.

- Carol

Carol and Don, I agree with both of your posts 100%. I am sailing with all adults so honestly it's not too much of a big deal to me, although I would love to try the slide. With that being said, for all the people who don't think it's a big deal I am very surprised at your comments. There is absolutely no comparison to an amusement park, as others have said they have many many rides. There is only 1 slide on this ship. I am not sure about you, but when I book a cruise I look at what the ship has to offer and than make my decision accordingly. The people who are upset about the slide not working have every right to be upset. They booked this cruise with the idea that the "new" slide would be operational

when the sailed with their children. If it is not working than in my opinion they were misled, it's really that simple. I don't think they are making a big deal out of nothing, they were told a brand new slide would be on the ship and they could use it. Have a little compassion for mothers, fathers, and grand parents who will now have to explain to their children that the big, beautiful slide they see is not working. If I had children sailing with me I would be a little mad too. Why anytime someone posts something on this board do people have to get so nasty, isn't this is what the boards are for?? To ask questions and get information, not to hear insults when someone does not agree with your opinion. Now I remember why it's been about 5 years since I stopped visiting these boards. Too many people want to argue about other's opinions. Merry Christmas to all the arguers. Don and Carol and all the others that are upset about the Gem slide, I am sorry and I hope it gets fixed ASAP. I understand your frustration ;)

Carol and Don, I agree with both of your posts 100%. I am sailing with all adults so honestly it's not too much of a big deal to me, although I would love to try the slide. With that being said, for all the people who don't think it's a big deal I am very surprised at your comments. There is absolutely no comparison to an amusement park, as others have said they have many many rides. There is only 1 slide on this ship. I am not sure about you, but when I book a cruise I look at what the ship has to offer and than make my decision accordingly. The people who are upset about the slide not working have every right to be upset. They booked this cruise with the idea that the "new" slide would be operational

when the sailed with their children. If it is not working than in my opinion they were misled, it's really that simple. I don't think they are making a big deal out of nothing, they were told a brand new slide would be on the ship and they could use it. Have a little compassion for mothers, fathers, and grand parents who will now have to explain to their children that the big, beautiful slide they see is not working. If I had children sailing with me I would be a little mad too. Why anytime someone posts something on this board do people have to get so nasty, isn't this is what the boards are for?? To ask questions and get information, not to hear insults when someone does not agree with your opinion. Now I remember why it's been about 5 years since I stopped visiting these boards. Too many people want to argue about other's opinions. Merry Christmas to all the arguers. Don and Carol and all the others that are upset about the Gem slide, I am sorry and I hope it gets fixed ASAP. I understand your frustration ;)

Thank you.....I appreciate your comments and I agree with you about how some people act on these boards.

But as my late Uncle Morris used to say....

"In this world, there are more horses' asses than horses!" :D

I do agree with Sparks' comments and will start preparing them for their possible disappointment on the upcoming cruise (but I will probably wait until after Christmas) :)

Anyway, it is Christmas and time to enjoy the holiday and our families.

Merry Christmas everyone. :)

Don

Edited by dongordon

Thank you.....I appreciate your comments and I agree with you about how some people act on these boards.

But as my late Uncle Morris used to say....

"In this world, there are more horses' asses than horses!" :D

I do agree with Sparks' comments and will start preparing them for their possible disappointment on the upcoming cruise (but I will probably wait until after Christmas) :)

Anyway, it is Christmas and time to enjoy the holiday and our families.

Merry Christmas everyone. :)

Don

Don,

I have a feeling it's going to be open by the time you cruise. They have a whole month to get it fixed, and I don't believe they aren't addressing it as quickly as possible. My wish is that both your grandsons have an amazing first cruise. Merry Christmas.

Vince

When I search for pics of the Gem slide, I see a yellow slide that goes around twice. Is that the slide we're talking about? I would have expected something much more interesting based on this conversation.

That must have been the old slide before the refurb. When we were on the Gem, the slide that is not working is blue.

Don,

I have a feeling it's going to be open by the time you cruise. They have a whole month to get it fixed, and I don't believe they aren't addressing it as quickly as possible. My wish is that both your grandsons have an amazing first cruise. Merry Christmas.

Vince

Thank you so much Vince....Merry Christmas to you as well.

Don

I can understand why kids would get excited about that.:)

Yep, they can use their hands and scoot all the way down. It's certainly not going to be the high speed stuff kids expect today. They angle is so shallow gravity can't take you to the bottom!!!:eek:

Yep, they can use their hands and scoot all the way down. It's certainly not going to be the high speed stuff kids expect today. They angle is so shallow gravity can't take you to the bottom!!!:eek:

Sounds like it's more my speed then:D.

Don....just an FYI...if the slide isn't functional for your cruise is there an indoor park you could maybe take them to ? Near your home or theirs? Or maybe a hotel that has a cool indoor pool?

It's becoming a big thing to renovate Indoor hotel pools to make them look like water parks.

Edited by luvtheships

Don....just an FYI...if the slide isn't functional for your cruise is there an indoor park you could maybe take them to ? Near your home or theirs? Or maybe a hotel that has a cool indoor pool?

It's becoming a big thing to renovate Indoor hotel pools to make them look like water parks.

Thanks for the suggestion....no there isn't, but they will just have to wait until the summer for a water slide. :)

They will still be excited for the cruise. :) The water slide was going to be one of the highlights along with the Coral Beach aquarium in St. Thomas which I will be taking them to at that port. I hope that is as nice as the description.

TCI...I am on the cruise before you (January 22nd)!

Don