Princess Alcatraz Excursion $139

Max49

I see "Alcatraz Cruises" charges about $30 to go to the island. Is it worth the extra $110 to go over the Golden Gate bridge and see Sausalito?

It looks like 'Alcatraz Cruises" is only about 1000' or so from Pier 27 where the ship docks for 16 hours. Is there any problem in just walking to the tour operator from the ship?

Thanks in advance

Max

Definitely book those reservations in advance. The last time we did the trip over to Alcatraz we had pre-booked. There were a surprising number of people just walking up to try to purchase tickets for that day, only to be told that the next date with availability was about a week later. Some very surprised and disappointed folks.

Thanks for the heads up ! I tried to reserve it but it still won't reserve out that far yet. It would have let me reserve to Mar 7 but it would;nt let me even for Mar 14, and I need it for Mar 21. I gotta remember to check again within a week again.

This tour usually sells out so I can tell you that you should purchase your tickets on line.

By the way you could also take a ferry over to Sausalito should you wish to do this after you get back from Alcatraz.

Keith

Thanks Keith, taking a ferry to Sausalito is another great idea. That's where the Princess excursion bus was going to take us after Alcatraz.

At first I wondered why Princess stopped in SF for 16 hours; but do you think they do that because there is so much to do there?

I do have a "Hold" on the Princess $139 Alcatraz excursion which I won't release until I get my reservation through http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/

for about $30.

Since this is a National Park I tried to research if they take the "Senior Pass" but it's certainly not a deal breaker whether they do or not.

We did the Alcatraz tour 'on our own' thru that website. It worked out well. We walked off the ship and down a few Berths to the Alcatraz pier. We were in the first tour groups of the day which is nice because it gets pretty busy on the little island as the morning progresses.

What I could gather is Alcatraz is a NP, but there is no fee to enter. We had the America the Beautiful NP annual pass that year and we were hoping for a break on price, too. However, it requires a ferry to get to it, which is where the $30 'Alcatraz cruise' prices comes in. There is an audio self guided tour included in the price.

It was an interesting historical start to our long day in SF. We were off the ship for over 12 hours. It was my favorite port of that cruise, I wish we had 2 days!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
I see "Alcatraz Cruises" charges about $30 to go to the island. Is it worth the extra $110 to go over the Golden Gate bridge and see Sausalito?

It looks like 'Alcatraz Cruises" is only about 1000' or so from Pier 27 where the ship docks for 16 hours. Is there any problem in just walking to the tour operator from the ship?

Thanks in advance

Max

We did a cruise last January on QE and booked the Alcatraz tour online and booked the first morning tour. We got off the ship and walked down to the Alcatraz Tour area, got in line and on the ferry and were the first tour of the morning. We had the "island" to ourselves for quite some time before the others arrived. It was great and it saved some money too!

We didn't go to Sausalito so I can't advise about that.

Edited by alibabacruisers