Budget lines vs "mainstream" lines

mrobstad

Since we live on an island off the coast of south Georgia, we can go to the beach any day. The last thing we want to do is spend dollars to visit a beach anywhere.

Also, my dermatologist requires me to load up on sun block, so laying out at the beach is not for me.

Since we live on an island off the coast of south Georgia, we can go to the beach any day. The last thing we want to do is spend dollars to visit a beach anywhere.

Also, my dermatologist requires me to load up on sun block, so laying out at the beach is not for me.

We live on the south shore of Long Island and I only go to the beach in the winter when it's empty!!! You point out a sad and painful truth....once you cover yourself with sun block and lie down on the beach sand....you never want to do it again!!!!

Edited by Hydrokitty

Just a heads up. X cruises from Bayonne, south of the Statue of Liberty. You will not pass it unless the Captain detours. That may happen on departure, but almost certainly not on your return.

If you are on the Summit, Captain Leo or Captain Kate will swing round and get you past the Statue. Getting back on topic, I realize that what some may consider budget may be perfectly fine for others. It depends on your expectations. Case in point, MDR on X. Perfectly acceptable to those used to Royal, same with included booze package, I'm fine with it, I won't die if I don't have 100 year old scotch. Others find it unacceptable.

Why do you cruise? We cruise for the experiences gained. We like to stop into pubs and cafes in the towns we visit. But I want to have a certain level of service when I'm on vacation. Others like to be pampered. I can live without a bathtub for ten days. I can live without a butler.

If you are on the Summit, Captain Leo or Captain Kate will swing round and get you past the Statue. Getting back on topic, I realize that what some may consider budget may be perfectly fine for others. It depends on your expectations. Case in point, MDR on X. Perfectly acceptable to those used to Royal, same with included booze package, I'm fine with it, I won't die if I don't have 100 year old scotch. Others find it unacceptable.

Why do you cruise? We cruise for the experiences gained. We like to stop into pubs and cafes in the towns we visit. But I want to have a certain level of service when I'm on vacation. Others like to be pampered. I can live without a bathtub for ten days. I can live without a butler.

We are on the Summit...and you made my day!!! Thank you...as to the rest of your post...I couldn't have said it better myself... It's interesting how we're all interested in the same things but have such different levels of creature comforts....I like my trip accommodations to be a bit more plush than home, but if I had a butler I think I would exceed my comfort level!! It's enough that someone else is doing the driving, cleaning and cooking :D

As for the bathtub....I'm trying to convince DH that we need to remove our jacuzzi bathtub and replace it with a walk-in shower just like on Celebrity and river cruises!!!

Edited by Hydrokitty

Well said. We enjoy maximizing our time in towns as well and local pubs and cafes are a big part of what we enjoy. Soaking up as much of the local culture as possible is high on our list and this is why we prefer itineraries with long days in port; overnight stays are even better.

We also travel to enjoy time together as a couple since our lives here at home are very hectic with work and other responsibilities. We enjoy traveling with friends or by ourselves and are not particularly fond of having to share tables with strangers. For us, it can feel too much like work to have to make conversation when we are not in the mood to do so. This for us is a downside to river cruising, as we will always choose a table for 2 over sitting with strangers.

We do enjoy upscale ccommodations when we travel and definitely require great housekeeping, good beds, good food, and great service. While I LOVE to have a tub - and will use it daily when someone else is cleaning the bathroom ;) - it is not a consideration for us when we choose a ship/hotel.

We do go to resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico that have butler service and we enjoy it, but do not choose based on that level of service. It is the total package we consider.

Edited by caviargal

As for the bathtub....I'm trying to convince DH that we need to remove our jacuzzi bathtub and replace it with a walk-in shower just like on Celebrity and river cruises!!!

I think that's an important item to consider when "age-proofing" a home. We're lucky to have a shower in one bathroom already. But DW already fell because of the tub [which happily led to the timely discovery of a meningioma, but that's another story :)] Down the road, that bathtub space is large enough to make a walk-in shower -- my Mother did that as she aged in place, and it was really helpful -- with that and a chair-lift we should be able to stay here in our dotage.

I think that's an important item to consider when "age-proofing" a home. We're lucky to have a shower in one bathroom already. But DW already fell because of the tub [which happily led to the timely discovery of a meningioma, but that's another story :)] Down the road, that bathtub space is large enough to make a walk-in shower -- my Mother did that as she aged in place, and it was really helpful -- with that and a chair-lift we should be able to stay here in our dotage.

Making your post required reading for DH in order to get dinner tonight! :D

Especially the part where Mrs. Jazz fell, notwithstanding the lucky benefit from her fall. We have a jacuzzi tub, which of course is much deeper than a normal tub and while it was wonderful when we got it, now it's really hard to get in and out of....and you're right about the space being more than sufficient....thanks for the reference....I'll let you know how it turns out!!! :D

Thanks square van....size of cabin doesn't matter to me, and paying for excursions I wanted is ok too.

We have sailed most of the lines that offer river cruising (AMA, Avalon, Uniworld, Viking, Scenic... Emerald booked for next year). We are not particularly bothered by the size of the room, as we don't spend that much time in it. While we do enjoy an upscale experience, we do watch our vacation budget as we still have one child in school - and the middle child just returned home (and we may need to help out financially for a while yet). Hence - we almost exclusively book Aquarium class and are very happy with that. A balcony - "real" or French isn't that important to us - but not everyone feels that way.

We usually travel shoulder season - and often look for sailings in April/May or October.

Have fun planning!!

Fran

Edited by franski

Getting back on topic. My first "proper" river cruise was on CroiseEurope. Being a solo river cruiser the cabin size suited me as did not having to pay out for excursions I didn't want to go on. Also the mix of many different nationalities is a plus for me.

Thanks for steering the topic back where it belongs squarevanman. I am newly-widowed and have budget limitations. I have decided I am cruising the rivers of Europe to see the scenery and explore the towns, not to have a plunge pool, personal butler, multiple dining venues etc that the "flash" companies provide.

I have paid deposits on two back-to-back cruises totalling 21 days in May-June this year. For approx one-quarter of an expensive line's fare I will see the scenery and towns of the Saar, Moselle, Main, Rhine and Danube (from Saarbrucken in the west to Budapest in the east) in a sole occupancy, upper-deck cabin with large picture window.

From reading the few reviews available, I understand breakfast is buffet-style while lunch and dinner are a set menu (with options possible with enough notice). Again, I'm not cruising on the rivership as a dining experience - all my life I have wanted to see the sights of the Rhine and Danube and Croiseurope seems to be an affordable way to do that!!

I appreciate your brief post and endorsement of the Croiseurope experience squarevanman.

Would you mind posting a little more detail. Some reviewers have been scathing about the comfort of the beds, the size of the shower, the tastiness of the food, language problems with crew, the quality of the excursions etc. With so few reviews, it's hard to work out whether the reviewers are just snobs and "picky" or had genuine grievances.

Many thanks. :)

to see the scenery and explore the towns[/b]' date=' not to have a plunge pool, personal butler, multiple dining venues etc that the "flash" companies provide.

I appreciate your brief post and endorsement of the Croiseurope experience squarevanman.

Would you mind posting a little more detail. Some reviewers have been scathing about the comfort of the beds, the size of the shower, the tastiness of the food, language problems with crew, the quality of the excursions etc. With so few reviews, it's hard to work out whether the reviewers are just snobs and "picky" or had genuine grievances.

Many thanks. :)[/quote']

IMO, you made a great decision based on your personal priorities. You have a clear vision of what you are looking for and chose a line that delivers that. You also are not expecting luxury. No need to pay for bells and whistles that are not important to you personally.

We visited a Croisi ship in July while in France and it was immaculate, comfortable and modern. Passengers all seemed to be having a lovely time. As we pulled out late one evening their main lounge was packed full with guests dancing, laughing and have fun, while ours was nearly empty.

Criosieurope is known for offering a huge range of itineraries offering very good value. I am sure you will have a great trip!