Behind the Fun!

Timsierramist

This is the biggest thing I want to do on my upcoming first time cruise! I don't see any way to do it from Carnival's website, so i'm curious what is the best way to ensure I get my shot? Do I sign up at Guest Services? Should this be my very first stop when I board?

What is the cost of this tour? Does it vary by ship (i'll be on Imagination) or is it a set price? Any good reviews? I imagine all are very positive!

Thank you!

This is the biggest thing I want to do on my upcoming first time cruise! I don't see any way to do it from Carnival's website, so i'm curious what is the best way to ensure I get my shot? Do I sign up at Guest Services? Should this be my very first stop when I board?

What is the cost of this tour? Does it vary by ship (i'll be on Imagination) or is it a set price? Any good reviews? I imagine all are very positive!

Thank you!

It's been about 5 years since I did it...but here is what we had to do.

Board and go directly to the shore excursion desk. Explain what you want and pay. It was US$95. at that time.

There are severe limitations for this tour. Two groups of 16 was all that were allowed to enroll. The tour is on the last sea day of the cruise. Lots of stairs.

While I enjoyed our tour, there was an old _art who thought he was on a private tour and monopolized the guide with his questions and stories. I was irritated at him and very disappointed in the tour guide for allowing it to happen.

Book this at the Shore-Ex desk the minute you set foot on the ship. The cost depends, I believe, on the length of the cruise...or was it the ship type...no, I think it is the length of the cruise. It was $95 on our 7-day Dream sailing.

Behind The Fun Tour Prices:

3 to 5 day sailings (2 hr tour) - $55

6 day or longer sailings (3.5 hr tour) - $95

Carnival Behind The Fun Tour info listed below is located @:

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1386/~/carnival%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%98behind-the-fun%E2%80%99-tour

(Behind The Fun General Information)

1) ‘Behind the Fun’ can only be purchased on board through the Shore Excursion Desk.

2) Depending on the duration of the cruise, the cost is $55 to $95 per person and is approximately 2 hours to 3-1/2 hours long.

3) Capacity is limited to 16 guests per tour.

4) Tours are conducted on the last sea day of each cruise.

5) Guests must be 8 years of age or older to participate; anyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.

6) Guests are not permitted to have cameras, cell phones or video recording equipment on the tour.

For those who want to get an insider’s look at the inner-workings of a Carnival ‘Fun Ship’, Carnival has created ‘Behind the Fun’, a guided tour that provides guests with a unique insight into the company’s shipboard operations.

‘Behind the Fun’ is offered fleet wide. The informative tour offers participants a behind-the-scenes look at a wide range of shipboard venues that are normally off limits to guests. During the tour, key shipboard personnel, including the captain, chief engineer, chef de cuisine and other department heads, share their vast knowledge in their particular area of expertise.

‘Behind the Fun’ begins with a stop backstage in the main show lounge where participants can see exactly what goes into creating Carnival’s award-winning revues. The tour then moves on to normally restricted areas such as the laundry room, crew galley and dining room, crew gym and crew training center.

Next it’s on to the expansive main galley where talented culinary artists prepare upwards of 12,000 meals and snacks a day for Carnival’s guests. The tour also includes a visit to the ship’s bridge and engine control room and informative Q&A sessions with the captain and chief engineer, respectively.

In addition to a comprehensive overview of Carnival’s shipboard operations, ‘Behind the Fun’ participants receive a number of commemorative gifts, including a custom-made ‘Behind the Fun’ baseball cap and lanyard and even complimentary photos with the captain on the bridge.

Edited by ObstructedView2

My husband and I did the tour on the Dream this past October. It was fantastic and we both enjoyed it, and I am sure you will as well.

I don't think this has been mentioned in this thread: the tour requires you to wear closed-toe shoes, so make sure that you pack some.

Have fun!

We took the tour in May while on the Conquest. We really enjoyed it, especially the time we spent on the bridge. We had the best view of the ocean from the bridge. We received two group pictures, one on the bridge with the captain and one from the bow next to the crew swimming pool. We also received two hats that said "Behind the Fun", two string bags, a free mimosa drink and a soap carving. Not really sure why they give away the soap carving. Also, there were snacks in the library before the tour, and snacks at the half way point in the main dinning room. The big surprise was a plate of chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us in our cabin.

It was lots of fun, but also a lot of walking and going up and downstairs. Luckily, there were enough stops along the way so you can catch your breath.

We did this on the Victory when we did our southern cruise out of San Juan. At that time, the cost on Victory was $55/person (cost was dependent on class of ship). Now, according to CCL's website, it does appear to be based on duration of cruise vs class of ship. For $55, it was definitely worth it.

The ship excursion desk should be your first stop when boarding to make sure you get to do this. I think we went to eat first, but when we went to sign up for this after eating, we weren't the first ones to sign up. They actually just put our names on a sheet of paper and said the charge would be made once the ship was out of port.

Very fun to do, especially once you've been on a couple of cruises already.

Go straight to the excursion desk, if it is not open to guest services as soon as you board. They enforce the closed toed shoes rule and they search you with a wand before going so you don't have a camera or other contraband. Some steps are very steep, more like a ladder, in some places. Might need a bathroom break but they don't offer one. Nice goodies afterward.

Have a great cruise!

They actually just put our names on a sheet of paper and said the charge would be made once the ship was out of port.

Thanks for this bit of info. Want to do this, but was concerned that it would sell out before we get there. We are funding out S&S cards by cash and stopping by GS beforehand would probably take a while.

Thanks for this bit of info. Want to do this, but was concerned that it would sell out before we get there. We are funding out S&S cards by cash and stopping by GS beforehand would probably take a while.

I funded my cash account at a kiosk, no lines. I don't know how it recognizes the denominations of the bills inserted, but it does. I'd try to book the tour first then fund the account.

I funded my cash account at a kiosk, no lines. I don't know how it recognizes the denominations of the bills inserted, but it does. I'd try to book the tour first then fund the account.

Will do.

Our daughter is in the Sea Scouts and it would be really cool if we can do this. :D

I did it on NCL and had a great time. I'm looking forward to trying the Carnival version in April.

Question for those who have done it before. The NCL version starts with a briefing by the tour guide which was a slide show where he talked about the history of the cruise line. Does Carnival do anything like this? It was very informative and was a fun start to the tour. It won't be a deal breaker if Carnival doesn't do this but am curious.

So if I read this right our 5night/6day cruise on the Freedom would be the 3.5hr $95/pp tour?

From Carnival's web site:

Behind The Fun Tour Prices:

3 to 5 day sailings (2 hr tour) - $55

6 day or longer sailings (3.5 hr tour) - $95

The cruise we purchased is listed as being a "5 day" cruise. It's 5 nights and 6 days. That's the same time frame as yours. I'm taking it as the cost being $55 since the cruise is listed as 5 days.

Did this on the Triumph, (7 day - 2010), and Elation (5 day - 2011). Minor differences.

During the Triumph tour, we saw the outside of the brig, behind the scenes of the Shows, main engeneering room, galley, had a group pic at the front of the ship and on the bridge, plus individual pictures with the Captain. For goodies, we received a wet bag, cap, soap, and lanyard, plus the pictures we took and Chocolate Strawberry’s in our stateroom upon return. (Double everything as two was booked).

On the Elation, no brig, they only took and received one group picture, another lanyard, and a sweet tray was in our stateroom, (two CCS, and some cookie type things).

So for $40 less - only received one picture, one desert tray, (not just CC Strawberrys), no hat or wet bag.