Pacific Eden Gastro Intestinal Outbreak - Media Reports

I still think that yes whilst there are grubby buggers who are less that hygeinic on cruises across all brands, the staff also are a cause of outbreaks too.

PnO continue to do simple things like not have paper covered straws and the staff put these in your drinks. Handling limes and cocktail fruit with their hands, shaking hands etc.

Time for the cruises companies to have a good hard look at their own practices and stop blaming cruisers 100%

Channel Nine story was a series of grabs with unhappy customers - and the usual comment about people demanding refunds

No representative from P&O appeared on camera - just the standard spiel about their high standards of hygiene etc etc

It was interesting to see someone described as Jamie Abbott saying "these things happen" type comments - earlier today she was quoted in the (un)Fairfax reports as very unhappy about things - interesting change of heart

Edited by Bodogbodog

Channel Nine story was a series of grabs with unhappy customers - and the usual comment about people demanding refunds

No representative from P&O appeared on camera - just the standard spiel about their high standards of hygiene etc etc

The part about using VB cans to prop up stuff was interesting though :confused:

I blame the cruise lines for these outbreaks for failure to keep the ship clean. I also think the crew are just as likely to be culprits as the passengers. When I go on cruises now I take my own tube of antiseptic wipes and before I unpack my luggage every surface of my cabin is wiped down with these wipes. I know the cruise staff wont do it.

I blame the cruise lines for these outbreaks for failure to keep the ship clean. I also think the crew are just as likely to be culprits as the passengers. When I go on cruises now I take my own tube of antiseptic wipes and before I unpack my luggage every surface of my cabin is wiped down with these wipes. I know the cruise staff wont do it.

It isn't the job of the cruise staff to clean cabins. That is done by cabin stewards. I am not convinced that wiping down surfaces in your cabin will protect you from noro. Consider how noro virus enters someone's body: it is through the mouth. The only way that wiping down surfaces in your cabin will make a difference is if you plan to lick the surfaces ;) or if you touch infected surfaces then either put your fingers in your mouth or handle food you eat.:)

It isn't the job of the cruise staff to clean cabins. That is done by cabin stewards. I am not convinced that wiping down surfaces in your cabin will protect you from noro. Consider how noro virus enters someone's body: it is through the mouth. The only way that wiping down surfaces in your cabin will make a difference is if you plan to lick the surfaces ;) or if you touch infected surfaces then either put your fingers in your mouth or handle food you eat.:)
Shhhh

We all know the sargeant major made the little boys lick his boots clean. ;)

every surface of my cabin is wiped down with these wipes. I know the cruise staff wont do it.

Won't touch cabin TV REMOTE CONTROL until we sanitize with wipes and same goes for the POKIE machines ....if we are going to play wipes come with us...not paranoid just playing safe :eek::D:D:eek:

Look at the video on the Age or SMH website the ship is a RUST bucket, never mind the noro. Rust in bathrooms, plumbing fittings, windows. All in the video. Obviously no quality control at P & O Australia in accepting this boat from Holland America in that condition, and secondly for putting it into service with P & O Australia in that decrepit condition. Caveat Emptor !!!!

Buyer Beware .

Hi all,

We returned to Sydney this morning from the Pacific Eden's Christmas cruise.

Reading this thread I am reluctant to post my daily blog reports from the trip as I fear I will be just 'flamed down" for expressing my thoughts.

Can I just say that we did take a big tube of disinfectant wipes and used the entire lot throughout the cruise wiping draw handles, tv remote, and basically everything that was in the cabin. Made it a habit to wash our hand upon entering and leaving the cabin.

Fortunately, we did not get sick, but a numberof people mention they had been ill.

Staffing onboard does seem to be a problem and it definitely needs more attention to ensure a crew member is stationed at the entry to all food outlets to ensure everyone sanitizes their hand. This is not currently happening.

I need to think about whether I post by blog notes. Not sure I want to be shot down for expressing an honest personal review of the trip. The good, the bad and the ugly. What are your thoughts?

Hi all,

Reading this thread I am reluctant to post my daily blog reports from the trip as I fear I will be just 'flamed down" for expressing my thoughts.

Can I just say that we did take a big tube of disinfectant wipes and used the entire lot throughout thre cruise wiping draw handles, tv remote, and basically everything that was in the cabin. Made it a habit to wash our hand upon entering and leaving the cabin.

Fortunately, we did not get sick, but a numberof people mention they had been ill.

Staffing onboard does seem to be a problem and it definitely needs more attention to ensure a crew member is stationed at the entry to all food outlets to ensure everyone sanitizes their hand. This is not currently happening.

I need to think about whether I post by blog notes. Not sure I want to be shot down for expressing an honest personal review of the trip. The good, the bad and the ugly. What are your thoughts?

Hi Mark great news you got through the cruise fit and well 😊 when we arrived back from Legend of the Seas repo earlier this month i was hesitant in posting for the very same sentiments ...... people especially those loyal to a brand hate anything negative said about " their" brand ... and then there are those who say you are overreacting or being unrealistic ... forget them, most weren't even on the cruise, and their comments aren't worth worrying about ... please go ahead ...

PS: it is such a shame that people dont feel comfortable posting .... sad times :(

Mark

You should definitely post your account and experiences - you were there so your account has a lot more credibility and validity than those relying on third hand reports of what happened.

Good or bad it's definitely relevant and will be appreciated by those wanting to learn the real situation

Hi all,

Can I just say that we did take a big tube of disinfectant wipes and used the entire lot throughout the cruise wiping draw handles, tv remote, and basically everything that was in the cabin. Made it a habit to wash our hand upon entering and leaving the cabin.

As someone who's going on Eden in a few week's time I'd like to read it - there's already a mix of both positive and negative reviews so I don't think adding another one will be an issue.

Go for it Mark.

I was on both the inaugural Eden and Aria cruises and experienced the highs and lows. Whilst I enjoyed the cruise especially being part of the 5 ship spectacular, the lows should not have happened then and really should not still be happening. Unfortunately in the beginning, reality didn't match the hype. But I would love to try them again but not for a while.

Just my opinion....

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Hi Mark,

I think you should post your review - after all it is your experience and what you made of it and if there were issues so be it....

There will always be people who will take offence to anything written on here...and to be fair there are a fair few people who dislike P&O but there are also a fair few people who dislike HAL, RCI, Princess, etc. So go for it I say - post what you thought of your cruise and try to ignore the comments where you can :)

Just as a fyi - there was a comment re a sign on the toilet door in one of the earlier posts on this thread - that sign has always been there. Eden was a handmedown ship from HAL and HAL has those signs all the time on the public toilet doors :)

Ok, the consensus is that I should post my daily blog notes from the Pacific Eden Christmas cruise.

I willl start a new thread for it, but I may need some of you to defend me from the flames that I know will come my way. I simply want to give my honest personal feelings, but people get so angry and bitter.

Naturally, I will eventually submit a full review and get Louise to place that in the review section, but for the moment will share my blog notes.

Thanks everyone.

Ok, the consensus is that I should post my daily blog notes from the Pacific Eden Christmas cruise.

I willl start a new thread for it, but I may need some of you to defend me from the flames that I know will come my way. I simply want to give my honest personal feelings, but people get so angry and bitter.

Naturally, I will eventually submit a full review and get Louise to place that in the review section, but for the moment will share my blog notes.

Thanks everyone.

Don't read too much into people comments. You don't have to defend yourself as its YOUR experience.

Thanks everyone.

Go for it, don't hold back, P&O Australia need to learn the truth, as do we. Not that I would go on P&O Australia again, once was enough.

Look at the video on the Age or SMH website the ship is a RUST bucket, never mind the noro. Rust in bathrooms, plumbing fittings, windows. All in the video. Obviously no quality control at P & O Australia in accepting this boat from Holland America in that condition, and secondly for putting it into service with P & O Australia in that decrepit condition. Caveat Emptor !!!!

Buyer Beware .

P&O Australia would have had no say in taking the two HAL ships, what were they again? Ryndam/Statendam? When Carnival Corp says jump, all the Carnival brands obey.

A year or two ago I was considering doing Ryndam, until I read some of the reviews, mainly from North American pax. These two ex HAL ships are past their use by date as are the rest of the P&O Australia/Princess Australia fleet.