Pacific Eden Gastro Intestinal Outbreak - Media Reports

Absolutely post your review Mark. I was on Eden recently as well and it wasn't good. I'm not a P&O hater but I am certainly unimpressed with the company. The two new ships should have been properly refurbished, not just tarted up with new money making opportunities. P&O really p**s me off because they have generally good ship staff, plenty of ships and some great itineraries. It all bodes well for a great trip, but management of the company really fails. Maintenance, training, planning. Basic management principles really P&O. Ignore the flames mate, tell it like it is!

Steve.

We did two cruises on the Ryndam several years ago and she was a beautiful ship. From the reports, it sounds as if she had been 'let go' and then not renovated for her role as part of the P&O Australia fleet.

Before Pacific Sun came to Australia we cruised on her as the Carnival Jubilee. We were disappointed at the signs of wear, even to worn carpets etc. A couple of years later we went on her after she came to Australia as P&O Pacific Sun, and she was in much better condition. It's a pity the same didn't happen with the Ryndam and Statendam when they came over to P&O. Maybe it all comes back to their budget, but I feel the negative reports will cost them more than the cost of renovation in the long run.:)

We did two cruises on the Ryndam several years ago and she was a beautiful ship. From the reports, it sounds as if she had been 'let go' and then not renovated for her role as part of the P&O Australia fleet.

Before Pacific Sun came to Australia we cruised on her as the Carnival Jubilee. We were disappointed at the signs of wear, even to worn carpets etc. A couple of years later we went on her after she came to Australia as P&O Pacific Sun, and she was in much better condition. It's a pity the same didn't happen with the Ryndam and Statendam when they came over to P&O. Maybe it all comes back to their budget, but I feel the negative reports will cost them more than the cost of renovation in the long run.:)

Well said, we were on the very last cruise of Regal Princess, LA to Sydney in 2007. Two years later we gave her a try again as 'Pacific Dawn.' P&O had destroyed her, crowded, shabby, clientele not to our taste, inexperienced crew, food not good, etc, etc. It appears the same has happened to Ryndam/Statendam as Pacific Eden/Aria. Carnival must think anything is good enough for the Aussies, they won't complain. WRONG !!!!

It isn't the job of the cruise staff to clean cabins. That is done by cabin stewards. I am not convinced that wiping down surfaces in your cabin will protect you from noro. Consider how noro virus enters someone's body: it is through the mouth. The only way that wiping down surfaces in your cabin will make a difference is if you plan to lick the surfaces ;) or if you touch infected surfaces then either put your fingers in your mouth or handle food you eat.:)

Agree !! - I am convinced that those small number who get noro on a cruise are in fact those that don't WASH their hands sufficiently before eating and drinking and at other times of the day.

I heard that the celebrity Kate Ritchie and family were 'holed up' in the penthouse on Pacific Eden, getting room service to escape the noro/gastric going around the ship. She was allegedly tweeting 'Use the Hand Sanitiser' or words to that fact.

One big PR nightmare for CEO of Carnival Australia, Ann Sherry.

It has made the TV1 6'o'clock news here in NZ tonight . They ran the channel 9 report on the ship........

but.....

featured it as a new P&O ship , showed shots of the 5 ship spectacular in Sydney Harbour , and said the ship was only launched last month.:eek:

I heard that the celebrity Kate Ritchie and family were 'holed up' in the penthouse on Pacific Eden, getting room service to escape the noro/gastric going around the ship. She was allegedly tweeting 'Use the Hand Sanitiser' or words to that fact.

One big PR nightmare for CEO of Carnival Australia, Ann Sherry.

Hi Uncle Les,

What you did not hear was that Ann Sherry's 2IC, Sture Myrmell (now P&O President) was also on the cruise, but did not appear to step up to the plate to assist with resolving any of the passenger issues. Clearly in holiday mode with the family.

When you get a chance, have a read of my blog notes from the cruise that I posted on a different thread earlier today.

I was on the Voyager this month and had a long chat with a 1 striper crew member who had 23 years of cruising experience both on RCI and PnO.

He told me that if a crew member was sick they had to have their time off approved by the ships doctor, but then their pay was significantly reduced.

I feel most crew would hide their sickness as long as they could to not affect their income.

It is not just passengers to blame for continual outbreaks.

Cruise after cruise with outbreaks on the same ship cannot always be blamed on passengers.

I was on the Voyager this month and had a long chat with a 1 striper crew member who had 23 years of cruising experience both on RCI and PnO.

He told me that if a crew member was sick they had to have their time off approved by the ships doctor, but then their pay was significantly reduced.

I feel most crew would hide their sickness as long as they could to not affect their income.

It is not just passengers to blame for continual outbreaks.

Cruise after cruise with outbreaks on the same ship cannot always be blamed on passengers.

On Princess, crew have told us their pay is not docked if they report sick. If they have symptoms of noro and they do not immediately return to their cabin and phone the medical centre to report it, they have committed a disciplinary offence. That is regarded seriously and stays on their record. The only way I can see that crew would contribute to outbreaks of noro is if they become infected then pass it on before they have any symptoms. That could easily happen.

An interesting aside to the story was a claim by a woman who was interviewed on the news that she was charged $200 for medical treatment for her gastro.

We were both Ill with a gastro on Quantum OTS in May and once I called guest services from my cabin they asked me to report to the medical centre. They also told me that I would get free treatment and some extras to pass away our 2 days in the cabin. Free movies, room service for our special gastro diet, free mini bar (no alcohol of course) unlimited internet.

In a later call to see how we are doing they also told us that there would be a letter with a future cruise credit for the cruise fare for the days we were confined.

That was great customer service and the future credit was certainly not asked for or expected.

Edited by woodyren

YES, YES macntosh - absolutely post your views / blog about Eden.

I am a new poster and because of my early concerns about Eden (have a cruise on 28 Jan)- I've started 2 threads headed:

Pacific Aria & Eden - Terrible first reviews - Why?

ARIA & EDEN problems - answers from P&O - Your thoughts?

And I've done my bit seeking clarification from Corporate Communication Manager for posting in this forum - and I also wrote (yes WROTE) to the Senior Vice President P&O about it, to make sure that his office will bring the negative early news about Eden & Aria to his personal attention.

As to any 'flaming' - I personally do not care - and try to reply whenever possible with facts. And no doubt regular posters to any forum develop thick skin after a while.

It has made the TV1 6'o'clock news here in NZ tonight . They ran the channel 9 report on the ship........

but.....

featured it as a new P&O ship , showed shots of the 5 ship spectacular in Sydney Harbour , and said the ship was only launched last month.:eek:

Oh dear who is writing these media releases? Carnival Australia or the stupid media themselves?

New ships, launched last month', what a load of codswallop.