New to RCI and would like tips!

Hi, I'm new to Royal Caribbean and am hoping that many of you can share any tips that would help ensure an even better cruise experience. Things that you found out while cruising and thought "oh, I wish I would have known" or "I'll have to remember that for next time!" Things that we should pack that might help in the cabin or onboard (example: over the door hooks?). There are 8 in our family, all of adult age, sailing in June 2016!! I'm trying to learn the RCI website and it looks like I can book shows in advance?? Can you bring your own soda? Or maybe RCI has a decent (not outrageously priced) soda purchase plan we could use? Any of these or anything you may have learned during your time on RCI would be greatly appreciated. :):):)

Edited by luvs to cruise 711

Bringing soda onboard is technically against the rules, but usually allowed. Your best luck would be with cans. The soda package is $8 per day for age 18 and over, and $5.50 per day for those under age 18.

You might try looking at the FAQ:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1195482

Thanks so much for the link Bob! I just looked at it real quick to see what was on it and noticed a post from 2010. It stated that there are no self-service laundry areas on RCI ships. Is that still true??

Still true, no Royal ships have self-service laundry or ironing facilities

Oh boo!! But definitely good to know!! Thanks again! Along with learning about the ship, I'm learning how long it's been since I used Cruise Critic. It's a challenge getting around right now. Lol!

Enjoy the rest of your day!

At least the full laundry and dry cleaning services offered by RCCL are reasonably priced. Let someone else do the work while you enjoy your Cruise.

Hi, I'm new to Royal Caribbean and am hoping that many of you can share any tips that would help ensure an even better cruise experience. Things that you found out while cruising and thought "oh, I wish I would have known" or "I'll have to remember that for next time!" Things that we should pack that might help in the cabin or onboard (example: over the door hooks?). There are 8 in our family, all of adult age, sailing in June 2016!! I'm trying to learn the RCI website and it looks like I can book shows in advance?? Can you bring your own soda? Or maybe RCI has a decent (not outrageously priced) soda purchase plan we could use? Any of these or anything you may have learned during your time on RCI would be greatly appreciated. :):):)

Hi! What ship will you be on? That will help us give you more specific tips. :)

You can book shows in advance on line. I definitely recommend doing so for at least the ice show and the comedy show. However, if you do not book in advance(and this is only for entrance, not a specific seat), then you can wait in a stand-by line for any show and will be allowed entrance about 10 minutes before show time. For a one week cruise I can't imagine needing an over-the-door bag. I have done up to 3 weeks and never needed extra storage space.

So, by booking shows in advance you're guaranteed entry to that show? Definitely sounds like I'd need to do that. Thanks for your recommendation of the ice show & comedy show!!

Also, I wasn't necessarily referring to an over-the-door bag, just something like hooks to hang up wet swimsuits, etc.

Edited by luvs to cruise 711

Attend Quest, the adults-only scavenger-hunt type game show. The time and date will appear in the Cruise Compass. It is usually around 11:30 or so at night. As far as I know, it is unique to RCI. You don't have to participate. You can sit in the back and just watch. It is a blast. If a smaller ship, you may need to get there early to get a seat, but easy to get a seat on any ship with an ice rink.

My Time Dining: If you do MTD, I would suggest making reservations ahead of time. You can always change it later easily on the TV in your room or at the Hostess Desk in front of the dining rooms. Then, you don't have to wait for your table.

Same with shows, you can always adjust the times later.

Try the activities that you can only do on RCI: rock climbing, zip line, ice skating, ect. If you are a foodie, I suggest trying their specialty restaurants.

You don't say what ship, but enjoy! We like RCI for our family (one teen) right now. I also had a blast with my sister. I think it would be a fun line with a bunch of friends. Make sure you utilize the Solarium pool and area (adults only pool area.)

Cheers,

Koohiichan

Thinking of a few tips:

Get on board as early as possible and go to the Windjammer for your first meal. If possible, let it be a table by a window. Smile, breathe, and think to yourself, "Yes! We are on a ship. It is going to be an incredible vacation!" After you have eaten, go explore the ship before heading to your stateroom.

Unpack fully and store your luggage under the bed. Even the smallest staterooms have ample storage and shelves.

Plan at least one meal in a specialty restaurant. They are worth paying extra for.

Go to the shows. RCI has great entertainment.

Do something you normally would not do at home. Play Bingo. Dance in the club. Do water aerobics. Get a massage.

Plan everything ahead. Meals. Beverage packages. Excursions. Spa treatments. Entertainment. Tips. Then just show up and ENJOY!

Hi all, I am also new to RCL I have been with NCL recently. .I have been offered the chance to go on the new Oviation of the seas in April.. its a 5 day cruise and all inclusive...any advice or thoughts also appreciated

We were recently on NCL, too. You'll enjoy the differences. Entertainment and food are better on RCI. And the crew will make you feel like you are part of something special.

Here is our video of Allure of the Seas. It's all about the ship so should be of interest.

I love the Allure. Do not miss the Aqua Theater show, I like to go the first night in case the second night is canceled for weather. I also enjoy Giovanni's Table for embarkation lunch. It is $15 and is not the full dinner menu, but it is a great way to relax and be pampered once onboard. Do not try to fit everything in, the ship is amazing and there is so much to do.

I love the Allure. Do not miss the Aqua Theater show, I like to go the first night in case the second night is canceled for weather. I also enjoy Giovanni's Table for embarkation lunch. It is $15 and is not the full dinner menu, but it is a great way to relax and be pampered once onboard. Do not try to fit everything in, the ship is amazing and there is so much to do.

I'm seconding this! It's a perfect way to have a nice leisurely boarding day lunch. The Windjammer (buffet) and Park Cafe get way too crazy crowded on boarding day.

I recommend checking out the quiet seating area at the aft (back) end of the ship on deck 5. Follow the walking track all the way back and you'll find some wooden loungers there. It's a nice peaceful place to enjoy the sea, especially if all the hustle and bustle of the ship is getting overwhelming.

The Wipeout cafe on the sports deck also serves cooked to order omelets (not in the buffet), and Johnny Rockets serves a complimentary breakfast as well. I can't remember if it's only on sea days though- someone will be able to clarify.

Enjoy! The Oasis and Allure are my favorite ships and I hope they become yours too. :)