Fjords excursions

Whitechapel girl

We're doing a seven day cruise to fjords in June - no excursions on cruise planner yet. Does anyone have details of sort of excursions/prices that are offered on this cruise. Thanks

If you go to the website and find your cruise you can view the typical excursions for each port, they probably won't change much. In the mobile site the excursions are at the end of 'cabins and pricing', hope this helps.

We were at Stavanger, Olden and Bergen in August this year.

At Stavanger we did a ships excursion because there didnt seem to be much you could do independently when leaving ship.A very small port with not very much to see unless you go up the mountain and then depends on the weather,the highlight is the sail in through the fjord.

At Olden right next to where the ship docks there are glacier sightseeing trips by open top bus or road train,we did the open top bus it cost about £16 each much cheaper than the ships excursions and was good value for money.(wrap up warm! and be careful walking on gravel one lady on our ship broke her leg.)

Bergen is a very nice city and we just wandered around.

In Stavanger we did the HOHO bus. In Bergen we had torrential rain all day, which rather spoilt it as it is very easy to walk around and do the funicular or cable car. In Flaam we booked tickets for the Flaam railway at the station, but now you can book online. In Olden we did the ditto train from beside the ship. Afterwards my partner walked back to the town to take some photos.

The scenery is spectacular and the weather very unpredictable. We went in June a few years ago.

I went to the Briksdal Glacier from Olden and really enjoyed it . it wasn't cheap ( I went with P and O) but it remains one of the more memorable excursions. Sometimes it's just worth paying for a different experience!

Stavanger and Bergen are both easy to DIY.

Stavanger dock is right in the centre. Plenty of walking around the town, including a 'find the Gormley statues' hunt, Google it and get the map.

If weather is bad both the Oil Museum and Sardine Canning museum are well worth a visit.

Bergen if weather is good (it rains about 200-250 days a year) off ship and do the Floyen fenicular early to avoid the crowds. Again you can wander around the town.

Flaam I highly recommend the full day Norway in a Nutshell. It will be about £100 each, but you will visit Voss and travel on both local and the Flaam railways. Sounds expensive, but you will see plenty and get a Norwegian buffet lunch.

Olden is glacier Country. Either official or DIY trips are available. Helicopter tours, RIB rides on the fjord, bus tours are also available.

Edited by Thejuggler

Stavanger and Bergen are both easy to DIY.

Stavanger dock is right in the centre. Plenty of walking around the town, including a 'find the Gormley statues' hunt, Google it and get the map.

If weather is bad both the Oil Museum and Sardine Canning museum are well worth a visit.

Bergen if weather is good (it rains about 200-250 days a year) off ship and do the Floyen fenicular early to avoid the crowds. Again you can wander around the town.

Flaam I highly recommend the full day Norway in a Nutshell. It will be about £100 each, but you will visit Voss and travel on both local and the Flaam railways. Sounds expensive, but you will see plenty and get a Norwegian buffet lunch.

Olden is glacier Country. Either official or DIY trips are available. Helicopter tours, RIB rides on the fjord, bus tours are also available.

The funicular in Bergen is great - you can book tickets online before you go and beat all the queues. If it isnt raining the views from the top are stunning! Its an easy walk from the port.

We did the Briksdal glacier too ( with PandO) and felt it was well worth it, stunning scenery, a lovely walk ( about an hour up to the glacier) or you can take the troll car. Nice refreshments too - lovely cakes and coffee! Be aware that diy in Norway can still be quite expensive. Nothing is cheap!

Agree on this. We were there on a Sunday, but it was still a very nice little place to visit. Both the museums above were open. We went to the Sardine Canning museum, which was actually very interesting with a little tea shop at the back. On the first Sunday of the month they bake sardines in the oven and you are given them off the rack from the oven! Delicious! We walked round the harbour and the far side of Stavanger in the morning, then came back to the ship for lunch (Norway being very expensive!) and then went off again and finished off in the old town which was right next to the ship.

Edited by Scriv

I'm on a July cruise on the Azura. Do I need to take Krone or are euros accepted in places such as the funicular in Bergen? ( I don't want to book in advance as if it's pouring with rain I wouldn't bother).

Edited by whoops

I'm on a July cruise on the Azura. Do I need to take Krone or are euros accepted in places such as the funicular in Bergen? ( I don't want to book in advance as if it's pouring with rain I wouldn't bother).

Not sure if they will accept Euro but the currency in the shops/markets is NK. They do take credit cards at the funicular though and we try to use our Halifax Clarity Card for as many transactions as possible for museums, public transport, cafes etc to conserve our foreign currency (so we take less with us) as the exchange rate is excellent on the card and no there are no transaction charges.

Scriv

In Stavanger we took the HOHO bus and intended paying with CC as we didn't have enough cash. The guide told us his CC machine was broken, but let us do the tour with what cash we did have and also dropped us off right beside the ship at the end of the tour. Now, that's what I call customer service!

As Norway doesn't use the Euro and aren't even in the EU you might as well try and pay in Sterling.

Any foreign transaction will be subject to an unfavourable exchange rate, so use Krone.

LondonTowner

Hey, that's great. Customer service indeed. The ticket sellers at the Sardine Canning Museum were also very flexible about the entrance rate they charged - they had a Senior Rate, which you qualified for if you were counted as a Senior Citizen at home and did not demand proof. A nice attitude obviously in Stavanger.

Edited by Scriv