Update from the Odyssey

Isklaar

I'm not sure why, but there has been a big improvement in F&B service in the last 24 hours or so. Lots more visible leadership, better table service and attention to detail. Much more like the SB service experienced in the past.

Other guests have also commented on the noticeable change on board.

Possibly too late to please some guests as we're now 14 days into this cruise.

Will comment more if any improvement is noticed in MDR food which has been my biggest disappointment up to now.

We also noticed an improvement in service a few days ago, and were told it was the result of "a management meeting" ealier that day.

The observant will have noted that several "suits" joined us in Cabo yesterday.

Apparently there has been "a lot of feedback already" about this cruise. They have been talking to guests to find out more.

Am hoping to meet one of them for a brief chat before we disembark......

We also noticed an improvement in service a few days ago, and were told it was the result of "a management meeting" ealier that day.

The observant will have noted that several "suits" joined us in Cabo yesterday.

Apparently there has been "a lot of feedback already" about this cruise. They have been talking to guests to find out more.

Am hoping to meet one of them for a brief chat before we disembark......

Nigella,thanks for the update,we have a cruise in the near future on odyssey and have been a bit disturb by the negative comments recently.I hope they can get this situation under control.We all know nothing is perfect but hope it can be what we expect from Seabourn.Please keep us informed.

Nigella,thanks for the update,we have a cruise in the near future on odyssey and have been a bit disturb by the negative comments recently.I hope they can get this situation under control.We all know nothing is perfect but hope it can be what we expect from Seabourn.Please keep us informed.

Service in most areas of the ship has definitely improved and is now pretty much as normal.

I can't say the same about food and MDR issues, unfortunately.

We're travelling in a group of four and have all been disappointed.

However, talking to other guests, some are very happy with the food.

Incidentally I have friends currently on Sojourn who have also had problems in the MDR.

I plan to write a longer post on a new thread after I get back home on Wednesday.

At least we know that management is taking these lapses seriously and addressing them quickly.

It's a very positive sign that someone has been listening and following up, especially bearing in mind that some guests are onboard for 97 days or longer.

Service in most areas of the ship has definitely improved and is now pretty much as normal.

We are aboard as well and agree the food has been inconsistent, but unlike others who have reported meat often overcooked, we've found it to be undercooked, with fish overcooked. I hasten to add that we normally order beef and lamb medium rare, but it often arrives cold center and very rare, even the lamb. I have, however, been surprised to read so many comments about unhappiness with the service. We find the service to be up to normal Seabourn standards, which is consistently excellent. That said, we generally only dine in the MDR at night, and tend to favor the same section each evening. However, we do eat breakfast everyday in the Colonnade, in no particular section, and have found their service excellent as well. We have eaten lunch in every venue (except R2) with no issues. The inconsistent food (for us) seems to be focused on dinner in the MDR.

Gunther boarded in Cabo and is staying aboard until Papeete. HD Daniel remains aboard, and he and F&B Altin have been doing an excellent job trying to manage the guests' unhappiness with the inconsistent food. I don't know how long the other suits are staying. Word from other pax is the chef is leaving in LA as well, but I've not been told that by any crew or management. That doesn't hurt my feelings, as I found him neither personable nor interested in the opinions of diners. I do agree with the previous assessment that management is listening and the issue has their attention.

Incidentally I have friends currently on Sojourn who have also had problems in the MDR.

I plan to write a longer post on a new thread after I get back home on Wednesday.

Goodness me, haven't they fixed these problems yet? Three years ago (November 2012) we travelled on Sojourn. The food and service in the MDR were terrible. Men in suits arrived from Head Office to try and fix things, but failed. Why is it that on a relatively small ship the Main Dining Room food and service cannot be fixed?

For 5 star cruising we stick to Silversea where we have not encountered these problems. Also you can have both breakfast and luncheon in the Dining Room. Every day if you wish, unlike Seabourn which is when it suits them, not when it suits you.

Goodness me, haven't they fixed these problems yet? Three years ago (November 2012) we travelled on Sojourn. The food and service in the MDR were terrible. Men in suits arrived from Head Office to try and fix things, but failed. Why is it that on a relatively small ship the Main Dining Room food and service cannot be fixed?

For 5 star cruising we stick to Silversea where we have not encountered these problems. Also you can have both breakfast and luncheon in the Dining Room. Every day if you wish, unlike Seabourn which is when it suits them, not when it suits you.

Does that include the multiple times that Silversea has failed CDC sanitation inspections?

"The Silversea cruise ship received a failing score of only 82. The inspectors determined the ship had improper medical protocols for crew members with acute gastroenteritis. The inspectors found 40 unsanitary conditions such as improper temperatures for stored food, improper sneeze guards at the ship's buffet stations, and unsanitary whirlpools. "

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/05/articles/norovirus/silver-shadow-fails-cdc-sanitation-inspection-again/

Glasshouses, stones, etc.

It also looks like Philip has not sailed with Silversea since Oct 2013

I remember that Silversea crew were storing food in their cabins when the inspectors came aboard.

We are joining Silversea's World Cruise in Lima next week (Silver Whisper). I must remember to ask to inspect the crew cabins!!!

We started cruising with Seabourn in 2012 after a few Silversea cruises, the last two of which were disappointing.

We've accrued 100+ nights with SB since then, so I'm quite familiar with the product by now and can confidently say that for us, these issues are not ones that we've encountered previously. That said, there were some let downs on SB in September, although nothing on this scale, so I have concerns that the product has deteriorated and that this cruise wasn't simply an unfortunate one-off.

I'm just writing up a more detailed review and it will be posted later today.

We started cruising with Seabourn in 2012 after a few Silversea cruises, the last two of which were disappointing.

We've accrued 100+ nights with SB since then, so I'm quite familiar with the product by now and can confidently say that for us, these issues are not ones that we've encountered previously. That said, there were some let downs on SB in September, although nothing on this scale, so I have concerns that the product has deteriorated and that this cruise wasn't simply an unfortunate one-off.

I noticed that the choice of included wines had deteriorated on Odyssey last April so I hope it isnt a trend.

• 2 weeks later...

Nigella: Did you ever get the time to write up a review? I've been looking for it, but cannot find it. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Chef Kurt was on our cruise last year on the Odyssey and I have to say I was not that impressed. That was our 5 th seabourn cruise and by far the worst for the food. Previously it had been excellent but I don't think he's up to running a kitchen of Seabourn size, and quality is suffering. He still had his fans though with some people saying it was great. Just my humble opinion.

Hope things get better for you.