Lost luggage

While there are stories of loss or damage, I guarantee most of us have never had a lost bag between the porter and the cabin. I'm not sure why you are concerned but try to relax. They have a job to do and they do it. :) The bags are placed into bins and when they are full, they are brought onto the ship via forklift. They are unloaded, sorted, and brought to your cabin as soon as possible after boarding, but it could be as late as 8 pm or so.

IF you decide to use a carry-on only, it must be small enough to fit through the scanner, similar in size to airport scanners. You cannot bring your own full sized suitcase on board yourself.

We've lost our luggage once between the cabin and the porter, and once between the porter and the taxi. Both times, they eventually found our luggage and shipped it back to us, the last time at our expense, because DH didn't fill out the claim form. I was sick and he decided he wanted me in bed more. Next time, we're going to try our utmost not to let the porter carry only two bags instead of taking the dolly with our three bags on it.

Edited by knittinggirl

I have a friend who lost expensive jewelry in her large suit case. It was her first cruise. Never lose site of anything of value or your medicines. Put it in your small suitcase and carry it with you to your room.

Another friend never got her large luggage till the end of the trip.And a

teenage boy told us at the airport he too didn't get his luggage the whole trip . But he had his swim trunks and that was all he cared about. If it had happen to his sister than the parents would of had a problem.

So yes I have heard of luggage disappearing from the port to your room.

I read somewhere when cruisers stayed in a Vancouver hotel.... they took advantage of the luggage transfer program. Sadly the luggage was bulk transferred to the wrong boat going to a different destination..... oops.

My only problem is abuse.... I find the airports puts less scratches on my luggage than cruise staff.

I may have one of the funniest lost luggage story.

We get off the ship in Ft. Lauderdale and we can't find one of our pieces of luggage...a very large rolling duffle bag. We look everywhere, even with the help of port personal and it's nowhere to be found. We file a report and leave. I was taking my elderly parents on a rode trip to Bradenton to visit my aunt so we were pretty much the last people off the ship and there wasn't much luggage left to search through.

At about 3 am in the morning I get a phone call from a Greyhound Bus driver calling from Mississippi (I have luggage tags with my cell phone number on them, a good idea). She tells me she just off-loaded a bus of cruise passengers she had picked up in Ft. Lauderdale and my piece of luggage was left standing there. She said she had no idea how it got on her bus but she felt terrible and promised to put it on a Greyhound bus back to us. About a week later our piece of luggage arrived at the Greyhound station in Las Vegas, unharmed. We were very happy.

We always laugh that our luggage had a better vacation than we did because it got to go on a cross country trip in addition to a Caribbean cruise! :D

I have cruised many times and I trust the porter to get my bag on the ship!

I also check the outside of my room once an hour to see if my luggage has arrived to my room. I think the staff on the ship are trustworthy, the other cruisers, not so much. But I have heard of very, very few problems...

The problems are with the other guests who take a bag by mistake and then don't give it back or report it. But this seldom happens and it usually is at the end of the cruise.

Our very first cruise...I was 18....

we flew from PA to Florida for the cruise, rode the bus from the airport to the cruise terminal.... there were like 3 ships there that day....out of our family of 4 my biggest suitcase was the one that went missing....4 days into our 7 day cruise we were able to get it back....here it made its way off the bus but never made it on the ship so Royal (once they found it) had it flown to the next port of call.....they were generous and allowed us to utilize free laundry services until I received my luggage...my parents also received a free bottle of wine and I received a $250 clothing allowance to spend in the ship stores (luckily we were on Explorer and there were more clothing aside from the royal tshirts)

a plus was that my 17 year old sister and I were pretty much the same size so I was also able to wear some of her things until my luggage came.....it was quite odd sending my underwear to be dry cleaned through! :eek:

I have one of those SPOT trackers for hiking (great for elderly who like to wander too). I'm now putting it in my luggage. It's kinda neat to see when the luggage carts load my stuff on the plane. It the luggage pops up some place unexpected.... I'll know where to look.

http://findmespot.ca/SPOTOFFER/lander.php?from=frontpage_banner

http://findmespot.ca/en/

Edited by xlxo

My first post!!! Break out the fireworks. Wanted to share a quick story about luggage. My first cruise was last year. Arrived to the port of Miami and the "porter" was taking our bags. He saw I had laptop style bag as one of my bags and asked "Is there a laptop in here". When I said yes he responded with "take it with you, people here have had sticky fingers as of late"

I was pretty pissed at the time but after a little time I realized he was doing me a favor.

My husband had a problem with his luggage on our last cruise, our tags came off but the Porter put new ones on but he still didn't get it. He went to the desk and they showed him one but it wasn't his. Later that night it finally arrived so not sure where it went but it was on the ship. Good thing we were overnight and didn't depart until the next afternoon. I had put most of his shirts and pants in my suitcase but suits were in the one that was late.

My first post!!! Break out the fireworks. Wanted to share a quick story about luggage. My first cruise was last year. Arrived to the port of Miami and the "porter" was taking our bags. He saw I had laptop style bag as one of my bags and asked "Is there a laptop in here". When I said yes he responded with "take it with you, people here have had sticky fingers as of late"

I was pretty pissed at the time but after a little time I realized he was doing me a favor.

Welcome to cruise critic!!

IF you decide to use a carry-on only, it must be small enough to fit through the scanner, similar in size to airport scanners. You cannot bring your own full sized suitcase on board yourself.

Not always true, I have rolled on a 25" suitcase successfully at most FL Port's except Port Canaveral. Edited by FLACRUISER99

The luggage you carry on a plane has to be small enough to fit in the overhead compartment. That is not the case on a cruise ship. I too have carried on a large bag, 24 inches tall.

If you have a gigantic bag then yes you should check that one.

I usually check one bag and carry on a smaller bag with valuables and electronics. Also medicines and things I know I cannot buy on board the ship such as my make-up.

I read somewhere when cruisers stayed in a Vancouver hotel.... they took advantage of the luggage transfer program. Sadly the luggage was bulk transferred to the wrong boat going to a different destination..... oops.

My only problem is abuse.... I find the airports puts less scratches on my luggage than cruise staff.

We've stayed a couple of times at the Pan Pacific in Vancouver, and they have a system where they pick up the suitcase from your stateroom and transfer it to the ship. Actually, it's moved to a holding area then to the ship.

Very slick!

We put several tags on each suitcase.

Not always true, I have rolled on a 25" suitcase successfully at most FL Port's except Port Canaveral.
And I have done it at Port Canaveral (and Baltimore and Port Liberty and Long Beach and San Diego and Cape Town and Papeete and Barcelona and Rome [i think you get the idea] etc). I have on occasion been told that the bag was too big for the scanner, but it never has been. IMO it is nice to unpack as soon as I get to the cabin.

Thom