Contact information for the babysitter

lorgir

I'm not new to traveling away from my kids, but I am new to cruising so I thought I'd ask what additional documentation I need to leave with the in-laws while we're gone.

Besides the obvious things we typically leave (itineraries, ID copies, etc.), is there anything cruise specific I should leave them besides Carnival's contact info and copies of our travel documents? I hate to be morbid, but if something were to happen to us is there anything I can leave that will make things easier just in case?

Also, make sure you get it notarized. When I was in 4 grade, my parents were in Vegas and I got bit by a dog in the face. Not one hospital would stitch me up without the note signed by a notary. Good thing I wasn't bleeding heavily! :rolleyes: But, it was an 8 stitch bite that our family doctor finally did!

Also, make sure you get it notarized. When I was in 4 grade, my parents were in Vegas and I got bit by a dog in the face. Not one hospital would stitch me up without the note signed by a notary. They went every year and always left a note. After this incident we learned it needed to be notarized too. Good thing I wasn't bleeding heavily! :rolleyes: But, it was an 8 stitch bite that our family doctor finally did!

Also, make sure you get it notarized. When I was in 4 grade, my parents were in Vegas and I got bit by a dog in the face. Not one hospital would stitch me up without the note signed by a notary. They went every year and always left a note. After this incident we learned it needed to be notarized too. Good thing I wasn't bleeding heavily! :rolleyes: But, it was an 8 stitch bite that our family doctor finally did!

That's crazy!! My MIL is a nurse, so that's a plus. I always give her a note of permission. I've never thought to notarize it. :confused:

Leave telephone number for cruise line headquarters and from them get the number to call the ship. The ship should only be called for true emergency as it isn't always easy to get messages to guests if you are not in your cabin if a call comes in. Be sure they have your cabin number and name of ship.

Also take a WiFi account and check your e-mail regularly.

Leave a copy of your passports at home and credit cards you will be using along with provided telephone numbers you'll find on the back of your cards. In case of loss, it will be easier to cancel them if you have the information.

Edited by sail7seas

Leave telephone number for cruise line headquarters and from them get the number to call the ship. The ship should only be called for true emergency as it isn't always easy to get messages to guests if you are not in your cabin if a call comes in. Be sure they have your cabin number and name of ship.

Also take a WiFi account and check your e-mail regularly.

Leave a copy of your passports at home and credit cards you will be using along with provided telephone numbers you'll find on the back of your cards. In case of loss, it will be easier to cancel them if you have the information.

Thanks. Thanks to you, I figured out you CAN have a little access to home. That'll help. I had no idea there were wireless packages on board.

This is kind of off the wall but last time out our A/C went on the fritz. I had left a list of emergency repair folks I trust with our college aged kids and they were able to get it fixed quickly. In Texas A/C is non-negotiable. I paid the guy when we returned.

That's great advice. I never thought to leave repair numbers and the like. I have someone house sitting and this will be helpful.

Well, sail7seas gave you the advise I was going to give you. So, having read all the prior responses, I'll add this, if you are at a port and need to fly home, you will need a passport. Yes, you can cruise with this a birth certificate and photo ID. But if you are going to fly, you'll need a passport (or really strong arms). However, if you are at sea, unless you are a really strong swimmer, you are stuck until the next port.

As for phone use, the last ship I was on, because of my loyalty status, I could use the ship to shore phone at a $2.00 per minute discount. You can imagine how expensive it really is if $2.00 per minute is a discount. I think the rates are somewhere between $6.00 and $12.00 per minute. So the call better be for something a little bit more serious than a broken fingernail.

Cell phones can be used on a ship, but they are still a little more expensive than normal (I'm not sure of the rate - but it is less than ship to shore). However, once you are on shore, you can use a cell phone if it is set up for international calling and even better if you have an international plan.

You can also use the ship's computers to send an receive messages. Forget Skype, the ship's computers run at dial up speeds (except for a few Royal Caribbean ships that have broadband speeds and can support Skype). The computer time is also expensive (compared to home use). Computer time runs 50¢ to 75¢ per minute unless you buy a computer use package.

Of course if you have a satellite phone you're all set.

Edited by Cuizer2

Thanks Cuizer2! We do have passports, but thanks. I would have never thought of that. I appreciate the time you have all taken to help me out. I feel much better.

I know lots of people leave their families at home and everything is OK. I feel much better knowing that we can do FB messaging as some form of communication since I can get the social media package. It's really not necessary to speak to my kids, but I know my little guy would like to hear my voice a few times throughout the cruise. We're not huge drinkers, so I guess I'll spend that money on an occasional timed, short and sweet good night phone call. :)

As for phone use, the last ship I was on, because of my loyalty status, I could use the ship to shore phone at a $2.00 per minute discount. You can imagine how expensive it really is if $2.00 per minute is a discount. I think the rates are somewhere between $6.00 and $12.00 per minute. So the call better be for something a little bit more serious than a broken fingernail.

On Carnival, ship-to-shore calls for everyone, regardless of status, is $1.99/minute.

You can also use the ship's computers to send an receive messages. Forget Skype, the ship's computers run at dial up speeds (except for a few Royal Caribbean ships that have broadband speeds and can support Skype). The computer time is also expensive (compared to home use). Computer time runs 50¢ to 75¢ per minute unless you buy a computer use package.

Carnival has upgraded their Internet access and all but a couple of their ships have the new plans where you can't pay by the minute at all.

Their Social Plan is $5/day and allows access to certain Web sites - Facebook and Twitter are the big ones.

Their Value Plan is $16/day and allows access to most sites. No Skyping or music streaming.

Their Premium Plan is $25/day and allows Skype and music streaming and promises much faster speeds than the Value Plan.

You can view more details at https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1152/kw/Internet/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ1MTUwMDgwMi9zaWQvWFh5MUNoRm0=

I purchased 24 hours of their Value Plan on my last cruise earlier this month and found the speed OK (except for the ping, which was way up there) - early DSL speeds, roughly. Access varied by location and time of day, as expected.

On Carnival, ship-to-shore calls for everyone, regardless of status, is $1.99/minute.

Carnival has upgraded their Internet access and all but a couple of their ships have the new plans where you can't pay by the minute at all.

Their Social Plan is $5/day and allows access to certain Web sites - Facebook and Twitter are the big ones.

Their Value Plan is $16/day and allows access to most sites. No Skyping or music streaming.

Their Premium Plan is $25/day and allows Skype and music streaming and promises much faster speeds than the Value Plan.

You can view more details at https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1152/kw/Internet/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ1MTUwMDgwMi9zaWQvWFh5MUNoRm0=

I purchased 24 hours of their Value Plan on my last cruise earlier this month and found the speed OK (except for the ping, which was way up there) - early DSL speeds, roughly. Access varied by location and time of day, as expected.

Thanks for the information. :)