Are Gala Nights just about dinner?

bobpatj

Thank you Roger. It looks like there were some local specials... I don't recall any on the eastern Med cruise we did in Sept/Oct but my memory isn't reliable ;). But I always found something to eat, that I know! m--

When you say nothing, are you referring to the dress code only, or were there NO other events/entertainment related to a gala night theme?

If your avatar a Hatteras LRC?

Well, yes I was mainly referring to the dinner. If there were any special "Gala" events I was unaware of them.

Yes that is a Hatteras 48LRC "Serendipity" which we called home 2004-2006.:)

Hi

leaving on the Zuiderdam on Jan 15 to Panama canal almost same cruise I took a few years ago. they had a black and white ball. Does anyone know If they still have the ball on this cruise.

Thank You

Mary

I was on the Zuiderdam just this December and there was no organized ball on either gala night. We just used the first gala night to take our own family photos by all the Christmas decor in the atrium area.

Thank you for posting the menus! This is so much better than what we had on gala nights on Veendam in September. Looks like more choices that we had.

Thank you for posting the menus! This is so much better than what we had on gala nights on Veendam in September. Looks like more choices that we had.

The "longer" cruises have more choices generally. The 7 day cruise still have a short list of choices.

Oh, I see. So gala nights are more gala (galaier?) on longer cruises? :rolleyes: Dare I hope the last night's menu is better, too?

I know, it's pretty dumb eh? I generally do more back to back 7 day cruises but my next cruise is a 15 day Panama cruise. I'm expecting the food to be galaier :D. For the price of it I'm hoping they will be peeling grapes and feeding them to me ;).

We just did the Holiday cruise from Dec. 20-27 on the Veendam .

We had early seating for,dinner. Everyone in our group of 4 dressed up for,both Gala nights. No tuxs for,the men but suit jackets and ties and sparkles for,the ladies. That was the norm for,our area of,the dining room! And lots of children and young people...all were dressed very well...especially the little girl in her princess dress! Granted this was over Christmas and maybe everyone wanted to dress up more but even around the ship,after dinner we saw very few in jeans and t-shirts. I was also amazed at how many families were lined up for formal photos! A great family remembrance from the cruise! Food was very good...but anything I don't have to prepare, serve and do dishes from is great as far as I am concerned.

There had to be over 100 kids/young people aboard and I was impressed with how well they all behaved on the ship! HAL did a wonderful job with Santa's arrival and the giving of presents to all of,them!

Sure there have been changes on HAL but I just still consider it a privilege to be able to cruise and enjoy the experience. The crew was awesome as they dealt extra work due to a norovirus outbreak. They were always smiling and helpful and wanted our vacation to be memorable!

Happy new year and may all future cruises wherever they may take us be safe, enjoyable and memorable!

We just came off a one week cruise (Dec 21 - Dec 28) on the Zuiderdam. It was, I am sad to say one of the worst HAL cruises we have ever been on. "Gala nite" meant nothing, I mean no dress code what-so-ever was enforced in the Vista Dining room that night. There were everything from Tux's to Jeans and T-shirts, with sandals I might add. I would say fewer than half of the men even had a tie on. The was no dress code being enforced on the Zuiderdam last week.

Also, while I have been told that the 1900 figure on guest capacity is based upon double cabin occupancy, because of the Xmas week period there were over 2100 aboard. Most children I have ever seen on any HAL cruise, I would guess 200-300 children and teens. If you went up to the Lido for the later continental breakfast, there was nothing left! It looked like a group of army ants had just passes thru. Not a Danish, doughnut or anything left. Couldn't even get an orange juice. Place was absolutely picked clean!

I am hoping that this was an abnormality for HAL due to the timing of the cruise, in fact first seven day HAL we have been on in over 10 years. We are sailing again on the 7th of Feb for a two week on the Veendam and I hope things might return to normal.

For what it's worth, I was on the same ship, exactly one cruise before (Dec 11-21). I could count the total number of kids on two hands. About 90% of men wore ties on gala nights. Guess timing and itinerary do matter!

We just came off a one week cruise (Dec 21 - Dec 28) on the Zuiderdam. It was, I am sad to say one of the worst HAL cruises we have ever been on. "Gala nite" meant nothing, I mean no dress code what-so-ever was enforced in the Vista Dining room that night. There were everything from Tux's to Jeans and T-shirts, with sandals I might add. I would say fewer than half of the men even had a tie on. The was no dress code being enforced on the Zuiderdam last week.

Also, while I have been told that the 1900 figure on guest capacity is based upon double cabin occupancy, because of the Xmas week period there were over 2100 aboard. Most children I have ever seen on any HAL cruise, I would guess 200-300 children and teens. If you went up to the Lido for the later continental breakfast, there was nothing left! It looked like a group of army ants had just passes thru. Not a Danish, doughnut or anything left. Couldn't even get an orange juice. Place was absolutely picked clean!

I am hoping that this was an abnormality for HAL due to the timing of the cruise, in fact first seven day HAL we have been on in over 10 years. We are sailing again on the 7th of Feb for a two week on the Veendam and I hope things might return to normal.

First Mr. Scrooge, what did you expect on a Christmas cruise? Kids and Christmas go together. Having been on one for my parents 50th with the whole famn damily, although it was a lot busier aboard, we had a ball. By the way, you can sit down in the MDR at for breakfast, and if you're there more than 1 minute without being offered coffee, juice, and pastries, I'll buy you a drink.

I do think you're correct in that longer cruises tend to have more formal treatment of Gala Nights. You have an older demographic and a much higher percentage of experienced cruisers. I personally hate the "dumbing down" of the dress code, but I refuse to let it affect my enjoyment of our time aboard. I keep hoping that our putting on the Ritz will inspire others to keep up the tradition.

There doesn't seem much point in having to dress up if nothing additional happens. I don't mind too much but we find it a pain with the packing as we are usually away for six weeks or so and we have a 20kg luggage allowance on our flights.

We rarely dress up at home, in Sydney work dress can be fairly formal but leisure dress is very casual. Now retired, we dress up less and less.

Reading the menus has inspired me to get back on my diet. But who would eat supper? I suppose if you had missed dinner for some reason.

Imagine that...sandals in the MDR.

I cannot imagine how awful that must have been for you. Perhaps if you complain to HAL they will give you an OBC or a bottle of that wonderful house wine on your next cruise.

The 'wine' will go well with your comments.

Edited by iancal

First Mr. Scrooge, what did you expect on a Christmas cruise? Kids and Christmas go together. Having been on one for my parents 50th with the whole famn damily, although it was a lot busier aboard, we had a ball. By the way, you can sit down in the MDR at for breakfast, and if you're there more than 1 minute without being offered coffee, juice, and pastries, I'll buy you a drink.

I do think you're correct in that longer cruises tend to have more formal treatment of Gala Nights. You have an older demographic and a much higher percentage of experienced cruisers. I personally hate the "dumbing down" of the dress code, but I refuse to let it affect my enjoyment of our time aboard. I keep hoping that our putting on the Ritz will inspire others to keep up the tradition.

There is no need to call someone mr. Scrooge for saying what happened on their cruise. The MDR only stays open for breakfast until 9 or 9:30 so it would be completely useless to go there after that. Second I eat breakfast there pretty much every morning on a cruise. I hope you are on my cruise so I can get that free drink. Many times there is a wait to get any liquids. I rarely eat the pastry and some days it's not even offered even after asking a few times. This has been my experience whether it has happened to anyone else or not. If the lido is still serving breakfast the stations should not be picked clean. There is no way to explain that away, Christmas or not.

The Scrooge remark was meant to be a harmless disagreement with what seemed to be Jalex 63's disdain for having kids on a Christmas cruise. As far as the ship being near capacity, so are Disney World and other family oriented resorts when kids are out of school.

I also agreed with some of Jalex63's points, and agree with you, cruz chic, regarding there being no excuse for the Lido being picked clean. I don't often eat there, but have noticed choices seemed to be "thin" when they start switching over to the next meal.

Happy New Year cruz chic. I'm on the Oo'dam in 2 weeks if you want that drink. ;)

Edited by blizzardboy

Pity this is not retroactive, because I'd be collecting drinks.:D One reason we no longer have breakfast in the MDR is because we've had very slow service. I recall one of the WC posts (or perhaps another long cruise) reported leaving the MDR without breakfast because they sat and waited a long time with no service at all. We've been fortunate in having the option of the PG for breakfast on most recent cruises, and if not there, we do room service.

I have the PG option, but the MDR seems much brighter for breakfast by the windows. I make it a point to greet the Maitre D' and other staff every morning and I always seem to get prompt, attentive service. There have been exceptions over the years, but thankfully infrequent. The fact that I've already been to the NL for coffee and other goodies a couple hours earlier may make me easier to please.

Lizzie, I'm always good for a drink! My offer to cruz chic is pretty much an open offer to all I've abused on CC.

Edited by blizzardboy

I have the PG option, but the MDR seems much brighter for breakfast by the windows. I make it a point to greet the Maitre D' and other staff every morning and I always seem to get prompt, attentive service. There have been exceptions over the years, but thankfully infrequent. The fact that I've already been to the NL for coffee and other goodies a couple hours earlier may make me easier to please.

Lizzie, I'm always good for a drink! My offer to cruz chic is pretty much an open offer to all I've abused on CC.

Happy new year.

There is really no comparison between the pg and the MDR in the morning. I've rarely had bad or slow service in the pinnacle. The MDR can be painfully slow in the morning, especially coffee. I've taken to getting mine from the exploration cafe because I hate waiting forever for coffee.

If I win the lotto I'll see you on the Oosterdam :).