warehouse club expands travel services to Canada

bebe08

In Canada they've already dropped AMEX. I think it gets dropped in the US in April?

That is correct. I think their new card is going to be a Citi Card, but the warehouse has not published details yet, other than to say There will be incentives to get the new card.

I did a mock booking and its in the terms and conditions that Visa and MasterCard are the only accepted form of payment. Doesn't make any sense seeing as they don't process the payment.

Hmm, that is interesting and must be unique to Canada. In the US, they will take any credit card. (They even take DH Discover, which is a bit unusual).

I didn't realize they don't give the 2% back but I guess that would be sort of a double credit. Still not enough to discourage our using them but good to know when comparing bottom line prices.

ML

Hmm, that is interesting and must be unique to Canada. In the US, they will take any credit card. (They even take DH Discover, which is a bit unusual).

I didn't realize they don't give the 2% back but I guess that would be sort of a double credit. Still not enough to discourage our using them but good to know when comparing bottom line prices.

ML

Definitely unique to Canada because the US hasn't stopped taking Amex until April. Will be interesting to see if you can still use it for travel after that

Definitely unique to Canada because the US hasn't stopped taking Amex until April. Will be interesting to see if you can still use it for travel after that

Yes, we're all waiting anxiously to find out what the incentives will be for the new Costco branded Citi Visa card :-) I wonder if they will drop AMEX cards in the US after April. I haven't heard that but I have been told our Costco AMEX card won't be usable after April 1. And I am being bombarded by emails about getting a new AMEX card!

Just a quick note--we are talking about the Costco credit card, not all credit cards. It seemed to me some of the posts above were missing that point but I could have just read them wrong. If the US policy stays the same, you would still be able to use any credit card, and maybe keep other benefits?

ML

We've been happy with our warehouse club for years after a friend mentioned using it. We've always had fast answers to any issues - they seem to have their own contact supporting their needs at X and maybe at other cruise lines.

They give a good OBC which is refunded by the ship to your credit card if you don't spend it during the cruise. They also have some specialty cruises they promote on X and other lines with extra events or perks onboard, which look like they'd be fun.

I know of friends who booked the same sailing through an online agency getting more OBC than we did, but I have a higher comfort level in dealing with my warehouse - they have a physical presence and a strong customer satisfaction reputation.

We also use their travel insurance supplier and have been very satisfied.

Ditto what Chris writes about booking through the warehouse site. I've used the online TA that gives more OBC, but I'm seriously thinking about switching to the warehouse site due to its excellent reputation and emphasis on customer satisfaction.

Yes in the end, the no fee for calculation means something to me in the new environment where there is a constant renegotiation and benefit change.

Also, they do know they represent a company that does insist on fair treatment of customers.

Edited by hulamoon

Good point on the fact they no longer take AMEX. I hadn't thought of that. Our warehouse club stopped taking Amex a while back. We now use Mastercard at the warehouse. We didn't get the new credit card they were flogging (I believe it is the Capital One Mastercard) as they will take any Mastercard and we already had one. I don't think they take Visa.

Our Amex card has built in travel insurance (our Mastercard does not) so will lose that benefit if we don't book with Amex. I will be looking into a few things to see what makes the most sense cost-wise:

1) the cost of insurance through the warehouse club

2) switching to a different Mastercard that has built in travel insurance (if that even exists).

We pay an annual fee of $100 for the Amex, which pays for itself with the built in insurance as we typically travel a few times a year. Maybe there is a better deal out there on a Mastercard with built-in insurance.

Definitely a first world problem!

Happy New Year

Good point on the fact they no longer take AMEX. I hadn't thought of that. Our warehouse club stopped taking Amex a while back. We now use Mastercard at the warehouse. We didn't get the new credit card they were flogging (I believe it is the Capital One Mastercard) as they will take any Mastercard and we already had one. I don't think they take Visa.

Our Amex card has built in travel insurance (our Mastercard does not) so will lose that benefit if we don't book with Amex. I will be looking into a few things to see what makes the most sense cost-wise:

1) the cost of insurance through the warehouse club

2) switching to a different Mastercard that has built in travel insurance (if that even exists).

We pay an annual fee of $100 for the Amex, which pays for itself with the built in insurance as we typically travel a few times a year. Maybe there is a better deal out there on a Mastercard with built-in insurance.

Definitely a first world problem!

Happy New Year

LOL--first world problem indeed! It does sound like Canadian credit cards come with better benefits than US cards. I don't know of any US Cards that provide travel insurance.

maybe the new warehouse US Visa card will have that? I can hope, right?

happy New Year everyone

ML

As a Canadian member I was able to book a Carnival cruise back in 2009 on their American site knowing I would be paying in US dollars. I just used my membership #. I had no problems with them. Now they have it showing on their Canadian site so prices are in Can$. The credit card change is an issue for me also. My visa gold card is what I use because it has the free travel insurance. Don't think they will accept it so will keep with my present TA.

I don't know of any US Cards that provide travel insurance.

Many US cards provide insurance. We use Chase Sapphire Preferred, which provides great travel insurance, and the entire trip doesn't even have to be booked on the CSP card. I don't think there's an age limit. Be sure to read the fine print though.

Betsy

Edited by BBsails

Many US cards provide insurance. We use Chase Sapphire Preferred, which provides great travel insurance, and the entire trip doesn't even have to be booked on the CSP card. I don't think there's an age limit. Be sure to read the fine print though.

Betsy

Wow--really? I am going to start looking at credit card offers more closely! My current Visa has some protection but mostly for rental cars. I think I have been missing other opportunities--thanks for letting us know!

ML