Alaska Books for purchase before cruising

cafelovercanada

I am interested in purchasing John Upton's Alaska Cruise Companion prior to our cruise next June. Does anyone know where I can buy a copy in Canada? Also, how do the following books compare to the Alaska Cruise Companion (read that this book is quite informative and helpful in planning a trip to Alaska)

Ann Vipond - Alaska by Cruiseship and Fodor's Alaska Ports of Call.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Cruising to Alaska next June - can hardly wait!!!

I have both Anne Vipond's Alaska book and Joe Upton's book. Both can be ordered from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-Handbook-Mile---Mile/dp/0979491576/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1451515668&sr=1-2&keywords=Alaska+cruise+companion. I'm not a fan of the "ports of call" books, although Alaska By Cruise Ship does cover the ports.

The map in Joe Upton's book is great! Did not use Anne Vipond's book although we purchased it --Frommers or others are better. Check out second hand book stores or libraries to get an idea before you purchase.

Edited by Alaskanb

While most of us realize that communities in Alaska have a websites with visitor information, some of our newspapers also have visitor information guides. For example, here in Fairbanks our Fairbanks Daily-News Miner (http://www.newsminer.com) publishes a visitor guide for the interior of the state each spring; their "Guide to Interior Alaska" can be found on their website under special sections. The Juneau Empire, which is the newspaper in our capital city, also has a guide available on their website (http://www.juneauempire.com); it is called the "Juneau Travel Planner."

I have owned both and both served different purposes. I liked Anne Vipod's book to prepare for the cruise and liked John Upton's book to bring along the cruise.

There is another one that is good - it is by Rachel Cartwright and is called Alaska Cruise Companion: A Naturalists Guide to Alaska's Inside Passage . This is close to John Upton's - you would only need one or the other.

Edited by Coral

While most of us realize that communities in Alaska have a websites with visitor information, some of our newspapers also have visitor information guides. For example, here in Fairbanks our Fairbanks Daily-News Miner (http://www.newsminer.com) publishes a visitor guide for the interior of the state each spring; their "Guide to Interior Alaska" can be found on their website under special sections. The Juneau Empire, which is the newspaper in our capital city, also has a guide available on their website (http://www.juneauempire.com); it is called the "Juneau Travel Planner."

Thanks Northern Aurora! I never would have thought of accessing local newspapers - thank you!!!

I am interested in purchasing John Upton's Alaska Cruise Companion prior to our cruise next June. Does anyone know where I can buy a copy in Canada? Also, how do the following books compare to the Alaska Cruise Companion (read that this book is quite informative and helpful in planning a trip to Alaska)

Ann Vipond - Alaska by Cruiseship and Fodor's Alaska Ports of Call.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Cruising to Alaska next June - can hardly wait!!!

Hi, have you bought "Inside Passage Walking Tours" by Julianne Chase Patton? The book explores Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway & Sitka. It has a lot of info, has a map of the towns & etc. My sister gave me the book last Christmas, and it can fit in your purse, so in Sept when I went to Alaska, took the book with me, in the ports and I forgot I had it with me!!:eek: Well, a couple of months ago, was talked into going to Alaska again next June, so will be takin it with me. What ship will you be on and when in June will you be going? Am planning to be on Holland America, Nieuw Amsterdam, on the roundtrip out of Vancouver, the week of June 18th.

Edited by gottagoacruzn

Hi, have you bought "Inside Passage Walking Tours" by Julianne Chase Patton? The book explores Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway & Sitka. It has a lot of info, has a map of the towns & etc. My sister gave me the book last Christmas, and it can fit in your purse, so in Sept when I went to Alaska, took the book with me, in the ports and I forgot I had it with me!!:eek: Well, a couple of months ago, was talked into going to Alaska again next June, so will be takin it with me. What ship will you be on and when in June will you be going? Am planning to be on Holland America, Nieuw Amsterdam, on the roundtrip out of Vancouver, the week of June 18th.

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll be sure to look up that book! We're travelling on Princess the week of June 11 just missing you and your sister! Happy planning!

• 2 months later...
I got "The Alaska Cruise Handbook" (Joe Upton) from amazon.ca in Canada.

It's great -- although someone should fire his editor -- it's littered with spelling and grammar mistakes.

Could someone please tell me if John Upton's book "Alaska Cruise handbook" better than Rachel Cartwright's 'Alaska Cruise companion"?

http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-Companion-Naturalists-Alaskas/dp/1889467367/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433111063&sr=1-1&keywords=Rachel+Cartwright+++The+Alaska+Cruise+Companion

http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-Handbook-Mile-Mile/dp/0979491576/ref=pd_cp_14_1/186-5644134-1729322?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ETQVMG57X6JCSWBB560

The map in Joe Upton's book is great! Did not use Anne Vipond's book although we purchased it --Frommers or others are better. Check out second hand book stores or libraries to get an idea before you purchase.

I paid $20 for Anne Vipond's book at Barnes and Noble, and it really didn't tell me anything I haven't already read on CC. There is some history stuff in the book that I didn't find relevant for what I wanted from the book. I feel like most info you can find for free on here and other sites.

I paid $20 for Anne Vipond's book at Barnes and Noble, and it really didn't tell me anything I haven't already read on CC. There is some history stuff in the book that I didn't find relevant for what I wanted from the book. I feel like most info you can find for free on here and other sites.

Hi turtle

Have you read either of the ones mentioned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a more organized way of getting information and gives people a good foundation. It makes the info on CC make more sense, if that makes sense. They can use CC to grow and decide what their interests are.

A lot of people who have only done the Caribbean are overwhelmed when they start researching Alaska (me included during my first cruise) as it is an entirely different type of cruise.

Hi turtle

Have you read either of the ones mentioned?

I read Cruising Alaksa by Larry Ludmer a few years ago when I first visited Alaska, and I really enjoyed that one. I don't remember any of the details, but I do remember liking it. I might bust it back out, but unfortunately it's a digital book. I am an avid reader, and I appreciate the convenience of digital books, but certain books I do like to have in actual book form, such as travel books 😊

My understanding is that Rachel Cartwright's book is only available through Princess cruises -- in 2012 I saw it in the one of the onboard shops and it is only available as a used book on Amazon. I browsed through it and decided I already had the information that was in there.

I like the Eyewitness books to give me an overview of a new place. Joe Upton's map and associated information is super --we had the map on our cabin wall. Much depends on what you want a guide for...

Edited by Alaskanb

Princess used to use Joe Upton and then now use Rachel Cartwright. I have a Joe Upton book and looked at Rachel's book. They both look good. There was a transition year when John Upton's books started including far more color pictures (7 or 8 years ago). So if you are ordering John Upton's books - make sure you get a later version. Rachel's book was very colorful when I saw it with large pictures which helps me when reading a travel book.

You would probably be happy with either.

Edited by Coral

Thank you all for your help. I am leaning towards Upton's book because of the map and mile by mile details.

Carol does Rachel's book have the detailed large scale map or is that only with Joe Upton's book, do you know?