Best Intinerary?

scorchestra

Which is the best best Itinerary? Any pro's or con's? Recommendations are appreciated.

Holland America

Vancouver

Inside Passage

Tracy Arm Inlet

Juneau

Skagway

Glacier Bay

Ketchikan

Inside Passage

Vancouver

Celebrity

Vancouver

Inside Passage

Icy Strait

Hubbard Glacier

Juneau

Ketchikan

Inside Passage

Vancouver

Well, there is no "best" since "best" is relative and subjective. There are always pros and cons to each itinerary and each person has their own preferences too.

Personally I love Glacier Bay so that would be a positive for me. Often you can't get close to Hubbard Glacier, so the Celebrity cruise might not have any glacier days after all (just depends on ice conditions and captain's desire on the day of the glacier sailing). I like Holland America's unobstructed forward viewing areas that are not on Celebrity ships. So *for me* the HAL itinerary would win. But everyone is different.

I would tend towards Holland America . Icy Point doesn't have a lot going for it especially if the weather is cloudy and damp.

Becareful of Tracy Arm with HAL. Is it a full cruise or just a short stop for people to transfer a tour boat.

Edited by Kamloops50

you should also compare the port times for each itinerary. Are you in port long enough for planned activities?

7am - 1:30pm doesn't work if you have a busy day planned.

Celebrity doesn't stop in Skagway?

For current smoking policy, call HAL's toll free number.

Which is the best best Itinerary? Any pro's or con's? Recommendations are appreciated.

Holland America

Vancouver

Inside Passage

Tracy Arm Inlet

Juneau

Skagway

Glacier Bay

Ketchikan

Inside Passage

Vancouver

Celebrity

Vancouver

Inside Passage

Icy Strait

Hubbard Glacier

Juneau

Ketchikan

Inside Passage

Vancouver

There is no best. What I suggest, is you take a look at the differences. Have you determined what you would do in each port? What you want to see and do? Do you have an interest in Hoonah? Tracy Arm- which does require you to purchase the add on ship tour- if it's listed as a service stop? Both could be great choices for you.

Your question about smoking on Holland America balconies. Yes, they do allow smoking on balconies and that can be miserable for non-smokers. You may be lucky and not have smokers nearby. I much prefer Holland America itineraries but cannot cruise with them because of their smoking policy.

Your question about smoking on Holland America balconies. Yes, they do allow smoking on balconies and that can be miserable for non-smokers. You may be lucky and not have smokers nearby. I much prefer Holland America itineraries but cannot cruise with them because of their smoking policy.

Ditto for us ...we stay with Princess.

I am booked on the Legend for May 16th (the only sailing for the season for 8 days and this itinerary). I booked for the itinerary alone. Love Glacier bay and Tracy Arm being full days. Tracy Arm is one of my favorites. Especially mid May should have lots of waterfalls from the snow melt. Even if you don't get close to the glacier the scenery is spectacular. This cruise is nice since spreads out the days in port and with it being 8 days gives you an extra day at sea. IMO Carnival is a little more casual than the others. Also you have a long day in Skagway if you wanted to rent a car and explore. Good Luck with making your choice.

Thanks for your response! I may very well see you on May 16th. I am starting to lean towards that. I wish it would return to Vancouver and not Seattle, so it is not perfect, but the price it a lot lower than the other Vancouver options I had asked about.

If you were looking for 2017 cruises and have 2 weeks, I really like NCL Sun's May 15-29, 2017 14-night sailing from San Francisco to Vancouver: https://www.ncl.com/cruises/14-day-ultimate-alaska-from-san-francisco-SUN14SFOASTKTNJNUSGYICYSITPRRNNOVAN?numberOfGuests=4294915774&ships=4294963203&state=null&sailmonths=4294905725&destinations=4294934553&itineraryCode=SUN14SFOASTKTNJNUSGYICYSITPRRNNOVAN. I have never sailed with NCL, but I'm willing to give them a try for this itinerary at a great price. :)

I love HAL's 14-night round trip from Seattle, especially for its stops in Anchorage, Homer, and Kodiak: http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=A6L14S&fromSearchVacation=true&destList=cruises,A&dateCode=5_2016&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=&voyageCode=M655. Unfortunately, the ship no longer sails one way east of Vancouver Island. In 2017 - the Amsterdam does this itinerary.

Just wanted to add that of the cruises you are considering - the May 16, 2016 Carnival Legend itinerary looks like a winner. You get full days in the 3 ports, plus 2 glacier sailing days: http://www.carnival.com/itinerary-classic/8-day-glacier-bay-cruise/vancouver/legend/8-days/glb/?numGuests=2&destination=alaska&dest=A&datFrom=052016&datTo=052017

Edited by NancyIL

Thank you, Nancy! That is the feedback I was looking for. It looked like the best itinerary, but not knowing Alaska, I was not sure. It is so much cheaper than HAL and Celebrity that I'm not sure if I'm missing something. All the videos and photos I've seen of the Carnival Legend look very nice.

The trip is for my spouse and our teenage son. The 3 of us could sail with a balcony room for about $3,500, whereas HAL is about 1K more and Celebrity is 2K more, quite a difference. Are they really that much better?

I'm "shamefully" trying to also squeeze in a Hawaii vacation this year, so I'm trying to get the best rates knowing that we'll take at least 3 of the excursions and they are, as you know, quite pricey.

I was hoping to spend some time in Vancouver because 22 years ago we spent our honeymoon there. We have an event on the 15th, so we would have to fly right in then on the ship. We can't leave earlier. : (

Thank you, Nancy! That is the feedback I was looking for. It looked like the best itinerary, but not knowing Alaska, I was not sure. It is so much cheaper than HAL and Celebrity that I'm not sure if I'm missing something. All the videos and photos I've seen of the Carnival Legend look very nice.

The trip is for my spouse and our teenage son. The 3 of us could sail with a balcony room for about $3,500, whereas HAL is about 1K more and Celebrity is 2K more, quite a difference. Are they really that much better?

I'm "shamefully" trying to also squeeze in a Hawaii vacation this year, so I'm trying to get the best rates knowing that we'll take at least 3 of the excursions and they are, as you know, quite pricey.

I was hoping to spend some time in Vancouver because 22 years ago we spent our honeymoon there. We have an event on the 15th, so we would have to fly right in then on the ship. We can't leave earlier. : (

The concern about Seattle/Vancouver is minor. It is simple to get between the two, which I do, several times every year. There is Bolt Bus, Greyhound, Amtrak, Quick Shuttle, rental cars. I have used them all. Also the cruise line may offer a transfer. But it is simple- allow 4 hours.

I go to Hawaii every year, and indeed a great destination. What you can find- especially with a family is VERY cheap touring. Hawaii unlike Alaska, Hawaii has so much that is simply- DRIVE UP. :) Get out of the car, look around, get back in go someplace else. ;) There are excellent guide books available, the Revealed books on each Island- superb.

The Hawaii board is also very informative and so is trip advisor. The NCL POA cruise is a winner.

The last two years, I have taken the Carnival itinerary you are considering. With your money saving priority, it's a considerable sum.

I have never cruised with Carnival, but I would do so for the right itinerary. As cruise lines go - Carnival is on the budget end, whereas HAL and Celebrity are considered by many to be "premium" cruise lines. In between are NCL and Royal Caribbean, with a number of luxury lines on the high end of the spectrum. Disney is sometimes priced like a luxury cruise line, but would also be considered premium.

For me - itinerary is the most important factor in choosing an Alaskan cruise, followed closely by price, and then ship. If not for the fact that I have enough going on this year, and that I want to go to Alaska in 2017 (probably on the 14-night NCL Sun) - I'd seriously consider that Legend cruise, too!

If you have vacation time left at the end of the cruise - you could still spend time in Vancouver. You could spend a day or two in Seattle, take the ferry to Victoria for a few days, then the ferry to Vancouver. There's also Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver, which is supposed to be very scenic, as well as bus or rental car.

Nancy,

We've been going Hawaii for 11 years, every year, we love it and I am a DE for Hawaii on TA : )

What do you think of this itinerary ? http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action May 25 round trip from Vancouver. The date is better for us. I was just afraid of the smoking on the balconies on HAL.

I have never cruised with Carnival, but I would do so for the right itinerary. As cruise lines go - Carnival is on the budget end, whereas HAL and Celebrity are considered by many to be "premium" cruise lines. In between are NCL and Royal Caribbean, with a number of luxury lines on the high end of the spectrum. Disney is sometimes priced like a luxury cruise line, but would also be considered premium.

I do not find that many differences between the major cruise lines and far more similarities.

I have sailed all these line within the last 1 1/2 years with the exception of Celebrity. The "labels" listed above have some basis in myth. Claiming "budget end" how??? Especially with never even sailing on it. Some Princess food, in my opinion is what I consider "budget" end, some of the cabins on NCL are "budget" end for me, the limited dinner buffet on HAL is a "budget end" in my opinion. The list can go on and on.

Any of these cruise ships will offer you a great cruise- if it meets your touring priority. So, key is to know yourself and what you want from your trip.

I do not find that many differences between the major cruise lines and far more similarities.

I have sailed all these line within the last 1 1/2 years with the exception of Celebrity. The "labels" listed above have some basis in myth. Claiming "budget end" how??? Especially with never even sailing on it. Some Princess food, in my opinion is what I consider "budget" end, some of the cabins on NCL are "budget" end for me, the limited dinner buffet on HAL is a "budget end" in my opinion. The list can go on and on.

Any of these cruise ships will offer you a great cruise- if it meets your touring priority. So, key is to know yourself and what you want from your trip.

Budget end = low price...amount of "amenities."

Edited by NancyIL

Nancy,

We've been going Hawaii for 11 years, every year, we love it and I am a DE for Hawaii on TA : )

What do you think of this itinerary ? http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action May 25 round trip from Vancouver. The date is better for us. I was just afraid of the smoking on the balconies on HAL.

I have been to Hawaii only once, and that was a 2-night stopover in Honolulu on the way to Sydney. I booked a May 2017 Honolulu to Vancouver cruise on RCI, plus a HAL Volendam round trip Alaska cruise immediately following. However, the Hawaii cruise overlaps the beginning of the NCL Sun cruise, whose itinerary I love, so Hawaii may have to wait for yet another year! (I suspect your Hawaii comments were meant for Budget Queen.)

I can't see what HAL cruise you're looking at from your link, but guessing it's the Volendam from the date. It's a good itinerary with Glacier Bay, but the May 16 Legend is better. HAL used to go to both Tracy Arm and Juneau on the same day. Now the Volendam drops off passengers who want to see Tracy Arm, then continues to Juneau. To see Tracy Arm means you won't get to Juneau until mid to late afternoon, thus cutting into your touring time in Juneau.

Hope to see you in May. I have cruised Alaska many times and on most of the lines, HAL, Princess, RC, Celebrity, and Carnival. All have their pros and cons and are subjective to each individual. The itinerary is the top of the list for importance. This one will give you a really good taste of Alaska. I have cruised carnival to Alaska and had no complaints. The excursions on all ships are pretty similar. If you are into the Chefs Dinners on the ships Carnival is certainly the most affordable of the cruise lines and is a nice experience.

If you are planning the balcony I would go for the extended.

I haven't any experience in this but your teenager might enjoy the Carnival more so than the Celebrity lines etc. Maybe someone might be able to speak to this.

The Carnival cruise does look appealing...the only thing is we are from Florida (the last 5 years...before then Minnesota) and am a little concerned that it will be still cold in mid May. Am I being paranoid? It doesn't look like the average temperature varies too much between May and June...and earlier is a lower chance of rain.

The Carnival cruise does look appealing...the only thing is we are from Florida (the last 5 years...before then Minnesota) and am a little concerned that it will be still cold in mid May. Am I being paranoid? It doesn't look like the average temperature varies too much between May and June...and earlier is a lower chance of rain.

Any time you go to Alaska- there is a WIDE range of weather. IF you are outside at glaciers, on your cruise ship- yep, it's going to be a lot colder then perhaps one of your ports, which may hit 70.

If you can't tolerate these weather possibilities- then you might want to consider another location.

Celebrity is a new comer to AK. I would stay with HAL, even if it isn't my first choice with AK cruise only. If you choose Seattle over Vancouver make sure you understand the consequences. The east side of Vancouver Island is infinitely preferable to the open ocean side. Skaguay us a must see. Glacier Bay us a must see, especially if you may not go back. Also wed and sat you can go to Lake Bennett. WRT the buffet, do you go to AK for the food or the scenery?

Celebrity is a new comer to AK. I would stay with HAL, even if it isn't my first choice with AK cruise only. If you choose Seattle over Vancouver make sure you understand the consequences. The east side of Vancouver Island is infinitely preferable to the open ocean side. Skaguay us a must see. Glacier Bay us a must see, especially if you may not go back. Also wed and sat you can go to Lake Bennett. WRT the buffet, do you go to AK for the food or the scenery?

Celebrity/RCI have been sailing Alaska for years. 10+++ Hardly a "new comer".