being left at the terminal

I just felt so bad for the families, especially the first family we came across. OMG! the lady just cried her eyeballs out. she couldn't stop, and no telling how long she had been crying before we pulled up. just makes me ensure that we have all our stuff in order!!

Curious how you knew they were denied boarding?

:confused: I understand they were at the port and not on a ship, but so were you.

You hit the two most obvious reasons - arrived too late and lacked required documents. Another would be arrived hoping to book a cabin, but ship was full.

Wait... You could do that? Wow... I didn't know you could just go to the terminal like a last minute thing and board the cruise.

Just a note added to this -- your passport must be valid FOR SIX MONTHS beyond the scheduled RETURN date of your cruise.

I just read on CC of someone denied boarding, I think it was a longer cruise, where the passport would have had only four months on end of cruise.

We travel a lot and this is not restricted to cruises but land travel too.

The six month rule does not apply to U.S. Passport holders returning to U.S. It is because some countries along the itinerary may require the six months for entry. U.S. permits any U.S. passport holder to enter the day the passport expires. (I suspect some have returned home to U.S. days after expiration of passport and maybe got a 'talking to' but came home.) :)

The six month rule does not apply to U.S. Passport holders returning to U.S. It is because some countries along the itinerary may require the six months for entry. U.S. permits any U.S. passport holder to enter the day the passport expires. (I suspect some have returned home to U.S. days after expiration of passport and maybe got a 'talking to' but came home.) :)

The US State Department's website has this info for US citizens.

http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en.html

Just a note added to this -- your passport must be valid FOR SIX MONTHS beyond the scheduled RETURN date of your cruise.

I just read on CC of someone denied boarding, I think it was a longer cruise, where the passport would have had only four months on end of cruise.

We travel a lot and this is not restricted to cruises but land travel too.

Not for closed loop cruises departing from the US.

We saw a family of 5 denied boarding because the "father" was not the biological father and the mom didn't have the letter from the bio father giving permission to take the kids. They tried to get the father to fax the letter, but he refused. Another time, a family of four was denied boarding because the parents weren't US citizens, but the kids were because they were born here, and the parents didn't have their passports from India---they didn't think they needed passports because of their kids. Well, no cruise for them. Really sad for all involved.

I just thought of something else. A few years ago, the Independence of the Seas was relocating to the West Coast by going around Cape Horn. At least a stop in Rio de Janeiro was included. Some passengers showed up without Brazilian Visas, and were denied boarding, even though at least some of them had no plans to get off the ship

I just thought of something else. A few years ago, the Independence of the Seas was relocating to the West Coast by going around Cape Horn. At least a stop in Rio de Janeiro was included. Some passengers showed up without Brazilian Visas, and were denied boarding, even though at least some of them had no plans to get off the ship.

Yes, a cruise line has to know exactly who is cruising with them; their visas and documents have to be right or the passenger is not allowed on board. The Indian visa is fairly difficult to obtain, but no ship cruising there will take you on board without one, however often people say they'll remain on board...if that passenger has to be removed for any reason then the ship is in difficulties.

We cannot check-in on line without giving passport and insurance details...I couldn't check in with a European passport for a European cruise because I had only 5 months left. The cruise line just could not take the risk.

• 1 month later...
There is a program on the Destination USA cable channel showing turnaround day for the Oasis, and it included 2 cases of denied boarding, one because a passport was out of date, and another for some other kind of incorrect documentation. There were also a newlywed couple where the woman made the reservation in her newly-married name, but her passport was in her maiden name. This program should be required watching for new cruisers

I am absolutely paranoid about having our cruise documentation in place to the point of checking it "one more time" when we get into the car to drive to the cruise port. My wife tells me to be as paranoid as I want

I watch this every time it comes on! it's amazing to me how they do what they do to get the ship ready for the next cruise in a matter of hours. it also just reminds me to ensure we have all the documents needed to travel!

Curious how you knew they were denied boarding?

:confused: I understand they were at the port and not on a ship, but so were you.

this occurred on New Year's Eve and our cruise was on 1/2. we arrived early to spend time in the area. we saw them because we drove to the port to watch the ships sail off

Pax have been denied boarding when they completed the health questionnaire and responded someone in their travel group had what could be symptoms of Noro like virus.

I have a friend who works in cruise terminals and they have told me that for almost every cruise at least one person is denied boarding for one reason or another. It is mostly lack of necessary/proper travel documents.

Just a few days ago, 20 people were left behind at the terminal for a HAL cruise.

The ship waited a little while -- they were flying in on the same day.

I have wondered how the cruise lines handle waiting for late passengers.

All cruise documents I have seen lately state that all guests must be on board the ship no later than 2 hours prior to the departure time or they will not be permitted to sail.

In the case of the HAL ship waiting a while how could they meet that 2 hour requirement ?

A few years back we sailed on a Disney ship that was scheduled to sail at 4 pm but did not sail until 5:15 pm.

We were told that there were a large number of guests on a Disney transfer from the airport that was delayed due to an accident on the highway.

Maybe those guests missed the 2pm cut off time for the scheduled 4pm departure but made it to the ship for 3:15 pm and that required the ship to delay sailing for 2 hours after they boarded ?

I get the impression that this 2 hour time span is a government requirement and not something that the cruise lines have any control over.

I think the rule they use for boarding is the same as for tours.

If you book your flights and transfers with the company they will wait for you.

But if you have done it by yourself separately then they don't wait for you to get onboard. When you fly in with them , they know you are transferring from a hotel they have put you in or by there transport.

That is also my understanding. The 2 hour requirement is set by U.S. Officials. The ship can wait for delayed guests but they have to provide for a long enough delay sailing to meet the recalculated two hours.

this occurred on New Year's Eve and our cruise was on 1/2. we arrived early to spend time in the area. we saw them because we drove to the port to watch the ships sail off

I've seen the same sort of thing - I live near the Tampa cruise port and enjoy a nice walk along the area, especially when the ships are departing. I haven't seen anyone left behind, but saw several close calls of people who nearly arrived too late to board.

(What's really funny is that occasionally I'll be standing along with waterfront watching the ship doing a muster drill or waving at passengers, and a crew member will ask in alarm if I'm supposed to be on board. "Nope, just watching!")