Zaandam observations

chloes nana

I am getting set to sail on the Zaandam in March for a trip around South America. Getting excited and want to ask a couple questions, since I haven't ever sailed on the smaller ships.

So, how do find the smaller class ships?

How are the signature suites, really just a veranda cabin I am assuming.

Any special perks really? I do know the concierge is really only the front desk.

Also I would appreciate any observations or feelings regarding cabin A6185. Noise issues or location issues at all? Any insights will be greatly appreciated.:)

Can't answer most of your questions as I've never sailed as much as a balcony on HAL but the Zaandam is to date my favorite HAL-built ship. I sailed 14 days in Asia in 2012 and will be doing much of your cruise in 2017 (BA-SD). It went through a bit of a rough patch about 5 years ago but things got straightened out by the time I sailed and I haven't seen any complaints since.

Have a wonderful cruise (I'm sure you will).

Roy

I am getting set to sail on the Zaandam in March for a trip around South America. Getting excited and want to ask a couple questions, since I haven't ever sailed on the smaller ships.

So, how do find the smaller class ships?

How are the signature suites, really just a veranda cabin I am assuming.

Any special perks really? I do know the concierge is really only the front desk.

Also I would appreciate any observations or feelings regarding cabin A6185. Noise issues or location issues at all? Any insights will be greatly appreciated.:)

The Zaandam has Vista Suites -- which get the suite bonus for mariner purposes but are regular veranda cabins -- good sized.

Did the same cruise last year -- found the concierge service to be exceptional -had a a/c problem one day, it was fixed promptly and they called back to check if we were satisfied.

Was in a similar cabin on port side -- no noise from above -- all cabins, didn't hear any noise below either.

Enjoy your cruise -- we had a great time.

We prefer the smaller ships -- easier to get around -- fewer people -- great crew on the Zaandam btw.

Edited by momatibm

thanks for the answers, just a little curious about the smaller ships. Another couple questions:

1) shore excursions, since this is a smaller ship do you still go to the showroom to be herded out to the busses or is there another way they are doing it now?

I ask because I do know that the tendering process is ships shorex have priority tendering over do it yourself tenders. And how does that work?

2) the organ in the atrium how often or when does it play?

:)

thanks for the answers, just a little curious about the smaller ships. Another couple questions:

1) shore excursions, since this is a smaller ship do you still go to the showroom to be herded out to the busses or is there another way they are doing it now?

I ask because I do know that the tendering process is ships shorex have priority tendering over do it yourself tenders. And how does that work?

1) depends on the port -- and availability of space to load busses -- if necessary to cycle the busses -- they do use the show room. If a tender port, since all shorex don;t leave at the same time -- some non shorex pax can get a ticket and go with the shorex.

2. to be honest, I've been on the Zaandam twice and never heard the organ. So if it is played, it's not terribly intrusive.

1) depends on the port -- and availability of space to load busses -- if necessary to cycle the busses -- they do use the show room. If a tender port, since all shorex don;t leave at the same time -- some non shorex pax can get a ticket and go with the shorex.

2. to be honest, I've been on the Zaandam twice and never heard the organ. So if it is played, it's not terribly intrusive.

so sometimes you go to the showroom for shore excursions and sometimes you don't? is that correct? If you don't go to the showroom, then how do you know when and what busses? Sorry if I am seeming thick. I have never done anything but the herd them out system before, as I said, only the vista class ships so far.

Sometimes shore excursions meet ashore. Usually that means near the end of the gangway, but not always. Look for the shore excursions representative, who will be wearing a red shirt or jacket. They will direct you. You may be able to see the busses in the distance. If you don't see a shore ex. rep., and the busses are some distance away, start walking. Keep your eyes open for that red shirt.

It is really very well organized. YOU may not be sure of what you're doing, but the shore excursions people are. It really is hard to get lost.

Sometimes shore excursions meet ashore. Usually that means near the end of the gangway, but not always. Look for the shore excursions representative, who will be wearing a red shirt or jacket. They will direct you. You may be able to see the busses in the distance. If you don't see a shore ex. rep., and the busses are some distance away, start walking. Keep your eyes open for that red shirt.

It is really very well organized. YOU may not be sure of what you're doing, but the shore excursions people are. It really is hard to get lost.

Thank you Ruth! Have sailed on the Zaandam? Have you ever heard the organ play in the atrium? I really want to hear it!

I sailed on the Zaandam once, coming on 10 years ago. I'm booked to be on her again next January.

I remember catching the end of the organ recital once, near the end of my voyage; I really hadn't been aware of it, and it was happenstance that I came by when I did. I do want to catch it next time.

IIRC, it plays every several hours. Don't want to interrupt the Front Office staff every hour (but you could ask there for the schedule)! :D

I was on the Zaadam in 2013 (Hawaiian cruise). The front office said the organ was scheduled to play at 12 noon and one other time in the afternoon...I came to listen one day at noontime, and nothing happened....I asked the front office and they said the entertainment department was in charge of turning it on.... They placed a call, and about 15 minutes later it played. Very fun to watch the figures moving, playing their little instruments.

I suggest you ask front office when you are on board to see what the schedule/peocedure is nowadays,

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

It plays at noon for about ten minutes. If you aren't in the atrium you won't hear it.

We prefer the smaller ships, less people, more compact, intimate and the ports don't get overwhelmed by tourists. I'd be happy to take another cruise on the Zaandam.

Sailed around South America on Zaandam Nov-Dec 2014. In 6176 (even closer to the elevator than you'll be) -- no noise issues at all.

DID NOT receive double-day credit. Think I used the "concierge" button on the phone once; maybe not. It's a "suite" only in name.

But it is a real nice room! We were three adults, and the sofa was made up each night for my mom, in the morning back to area to socialize. Three 'banks' of drawers in the desk, plus two in each nightstand, and lots of closet space, made it easy to keep clothing organized for three.

Also there are self-serve launderettes, which the larger ships don't have.

Thanks all for the quick responses. I will have to find noon in the atrium at least once or twice. I love organs.

I like the idea of meet the busses on shore soooo much better than herd 'em out of the showroom routine.

Also glad the cabins are a good size, I would surmise they are the same size as the vista class verandas?

Edited by chloes nana

Also glad the cabins are a good size, I would surmise they are the same size as the vista class verandas?

The vista cabins on the Zaandam (all the R- & S-class ships) are larger than the vista cabins on the Vista & Signature ships. They are smaller than the Signature Suites on those ships, though.

In general the cabins on the S-& R-class ships are larger than the comparable category cabins on the larger ships.

Edited by RuthC

The vista cabins on the Zaandam (all the R- & S-class ships) are larger than the vista cabins on the Vista & Signature ships. They are smaller than the Signature Suites on those ships, though.

In general the cabins on the S-& R-class ships are larger than the comparable category cabins on the larger ships.

Thanks Ruth!:)

• 2 months later...
Hello all, I have one of the 'E' Class cabins on the Lower Promenade for the Va to BA Cruise around the horn in January. Has anyone been in these cabins and can comment on what they are like. Thank you

The good thing about those cabins is that you'll have quick and easy access to both sides of the Lower Promenade. That is great for whenever icebergs, penguins, and/or whales are spotted while you are in your cabin.

We do prefer the inside cabins on that deck though. The insides are larger and have more storage space. They also have shower stalls, not tubs like the outsides. For us that is particularly important on an itinerary like yours. When we went to Antarctica in 2007 we had 45+ foot seas on the way down. I remember being very thankful that I wasn't having to get in/out of a tub in order to shower. On that class of ship the tub rim is above the top of my knee. The shower stalls have a flat base, much easier to stand in during heavy seas than a tub. Actually, we have our reservation noted as 'Do not upgrade' as we really do not want one of those outside cabins (or a balcony for that matter).

Zaandam is our favorite ship and the round South America turned out to be our favorite itinerary. Much to our surprise on both counts. Hope you love both just as much. We would do this trip again without hesitation.

<SNIP>

We did our third Zaandam Hawaii cruise last September and the ship is in beautiful shape.

The organ has been serviced fairly recently, it was nicely in tune and didn't have any ciphers this time.

It's normally scheduled to give a brief (maybe 10-15 minutes) recital on Sea Days at Noon, and I think 3:00pm. They will be listed in the daily program.

If you can, take the opportunity to take the stairs during the program to see the different animated figures. Some play bells, drums, or just move like they're conducting. Each one is programmed to play with the music and they don't all go at the same time... you might have to watch one for a while before you see it move.

I echo what's been said previously on the Lower Promenade staterooms for R & S class ships. They're a bit smaller than the outside staterooms on the lower decks, but the quick access to the outside deck makes it all worthwhile (for us).

Make sure you bring a comfy sweater or light jacket - the public rooms are often a bit chilly, even in warm climates.

If you're a music fan, check out some of the instruments on display throughout the ship. There's even a saxophone autographed by Bill Clinton. There's a free iPod tour you can get from the library pointing out various artwork, instruments, etc.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by HALFans

Hello all, I have one of the 'E' Class cabins on the Lower Promenade for the Va to BA Cruise around the horn in January. Has anyone been in these cabins and can comment on what they are like. Thank you

We did that cruise (no Antarctica approach) on the Zaandam in a balcony due to a reasonable upsell from an OV on Main. This was good for three adults! But we really used the balcony very little: Glacier Alley, then hopping in and out for photos, and my mom bundled up and read on the lounger just to prove she loved having it! I don't think my husband set foot on it. However it is a very big window!

We are doing Alaska on the Zaandam sister Volendam, with 3 OVs and an inside (because that couple decided to come along after all the adjacent OV's were booked). After the experience with the balcony in SA, it seems for us being a few steps from the largest balcony on the ship is enough!

All that said, are you in the fore cluster of E cabins, or the ones by the aft elevator/doors? I have different answers...

We did that cruise (no Antarctica approach) on the Zaandam in a balcony due to a reasonable upsell from an OV on Main. This was good for three adults! But we really used the balcony very little: Glacier Alley, then hopping in and out for photos, and my mom bundled up and read on the lounger just to prove she loved having it! I don't think my husband set foot on it. However it is a very big window!

We are doing Alaska on the Zaandam sister Volendam, with 3 OVs and an inside (because that couple decided to come along after all the adjacent OV's were booked). After the experience with the balcony in SA, it seems for us being a few steps from the largest balcony on the ship is enough!

All that said, are you in the fore cluster of E cabins, or the ones by the aft elevator/doors? I have different answers...

Thank you,I have 3328

Google ' obstructed view Zaandam ' and take the hit with 'limited' in its URL. Scroll down to Cabin 3320 or maybe 3370, and this is the sort of view you will have.

Google ' R Class CABIN PHOTOS '; the desired URL should be the one you want. Scroll down to Lower Promenade. There are a couple Zaandam OV's to see, to contemplate roominess and decor.