Noro-Virus Opinion

Sailaway John

I already stated that I do a towel to open restroom doors if it is an "in" opening type door. I do not wish to waste tp to flush when I have a perfectly good foot that fan do that for me. I do not waste towels for the door because I simply use the one I dried my hands with after washing. If no towels or tp are available, I use my sleeve or coat as a last resort. I do not see a problem with being a foot flusher and putting germs on the handle because I am doing it to avoid germs and think everyone should he washing their hands upon exiting a stall, whether they use it or not. There are plenty of times I take my kids to the restroom and dont go hut, still wash my hands because I touch the door to that stall.

I'm confused?

So you use your foot to flush the toilet, but do you do the same to unlock the stall?

Presumably the toilet button/handle is equally contaminated as the stall lock mechanism?

And whats the harm if you are then going to throughly wash your hands with HOT not warm water and soap?

I can't imagine and really don't want to imagine these people contorting themselves inside a small bathroom stall with their leg up touching everything! :eek::D

Weird! And how dirty and unclean are these bathrooms?

DCL get a lot of praise for how clean their public restrooms are and how well attended to.

Are restrooms on other lines really that dirty and unclean?

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

I'm confused?

So you use your foot to flush the toilet, but do you do the same to unlock the stall?

Presumably the toilet button/handle is equally contaminated as the stall lock mechanism?

Those were my questions as well.

And whats the harm if you are then going to throughly wash your hands with HOT not warm water and soap?

I can't imagine and really don't want to imagine these people contorting themselves inside a small bathroom stall with their leg up touching everything! :eek::D

Makes no sense, does it?

DCL get a lot of praise for how clean their public restrooms are and how well attended to.

ex techie

Have been on 4 different lines and never noticed any of the restrooms being horribly dirty and unclean.

The foot flushers would love a restroom in Bermuda, well, really a glorified port-a-potty at one of the beaches. It had a foot pedal that looked like a brake pedal. It was down low so no need for any contortions to flush.:D

Those were my questions as well.

Makes no sense, does it?

Have been on 4 different lines and never noticed any of the restrooms being horribly dirty and unclean.

The foot flushers would love a restroom in Bermuda, well, really a glorified port-a-potty at one of the beaches. It had a foot pedal that looked like a brake pedal. It was down low so no need for any contortions to flush.:D

This whole thread is very bizarre to me!

People walking around so scared to catching something that they go to great lengths to avoid, but yet still come in contact with it.

Maybe they kick the Stateroom, outside deck doors open too in case the Stateroom host has cleaned someone else bathroom before cleaning theirs or someone touched that door after using the bathroom and didn't adequately wash their hands?

ex techie

Is there really a flame debate going on about foot flushing?

Good Lord.

Only here. This is why I love Cruise Critic. ;)

Flames are good. I find that the cigarette lighter flame kills any germs on handles.

Very concerned about Noro?

My best advice??????? Do not cruise -------- Do not go to shopping centers. Do not visit Hospitals or Care Facilities. Do not attend school events. Do not attend political gatherings. Stay away from indoor theaters. To not frequent crowded resturants. And above all, Carnivals, county fairs and anywhere people gather.

Noro is very catching. For your own protection and for others HAND WASHING for your own health. Take care of yourself. Paranoia is no cure.

I'm confused?

ex techie

Good point about the stall door, I never thought about it. It is possible that I use my sleeve to open it, idk, I never paid attention. It may be a completely moot point to do the foot flushing at all if I do touch the door afterwards but, it just skeeves me to use my hand on a public toilet handle if I can help it. It isn't that hard to do, try it. If you think it's super contorting, you are mistaken. It's not at all. I am short and have no issue doing it.

Also, my foot flushing is not referencing any cruise line. I have never cruised before. I am here on these boards trying to learn the ins and outs of cruising because I want to take my family in hopefully 2017. It is just something I do at most public venues. I am sure the cruise lines keep their restrooms cleaner than say Wal Mart ;) but, with so many people in such a confined space, I would probably still be a foot flusher...even though I do ALWAYS wash my hands with soap and warm water.

Good point about the stall door, I never thought about it. It is possible that I use my sleeve to open it, idk, I never paid attention. It may be a completely moot point to do the foot flushing at all if I do touch the door afterwards but, it just skeeves me to use my hand on a public toilet handle if I can help it. It isn't that hard to do, try it. If you think it's super contorting, you are mistaken. It's not at all. I am short and have no issue doing it.

Also, my foot flushing is not referencing any cruise line. I have never cruised before. I am here on these boards trying to learn the ins and outs of cruising because I want to take my family in hopefully 2017. It is just something I do at most public venues. I am sure the cruise lines keep their restrooms cleaner than say Wal Mart ;) but, with so many people in such a confined space, I would probably still be a foot flusher...even though I do ALWAYS wash my hands with soap and warm water.

I will decline your kind suggestion to use my foot unfortunately!

And I truly hope your bathrooms on whatever ship you sail on are kept better and more attended that a Walmart bathroom, or I would be getting off that ship ASAP!

ex techie

I am surprised that nobody has come up w the most obvious solution of all. Bring a box of disposable surgical gloves on board w you. Whenever you encounter what you feel is a germy situation or environment, put on the gloves beforehand. Then strip off the gloves in the approved manner (see this video

) and throw them out. You can easily always carry 5 or 10 pairs of disposable gloves with you at all times.

Hope this helps.

DON

I would have reported him. Not sure if they would do anything about it, but it would make me feel better.

I am sorry but this is juvenile. While disgusting, this is his personal choice. He didn't break any laws. Sink faucets in public bathrooms are covered in germs. Maybe he sanitized previously.

I am sorry but this is juvenile. While disgusting, this is his personal choice. He didn't break any laws. Sink faucets in public bathrooms are covered in germs. Maybe he sanitized previously.

I certainly would not have reported him. No he didn't break any laws and it was his personal choice. However, when his personal choice can impact the health of others, it's not about being a law. Also, most ships these days have motion activated faucets.

Maybe he sanitized previously?:confused:

I will decline your kind suggestion to use my foot unfortunately!

And I truly hope your bathrooms on whatever ship you sail on are kept better and more attended that a Walmart bathroom, or I would be getting off that ship ASAP!

ex techie

I figured you would. :D

Last night on Oceania Marina, a passenger ( perhaps not used to O's food safety practices) attempted to serve himself from the Terrace Grill buffet. Almost in unison, all the passengers around him politely but firmly said "No!" He got the message and asked the server for his food.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer