Live From Silver Spirit - January 7, 2016 Sailing

Keith1010

if Frederick is at the pool bar, please say hello from Candy and Larry. if you are so inclined, ask to see the photos of his beautiful baby girl, Bella. You won't be disappointed.

Hope Donato is aboard running La Terrazza.

I am so envious!hope your wait at the port isn't long.

Keith and Anne Marie - we hope you enjoy Silver Spirit as much as we did. We are looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the ship and the overall Silversea experience. Anne Marie, I know how much you like walking the promenade on Crystal. As do I. You will have to make do with walking around the funnel a million times but its a small price to pay for being on this very intimate and friendly ship :). Silver Spirit has a great feel and for us it was the perfect size.

Danny, we hope that you and Nancy have a fabulous Antarctica cruise and we are envious you will be with Jeff & Al.

Safe travels to all.

Ashley

Keith, Sorry to hijack your thread briefly, and I am glad to know that the weather has cleared up.

Ashley, as you can imagine, we are very much looking forward to sailing once again with Jeffery and Albert. Our trivia team is all set! Thanks for your good wishes.

Had a great first day.

In short:

Embarkation was a breeze.

Enjoyed lunch on board Spirit.

Had time to tour around the ship.

Unpacked.

Went to lie boat drill.

Pre dinner drinks at The Bar.

Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle Party. Seven people including Anne Marie and myself.

Dinner at the restaurant. Just the two of us and we dined for two hours.

Now getting settled back at our room.

Key West tomorrow.

Life is good.

Keith

Good morning from Spirit.

We are at Key West and will get off shortly.

Seas were relatively calm last evening.

Weather for today calls for a high of 79 F and low of 73 F.

Managed to get in a nice workout this morning. Although I knew fitness center would not open until 6:00 am I was pleasantly surprised that I could get in earlier at 5:40 am and got in a nice 75 minute workout mainly by myself.

Well more later and for more details be sure to check out our blog.

Keith

On our recent TA on the Spirit, the gym was available later in the evening as well. We believe it is due to the location where any noise will not disturb the officers as it would on the Shadow, Whisper, Cloud or Wind.

Hope you had a great time in Key West.

Hi Keith. I always enjoy reading your posts on the Crystal Board and I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts on food and dining on the Silver Spirit. Crystal's food reviews are consistently very good, but Silversea's have been all over the place. I will be anxious to hear your comparisons. Thanks and enjoy!

Hi Keith. I always enjoy reading your posts on the Crystal Board and I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts on food and dining on the Silver Spirit. Crystal's food reviews are consistently very good, but Silversea's have been all over the place. I will be anxious to hear your comparisons. Thanks and enjoy!

Sure when we are back home I will provide comments about the food.

Best to you.

Keith

On our recent TA on the Spirit, the gym was available later in the evening as well. We believe it is due to the location where any noise will not disturb the officers as it would on the Shadow, Whisper, Cloud or Wind.

Hope you had a great time in Key West.

Very good point about the location of the Fitness Center.

Yes they said we could also use it later a night as that is a time when they also do classes for the crew.

Mother Nature seems to have a mind of its own.

Weather forecast called for slight chance of rain. As we walked off the ship over an hour ago it was drizzling. Now it is pouring as I post this from inside a market.

Keith

Anne Marie, I know how much you like walking the promenade on Crystal. As do I. You will have to make do with walking around the funnel a million times but its a small price to pay for being on this very intimate and friendly ship :). Ashley

The problem is that the surface on the track is artificial turf, and it sucks up water. Thus, it doesn't dry out after a rain nearly as well as the teak surface on Crystal ships.

The problem is that the surface on the track is artificial turf, and it sucks up water. Thus, it doesn't dry out after a rain nearly as well as the teak surface on Crystal ships.

If the weather is poor, you can always walk around Deck 9 which is "teak" and mostly under cover.

No worries for us. Should weather be bad my wife wil walk inside the ship and also on the treadmill and I will be on the elliptical machine and spin bike. Please also keep in mind that we only have one sea day so we hope to do most walking in port.

Keith

Hi Keith. Am enjoying your blog. My wife & I sailed the Spirit in July and absolutely loved it. I do wish the gym were bigger as I'm sure you're agree, but it is adequate.

I must get this off my chest...just because something makes you laugh out loud, it doesn't mean it's automatically false. LOL.

R u sure you aren't thinking of another ship?

DH jogs a lot and told me there isn't any artificial turf.

He did recall it on the cloud but not on the Spirit.

By artificial turf I mean the plastic stuff. If there is not such a surface on the deck 10 jogging track, what is the surface? It certainly isn't teak. And I doubt it's raw steel.

Yes, not artificial grass, ie, turf. Agree it's some kinda deck that has lines on it..agreed slippery and not conducive to running in rain or blowy humidity.

Not to hijack this thread with deck composition issues.

Just know it's not like faux grass...ie, Cloud, which puddles and dips.

On to the next issue.

I hope.

Like Keith and wife's happy trip.

Speaking of exercise, Keith let us know of a new feature in the Spirit gym (posted on his blog--thanks Keith). The Spirit now has one indoor spin bike (we can hope for half dozen more--but then they would have to find space for them). The good news is that in March, the Spirit had only two recumbent bikes, now adding a spin bike (besides the multiples treadmills and elliptical s) to the relatively small Spirt gym, adds to the variety of choice for a reasonable indoor cardio work out.

Edited by WesW