Live From Silver Spirit - January 7, 2016 Sailing

Keith1010

We enjoyed a nice sail away from Key West which we first enjoyed from our room before making our way to the Panorama Lounge for a pre-dinner drink.

Last night was formal night. For those who know Anne Marie and myself from the Blogs we do or who might have sailed with us we normally bring formal attire with us on any cruise and we do love to dress up when we cruise. We never concern ourselves with what others do. On casual nights I almost always wear a sports jacket. One time we were on an elevator on another cruise line early on in our cruising and it was an informal night and the person looked at us and said don’t you realized this is not a formal night. Fast forward to a few years ago on another cruise line and on a casual night we were on an elevators (by the way we almost always use the steps rather than elevators unless Anne Marie is in heals) and the woman was looking Anne Marie up and down and said to both of us don’t you realize this is a casual night. Why anyone cares is another story.

Anyway, back to last night. Since there was only one formal night on the cruise and also since there was supposed to be four informal nights (as it turned out there will be one formal and three informal nights) we decided a couple of weeks before the cruise not to bring a tuxedo for me and a gown for Anne Marie as originally planned.

As such, we added a reservation to La Terrazza which is one of a couple of specialty restaurants where formal attire is not required on formal nights and dressed in informal attire (tie optional but I wore one) Most people dining at that restaurant did likewise. We didn’t go to the Captain’s Party because we just felt it would be proper to skip that one since we were not in formal attire.

We had an interesting experience at La Terrazza. We had only dined at it once on our previous Silversea cruise and I have to say we didn’t enjoy it. Maybe it was as simple as we made the wrong choices but all I know is that one time we didn’t find the food to be special at all. In fact, for this cruise I wasn’t sure whether or not we should go back. The irony is that we already had a reservation for there later in the cruise but added this one when we realized that we would not dress in formal attire.

Well, last night we came away with a positive experience. We thought that the food that we ordered (three courses including a salad, a tasting of a pasta dish as an appetizer which was spinach ravioli pasta, and lobster for Anne Marie and a fish for me) was quite tasty and we enjoyed the meal. Service was nice and the wine was quite good.

Now as we all know food and ones experience is quite subjective. Take 100 people and see what they think and the opinions will be all over the place. That’s life and the fact that we are all human and all different.

Why do I mention this because of one other reason. Sometimes, someone sails on a cruise line for the very first time and they might love it, not like it, or be indifferent. If they sail on it again they might have the same impression. However, unless they return they will never know. We’ve experienced this on land. Over the years in most places where we lived we had a favorite restaurant. Most times it was stellar. Once in a while it was not and usually one time if it was the first time we went there, we would not have returned. Also has happened to us when we’ve returned to restaurants that we’ve enjoyed while traveling. Only one time that we cruised that we really did not have a good experience. Since others like that line I just never post on that board about that experience nor dwell on it. Things happen. Maybe if we returned on another sailing we would have a different experience because it is possible that all of the things that came together than went wrong (and there were many) were just a fluke.

I do realize that if one has a bad experience they are not very likely to try it again.

I mention this because often we all draw conclusions based on an experience but positive, negative or indifferent but sometimes that first experience could have been a one-off meaning a return might be better or even worse.

From time to time on many of the CC boards including this one I will read that someone went to a restaurant that others raved about and didn’t like it. Now it might mean that if they dined there 10 more times they would have the same impression or it might be that what they ordered they didn’t care for but as luck would have it if they ordered something else they might have loved it, or maybe it was simply the chef who prepared the dish made a mistake or the waiter they had was not good or whatever.

After last night’s experience we will keep our other reservation at La Terrazza.

Today we are at sea for the first of the two sea days of this voyage with the final sea day on the day before we arrive back to Fort Lauderdale.

In about 40 minutes I will go to the Fitness Center for some exercise. Had to throw that in. Remember for me aside from enjoying exercise and believing it is good for not only the heart but also for the brain, the more exercise allows for more enjoyment of food and yes even Champagne. LOL, but so very true.

Keith

Good Morning Keith, Thanks for your continued well written and wise on board Spirit reports. Glad you enjoyed y'alls dinner meal in La Terraza. For your next visit if Anne Marie and you want a special pasta (e.g. Pasta alla Posillipo, veggie lasagna, spaghetti carbonara) with 24 hrs notice, you can ask the Maitre'd (Donato I believe) to ask the LT exec chef to prepare for you. And if you have a moment and are near the Hotel Director's office (next to Guest services desk) please pass our warm regards along to Paolo--thanks in advance.

Are you using the Spin bike for any portion of your morning work out? Is it programmable?

We had an interesting experience at La Terrazza. We came away with a positive experience. We thought that the food that we ordered (three courses including a salad, a tasting of a pasta dish as an appetizer which was spinach ravioli pasta, and lobster for Anne Marie and a fish for me) was quite tasty and we enjoyed the meal. Service was nice and the wine was quite good. Now as we all know food and ones experience is quite subjective. Take 100 people and see what they think and the opinions will be all over the place. That’s life and the fact that we are all human and all different. Keith

Appreciate Keith's continued great details and insights. Glad that things worked out well last night at La Terrazza. As you correctly noted, food ratings can be very subjective and varied by individual, personal taste. And, some luck for what you order, can be an important factor, too!! Keep up the great sharing and postings.

Looked at your pictures on your personal blog and enjoyed very much the nice and enjoyable sites in and around historic Key West. Fun!! Sorry about the rain there, but you were surviving. Did not seem that crowded there!! Was Key West loaded that day with a number of cruise ships or was the Silver Spirit the only ship in port?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 131,543 views for this posting.

Edited by TLCOhio

We just got off the Spirit after 17 day voyage LAX to FLL thru the Panama Canal. We especially enjoyed the main restaurant and also dined at the Grill and Terrazza several times. Good menus,good wines,good service and good overall experience. The crew is very friendly. The ship is quiet,clean and in good condition except that we had no internet connection or newspapers or cell phones for 3 days. As always, some tours were special and some were pretty bad.This was our 36th cruise, 11 on Silversea,the rest on Regent and Seabourn and the old Royal Viking Sun.

The other passengers this time were about 50% British which is great for us Americans. Other Europeans and other nationalities helped make this an excellent trip. Butler a little overeager and intrusive but meant well. The design of the Spirit is weird. The theater is cramped and poorly designed.

The Panorama has seating that you disappear down into and there are no restrooms on decks 11 or 10. But,overall, I think anyone will truly enjoy cruising with Silversea on The Spirit. We'll be back for sure.

Tripperva

Good Morning Keith, Thanks for your continued well written and wise on board Spirit reports. Glad you enjoyed y'alls dinner meal in La Terraza. For your next visit if Anne Marie and you want a special pasta (e.g. Pasta alla Posillipo, veggie lasagna, spaghetti carbonara) with 24 hrs notice, you can ask the Maitre'd (Donato I believe) to ask the LT exec chef to prepare for you. And if you have a moment and are near the Hotel Director's office (next to Guest services desk) please pass our warm regards along to Paolo--thanks in advance.

Are you using the Spin bike for any portion of your morning work out? Is it programmable?

Hi Wes, thank you for this advice and all the great advice you have provided.

I will be sure to give your best to Paolo and we already received a nice card and chocolates from him.

I took a couple of photos of the Spin Bike and did use it today.

I need to speak with the Fitness Director about it. It makes a noise from the front wheel but not sure if there is a problem with it or that is the way it is designed plus I could not raise or lower the seat although it was close enough to where it needed to be I could spin. It has a little digital readout but I couldn't read all of the items on it. I have taken a couple of photos of it and they will be on my blog later today.

I spent the bulk of my time on the Elliptical Machine.

I also walked an hour outside on the top deck with Anne Marie. While the length is say not like on Crystal (obviously ship is shorter) it was larger than I had thought it would be. When we cruised the Seabourn Pride I think I could have run around the open area in second. Well, maybe not seconds but not too much longer than that.

Keith

Appreciate Keith's continued great details and insights. Glad that things worked out well last night at La Terrazza. As you correctly noted, food ratings can be very subjective and varied by individual, personal taste. And, some luck for what you order, can be an important factor, too!! Keep up the great sharing and postings.

Looked at your pictures on your personal blog and enjoyed very much the nice and enjoyable sites in and around historic Key West. Fun!! Sorry about the rain there, but you were surviving. Did not seem that crowded there!! Was Key West loaded that day with a number of cruise ships or was the Silver Spirit the only ship in port?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 131,543 views for this posting.

Hi Terry, thank you for the nice comments.

Surprisingly we were the only ship in Key West which is unusual this time of year. I have been there often with two and sometimes three ships. There was interest in adding capacity for more ships but I remember reading that the locals didn't want that as has been the case in Charleston, SC.

Keith

We just got off the Spirit after 17 day voyage LAX to FLL thru the Panama Canal. We especially enjoyed the main restaurant and also dined at the Grill and Terrazza several times. Good menus,good wines,good service and good overall experience. The crew is very friendly. The ship is quiet,clean and in good condition except that we had no internet connection or newspapers or cell phones for 3 days. As always, some tours were special and some were pretty bad.This was our 36th cruise, 11 on Silversea,the rest on Regent and Seabourn and the old Royal Viking Sun.

The other passengers this time were about 50% British which is great for us Americans. Other Europeans and other nationalities helped make this an excellent trip. Butler a little overeager and intrusive but meant well. The design of the Spirit is weird. The theater is cramped and poorly designed.

The Panorama has seating that you disappear down into and there are no restrooms on decks 11 or 10. But,overall, I think anyone will truly enjoy cruising with Silversea on The Spirit. We'll be back for sure.

Tripperva

Sorry we missed you on Spirit and glad you had a good time.

We like the design of the Spirit.

I do think the theatre is not optimal in terms of being able to see.

I like most other rooms and find the lounges for pre dinner drinks to be very nice.

My wife needs a bathroom wherever we go but given the size of the ship even though the might not be one in every area, they are no more than a minute or two away.

Best to you.

Keith

Our favorite bar is the Observation Bar even without a WC nearby. It is much quieter and great if you want to have a conversation without screaming. We have also found that the bartender and staff are much less rushed and remember all drink preferences.

Hi Keith, thanks for spin bike info. To enhance early morning runs/late afternoon runs around the jogging track, I use every stairwell go down a deck, run/walk that deck (on Panorma Lounge Veranda if no guests are out there (usually not a problem at 5:30 am to 6:30 a.m) when I am on La Terrazza terrace in a.m. Often have a brief chat with Donato who is also sitting out there. Also, use aft portion of Deck 8 in early a.m for yoga and tai chi practice as we find this space only gets use by the sun worshippers in the afternoon.

Edited by WesW

Hi Terry, thank you for the nice comments.

Surprisingly we were the only ship in Key West which is unusual this time of year. I have been there often with two and sometimes three ships. There was interest in adding capacity for more ships but I remember reading that the locals didn't want that as has been the case in Charleston, SC.

Keith

Key West like St. Births do not want more tourists nor do we in Delray Beach in the winter but yet the building continues and the traffic is horrible. The locals are really fighting back....we just have run out of real estate simple as that. We are hoping for a moratorium to stop the developers from strangling our quaint city's.

Keith, La Terraza is one of our favorite dining venues on any ship. Yes, we have had a few average meals there, but most have been great. Highly recommend the duck pappardelle. Also if you like pizza at all, you can get them to specially cook a pizza to order at lunchtime. Perfect for 2 people to split if you get a salad from the buffet as well. On sea days, George and I love to go up, order a pizza and bottle of wine, get our salads, and enjoy a very long leisurely lunch.

Not to highjack this thread, but far back as I can recall we have had tourists in locales such as Delray, Boca and yes even highland beach. Not new.

As old buildings crumble, taller and more dense buildings go up.

Traffic in winter approaches gridlock.

I also grew up in a tourist town, on the east coast and in summer it was traffic gridlock on our otherwise quiet country roads.

But these people help the economy.

Can't have it both ways.:)

Keith, La Terraza is one of our favorite dining venues on any ship. Yes, we have had a few average meals there, but most have been great. Highly recommend the duck pappardelle. Also if you like pizza at all, you can get them to specially cook a pizza to order at lunchtime. Perfect for 2 people to split if you get a salad from the buffet as well. On sea days, George and I love to go up, order a pizza and bottle of wine, get our salads, and enjoy a very long leisurely lunch.

Trust me you will not find Keith eating a pizza or duck nor will you find me eating that either.:eek:

Or maybe a big vat of fries? ;)

Rachel, thanks so much for the additional thoughts.

Anne Marie and I are pretty disciplined as to what we eat for many meals (Oatmeal for me at breakfast and Salad entrees for lunch) but believe it or not I love pizza. We just don't have it often. Maybe we will give that one a try. On Crystal when we've sailed for a World Cruise maybe two or three times we would order Pizza to our room and make it a movie night. We were looking at the menus on the tables with the Pizza just today.

Host Dan has it right, I do pass on those French Fries and Miles has it right nowadays about the duck but I have to say many years ago Anne Marie and I would go to a Chinese Restaurant on land and with 24 hours notice they would have duck prepared. I would have it but not for Anne Marie. I know I would still like it but would likely pass on it just because I've gotten so disciplined.

I will deviate from time to time even on cruises for a meal or two so if I do on this one you've sold me on the Pizza. :)

Keith

I am also a very disciplined eater. Mostly salads for lunch. Berries and yogurt for breakfast. Never have dessert unless it is fruit.

That is why George and I split the pizza. And it is a special occasion.

The duck pappardelle is really good and not as rich as one would think. It is one of Wes's favorites, and you can get a small portion.

Absolutely agree with Rachel, the Duck Pappardelle is very good--sometimes I ask for

a dinner portion. Just hope with Victoria, Bob, Dieter and Debbie boarding next Friday they leave some for us :).

Keith, enjoy Seishin for dinner tonight, look forward to hearing what y'all think.

Miles, hope you had a great time at Silk Road.

Wes, we just got back from Seishin and had a great time. Will post about it tomorrow. Also met Hotel Director Paolo and gave him your very best.

Rachel thank you again for the suggestions.

Christie thank you so much for all of the advice you gave me. Anne Marie and I are actually talking about having pizza in our room.

Keith

Anne Marie and I had a lovely time on board Spirit last evening.

We had pre-dinner drinks at The Bar Lounge. We think this is just an absolutely beautiful lounge. It is tastefully decorated and just a nice place to enjoy a drink and conversation. Wait staff has been great.

Hotel Director came up to us to introduce himself to us and knew our names. Very nice.

We then dined at the Seishin Japanese Specialty Restaurant.

We liked the fact that it is a very small and intimate restaurant/dining venue. We were fortunate that they sat us at the one two person table that has no tables on either side of it. But any of the other two person tables would have worked too.

We went with the Degustation nine course meal which is $40.00 per person vs. the two other choices which are mainly sushi and sashimi at $20.00 per person. I believe based on how long people dined that most if not all also went with the nine course meal.

We enjoyed the diversity of the items and it was nice not to have to make any decisions other than to eat. It does give you a wide range of items to try. Of course if there are some items that you enjoy more than others you are limited. Anne Marie and I exchanged some as I love Sashimi and she prefers Sushi.

Service was very nice with three waitresses all involved in taking good care of us. We were not rushed and we dined for almost two hours and we loved how quiet it was. Unlike some restaurants on land where the emphasis is on loud music and lots of noise, we like to enjoy quiet meals and that is exactly what we did.

We passed on the show. It was a long day for us as we are early risers but we will catch some of the other shows.

Good news we turned the clocks back on hour before going to bed last evening.

All in all a great day.

Keith

Keith

Can I ask how the new included WiFi is working.

I understand my husband and I will receive 60 mins each per day.

Can this combined for just myself to use?

Do you get a warning to advise when the 60 minutes are used up or does it simply continue with charges?

Thanks

swindy, you each get 60 minutes per day and all up front.

You have to set up a user id for yourself and one for your husband. They are not combinable but if you run out of your minutes you could just log on with his information or the other way around.

When you log on it shows you how many minutes remain and when you log off it shows you if you wait a few seconds after logging off for the next window to appear how many minutes remain.

Keith