Passport expiring soon

We obtained EDL's for our last cruise (way back in 2014;)) mostly because carrying DW's naturalization certificate around made me very nervous since it costs $350 to replace. After we obtained our passports last year we decided to renew the EDL's since we do live 8 miles from the border and we can use the EDL on cruises rather than worry about taking our passports. (And the EDL also works for cruises to Bermuda;).

But you can't fly back from Bermuda if there is an emergency or such. Only passport books are good for air travel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

I was also worried about this as my passport expires in March 2016 for my November 2015 cruise, but I researched it and none of the 6 month rule countries were on our cruise and I was fine.

Where do you find what countries are part of the 6 month rule? We are traveling to Bermuda in Aug. with grandchildren.

Most renewals are by mail nowadays. I used Certified Mail and once they've received it it's trackable online after a few days. Last June mine took just over two weeks so it was quick. YMMV.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply.html

I'll be doing this. Sending tomorrow certified mail, and crossing my fingers I have it back in time. Next trip isn't until 3/13.

But you can't fly back from Bermuda if there is an emergency or such. Only passport books are good for air travel.

Yes, that is true but the odds of us having to fly back from a cruise are very low. We were comfortable cruising with our birth certs/naturalization certificates before we had passports and that comfort level hasn't changed.

Where do you find what countries are part of the 6 month rule? We are traveling to Bermuda in Aug. with grandchildren.

The State Department website has a section that discusses passport requirements for countries, but they don't cover exceptions made for cruise ship passengers. Bermuda may be reached via a closed loop cruise by US citizens using a birth certificate/government issued ID, so it would be silly for them to require those US citizens with passports to have 6 months remaining on it.

Went thru this exercise in October 2014, our passports expired in Mid March 2015, we were doing the Eastern Europe version of the Danube on Avalon. Three weeks before we left we got our documents and they said, unequivocally that we "could" be denied boarding if our passports expired less than 6 months after our cruise. I contacted Avalon customer service, and they said they would not deny me entry, but I was concerned. I had checked months before each and every country we were visiting, and not one had requirements greater than 3 months after entry. So, I posted in the River Cruise forum that I was frustrated with Avalon's boiler plate automatic response about passports. BTW, I like Avalon very very much.

OMG, I was pounded by every "expert" in that forum, I was told that I would not be allowed to board, I was told I would not even get on the plane for my first flight. I was told I would not be allowed to board an airplane in either Germany or Austria. I was told so many facts by the "experts". So, much so that I printed off the entry, passport and visa requirements of each country, and there were many. Germany, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Hungary and Austria just in case. I was told that at the very least by the "experts" that I would be hassled.

Of course, not a single border agent even mentioned the expiration date, and we had no problem at all.

I love the advice I have gotten over the years from people who know things here, but there are a lot of self-appointed "experts" who love to scare the heck out of their fellow members. The just renew your passport crowd is just one example. I am an ardent believer in having a passport. I am an ardent believer of finding the "facts" and ignore the herd., Fortunately, for me I have travelled as much or more than 90% of the experts, and I do not lack for self-confidence.

:D:eek:

:cool:

JC

Yes, that is true but the odds of us having to fly back from a cruise are very low. We were comfortable cruising with our birth certs/naturalization certificates before we had passports and that comfort level hasn't changed.

Everyone thinks the odds are low.....until there is an emergency. That is why it is called an "emergency".

No way I would travel to a foreign country without a passport.

Of course, not a single border agent even mentioned the expiration date, and we had no problem at all.

My concern with the six months is not the border agents. It is that some cruise line or airline is going to hassle me about the passport date. I have had friends I was boarding with who got onboard but we had to ask for a supervisor.

At the borders many agents don't even look at your passport book. For example both times entering Italy at Rome from a US flight I had my book out and open and the agents didn't even want to see my book. They just waved me on. Returning to the US from the Rome airport security must have looked at my passport six times. But of course the expiration date does not matter leaving and all the US wants is a valid passport.

My passport expires in early April of 2017 and I have a Caribbean cruise booked for December 2016. I won't renew before that cruise, I will do my passport renewal in late February of 2017.

Everyone thinks the odds are low.....until there is an emergency. That is why it is called an "emergency".

Well, that's you and that's fine, everyone makes different choices. As for why it's called an emergency that's why the Consulate and travel insurance exist. Millions of people travel on closed loop cruises with documentation other than a passport without issue, so it's not like it's fraught with unmitigated peril;).

My concern with the six months is not the border agents. It is that some cruise line or airline is going to hassle me about the passport date. I have had friends I was boarding with who got onboard but we had to ask for a supervisor.

At the borders many agents don't even look at your passport book. For example both times entering Italy at Rome from a US flight I had my book out and open and the agents didn't even want to see my book. They just waved me on. Returning to the US from the Rome airport security must have looked at my passport six times. But of course the expiration date does not matter leaving and all the US wants is a valid passport.

My passport expires in early April of 2017 and I have a Caribbean cruise booked for December 2016. I won't renew before that cruise, I will do my passport renewal in late February of 2017.

Um, my passport was valid, and I did renew before my late February 2015 cruises to the Caribbean.

No way I would travel without a passport. Nobody on Avalon or any airline, gave a rip about my 5 month expiration date. Who was I supposed to worry about beyond those?:rolleyes:

JC

Well, that's you and that's fine, everyone makes different choices. As for why it's called an emergency that's why the Consulate and travel insurance exist. Millions of people travel on closed loop cruises with documentation other than a passport without issue, so it's not like it's fraught with unmitigated peril;).

It isn't a problem until it is. But you are correct that you are the one who will have to live with making the wrong choice. I will always travel with a passport. It is smart to do so when traveling to foreign countries when you are not under the laws of the USA. And there is not always a consulate close by. As for travel insurance I don't know what help you expect from that if you have to return to the US because of an emergency back home.

Edited by Charles4515

Um, my passport was valid, and I did renew before my late February 2015 cruises to the Caribbean.

No way I would travel without a passport. Nobody on Avalon or any airline, gave a rip about my 5 month expiration date. Who was I supposed to worry about beyond those?:rolleyes:

JC

I have seen cruise line agents question documents. But not about the expiration date. If there have been name changes, or a minor with a different name etc. The person had to talk to of a supervisor and in every case the supervisor accepted the documents but it was stressful for them. Avoiding stress is a reason people have questions about expiration dates and want to make sure they have the right documents.

Edited by Charles4515

It isn't a problem until it is. But you are correct that you are the one who will have to live with making the wrong choice. I will always travel with a passport. It is smart to do so when traveling to foreign countries when you are not under the laws of the USA. And there is not always a consulate close by. As for travel insurance I don't know what help you expect from that if you have to return to the US because of an emergency back home.

The only risk of not having a passport is the delay it takes in getting the required documentation from the Consulate and the travel insurance would help offset those costs. If one is at all discomfited by the risk of course getting a passport would allay that discomfort, but even with a passport it doesn't mean that one will be able to make it back to the States without any delay.

The only risk of not having a passport is the delay it takes in getting the required documentation from the Consulate and the travel insurance would help offset those costs. If one is at all discomfited by the risk of course getting a passport would allay that discomfort, but even with a passport it doesn't mean that one will be able to make it back to the States without any delay.

Having a passport and being able get on a flight without contacting a consulate seems like common sense but I guess having common sense is too much for some. They would rather save a few bucks and not get a passport.

Edited by Charles4515

Having a passport and being able get on a flight without contacting a consulate seems like common sense but I guess having common sense is too much for some. They would rather save a few bucks and not get a passport.

I have plenty of common sense, thank you anyway:). I preferred to wait until we actually needed the passports for the travel we were doing because passports also have an expiration date. For someone that doesn't care what choice someone else makes you sure do seem to be taking it personally. As you pointed out my choice doesn't affect you at all. There is no need for you to make backhanded insults.

I have seen cruise line agents question documents. But not about the expiration date. If there have been name changes, or a minor with a different name etc. The person had to talk to of a supervisor and in every case the supervisor accepted the documents but it was stressful for them. Avoiding stress is a reason people have questions about expiration dates and want to make sure they have the right documents.

My point, was I had no stress until I got the documents, and the experts agreeing with the documents that there was no way we would make the trip.

Giving people expert advice that is wrong is stressful. Documents from cruise lines that are boiler plate and do not reflect reality or facts is stressful.

People who put fear into others in this forum are stressful.

Stress is part of life. Giving bad advice by self-appointed experts is part of CC....

JC

My point, was I had no stress until I got the documents, and the experts agreeing with the documents that there was no way we would make the trip.

Giving people expert advice that is wrong is stressful. Documents from cruise lines that are boiler plate and do not reflect reality or facts is stressful.

People who put fear into others in this forum are stressful.

Stress is part of life. Giving bad advice by self-appointed experts is part of CC....

JC

The boilerplate from the cruise lines is because some countries do require six months validity. They are more concerned that passengers won't be admitted to a country than that some passengers renew their passports months earlier than needed for a particular itinerary. So they publish the worst case requirements as the cruise lines have many itineraries. Some passengers don't travel much or are not savvy enough to check each countries requirements for admittance or that some require six months validity.

Edited by Charles4515

I'll be doing this. Sending tomorrow certified mail, and crossing my fingers I have it back in time. Next trip isn't until 3/13.

Worry not! I just renewed mine and my wife's and it took two weeks.I sent it priority mail 2 day, it only cost $6 and I was able to track it.

Do you carry your passport off the ship?

We are going on a closed loop Royal Caribbean cruise starting and ending in Ft. Lauderdale. We are US Citizens and our cruise ends on 4/2/16. Our passports expire in mid-August. Will Royal Caribbean deny us boarding because the passports expire in less than 6 months?

No country you visit will require a US citizen to carry a passport to enter. The only thing RCI wants is your citizenship country. If you use your passport to checkin it cannot expire before you re-enter the country.

Wrong!

Exactly how am I wrong Charles?

You know exactly what I meant, on her cruise no country requires a passport to enter. You just make yourself look silly. People try to be respectful, but it's not possible with the passport police.

Exactly how am I wrong Charles?

You know exactly what I meant, on her cruise no country requires a passport to enter. You just make yourself look silly. People try to be respectful, but it's not possible with the passport police.

Sorry! I misread what you wrote. I read it in Tapatalk and didn't see that it was a direct reply to the other person about their sailing.