Princess entertainment

Micahs Grandad

We just finished our second cruise on Princess.

First on Royal and entertainment was mostly classical with violin and string quartets and very good.

This one on Ruby was totally different withs hypnotists and magician not what we were expecting.

Is there a norm?

Not that I can tell. It seems to be that there are musicians in the Piazza area at various times. Real ones. A violin duo, a couple different pianists, etc. The variety acts in the theatre on our cruise were "has been" so called musicians who played a little guitar, sang a little, and told crude jokes. There was also a juggling team in the piazza area that I never did figure out. They were sort of telling jokes and doing juggling stunts.

We walked out on the main stage variety people both nights. Yes, it was that bad.

First on Royal and entertainment was mostly classical with violin and string quartets and very good.

This one on Ruby was totally different withs hypnotists and magician not what we were expecting.

Is there a norm?

Did you go to the shows?

We find the entertainment to be quite varied. Here is an example of the entertainment on our last cruise (3 day coastal on Ruby in December 2015)

Two theater type shows. One was an older show and one was the new Magic To Do show (get there a minimum of 45 minutes early). In the theater there was a Mentalist. In Explorers lounge, there was a comedian - two or three shows. The late show was different from the early show(s). House band played in the lounges. Individual entertainers in the Piaza. Just about something for everyone. For being on the ship for only three days...there was no lack of entertainment.

I've mainly cruised out of San Pedro (Hawaii, Mexico, California Coastal, Alaska/repo). Princess seems to like Los Brillantes or similar Mexican "Mariachi" band type entertainment for the Piazza. On the Hawaii cruise, there was more classical groups (Rhapsody Trio and ....sorry "senior moment").

Entertainers seem to be moving toward single person acts. I'm not into comedians or illusionists.

Production shows run the gamut from great "On the Bayou" to not so great "Mo Town" and everything in between. Each person will have their own personal take on these shows.

Fill in shows are comedians, illusionists, guitarist, a great violinist, mentalist, etc. I've gone to shows where the ship's pianist did the story of Gershwin. And a principle dancer/singer did a great songbook of Sinatra.

If you are fortunate enough to be on a ship with ELUA (Dave and Leialoha) on the way to Hawaii, you will be entertained all the time.

I miss the crew talent show and "If I were upon the sea". "Pub Night" with he Cruise Director staff was pretty good.

Some of the entertainers (15 minute short acts) in the Piazza were good, but there was no place to sit.

One of the biggest problems Princess has is that the venues do not accommodate all the passengers. Princess seems to be building bigger ships but taking away entertainment centers. So instead of splitting the group in to two audiences (Princess Theater and the aft theater/which is being dismantled), everyone is trying to fit in the Princess Theater at the same time.

In the "good ol' days", one could enjoy two different shows plus stop at the Piazza on the way to the second show for more entertainment.

I've only seen production shows, magicians, jugglers, comics, and a hypnotist in the shows in the theater. I've never seen a classical act featured in the theater on a Princess cruise. We've enjoyed them on some of our HAL cruises.

The Regal Princess had non- stop entertainment the two weeks we were cruising on her.

For those that say Princess doesn't have enough room in the theater for all those onboard, you are right. In order to seat 3500 people at one time in any venue on any ship that only holds 3500 people you would have to remove the cabins and dining rooms and pools etc. etc. etc.:D

So in other words the classical entertainment we saw in the main lounge on Royal Princess for about 5 of our 15 day cruise is not the norm?

On the Royal and the Regal, we experienced classical music both in the theater and the atrium. We have experienced string quartets on some of the other ships too. It depends on the CD, itinerary and ship.

Is there a norm?

We had the same classical entertainment In 2014 and 2015

on Piazza of Royal, and also on Regal's in 2015.

Am not sure if it can be called a norm,

or just an extended run of entertainment schedules.

Hi

Every cruise I have taken has had some form of classical music in the atrium

anything from a single violin player to a string quartet,

add to this a number of short shows from performers doing main acts

at other venues.

However noticeable change in past few years, more passenger or crew lead events,

less selection of acts, quality of acts has dropped before you would have a

must see act the rest being OK, now the must see act might be for one night

only,

yours Shogun

Hi

Every cruise I have taken has had some form of classical music in the atrium

anything from a single violin player to a string quartet,

add to this a number of short shows from performers doing main acts

at other venues.

However noticeable change in past few years, more passenger or crew lead events,

less selection of acts, quality of acts has dropped before you would have a

must see act the rest being OK, now the must see act might be for one night

only,

yours Shogun

The problem with the atrium is very limited seating and lots of talking making it hard to hear performers.

We are shifting away from Carnival in the Caribbean to see the world and like Princess's food and service very much and was hoping for more upscale entertainment at a comfortable venue.