and so it begins.....RTW16

cbb

Cynthia: Sounds like a lovely day in Wellington. We might do this by renting a car; need to do a bit of research. It would be a good option since we will be in Wellington from noon to 11:00p.

Question: you mention a complimentary shuttle from Queen's Wharf to the department store. Waynetor mentions docking at Aotea Quay and taking a shuttle from there to the center of town. Was there a second shuttle?

cbb........ our friends Barb & Steve and Ann & Jerry are on your cruise, so we have been following ya'll... thanks for the wonderful posts!!!

We are sincerely praying that O offers the "fly over" of Mt. Kilimanjaro and the Serengeti for our Cape Town to Singapore O cruise in January!!

Say hello to Barb & Steve and Ann & Jerry!!

Dinah

Edited by BabySis
spelling

h2so4- nope i was wrong about where we docked. I simply used my notes from where we were told it was going to dock and not where we docked....my bad and thanks for catching that!! c

May 17, 2016 Napier, NZ.

We were all glad to come in to Napier since we had missed both Hobart and Picton due to weather. It was rumored that some of the segmenters were threatening mutiny....can't you just see some CPA or lawyer piloting the ship?!!

Of course they know so much more about approaching marine weather than the professionals. (I secretly hoped that some of them would feel the motion from the bumpy ride that they didn't think was going to happen but I'm on the same ship and don't wish it for Mr. Wonderful.)

In 1931 Napier was hit with a devastating earthquake and subsequent fire and few buildings were left standing. Many of the townspeople erected tents in what became Clive Square, a lovely garden area in the western part of the city and from there set about removing the debris and rebuilding.

The city was rebuilt in 2 years due to very hard work and determination. Art deco and Spanish-mission architecture was popular in the 1930s and the town was largely rebuilt using this style.

Even though they were in a hurry to get out of tents and into dry and sturdy housing they took the time to install these amazing details along roof lines, around doors, and windows.

Only Miami's Art Deco District is comparable with Napier's so if you love art deco you are in for a treat. I read that of the 164 buildings constructed in the art deco style, 140 of them remain. Yes, you will see salmon, aqua, and pale blue colored painted trim. You will often see 1933 or 1934 on store front gables.

We did Napier DIY and had purchased the art deco self-guided walk brochure from the historical society before we left the US. However, the shuttle bus that we rode into Napier stopped at the I-SITE visitor center in town and you can purchase the brochure there for a DIY walk, or purchase the services of a guide who will walk with you and explain what you're seeing. I recommend either of these. The brochure is $7.50NZ and you're supporting the heritage center.

The shuttle was great because, while the distance to the center of town from the ship is less than 1K, passengers are not allowed to walk off ship through the port for safety reasons. The shuttle drop off I-SITE on Marine Parade is the perfect place. You can pick up maps, visit the toilets (for $.20NZ) and talk to tourist reps.

Marine Parade runs parallel with the ocean. You can easily spend an hour just walking Marine Parade enjoying the ocean, sitting on a park bench, or talking to the locals who are a joy to talk to.

Look for the statue of Pania of the Reef, a figure in Maori legend. There is a band shell and it must be a perfect place for a summer evening concert.

There are many shops carrying merino wool clothing, Maori items, NZ children's books for the grandparents to buy, and of course, tourist souvenirs. However, I had the impression that Napier doesn't exist just for the tourist but is a town filled with people who have jobs, and kids, and places to go that doesn't always include thoughts of visitors!

Look for street art, and alley art, and goods made in New Zealand. Yes, I bought earrings! We found the Brumley's and had a chocolate chip muffin--they are enormous and if you split it with your partner there is no guilt!! There are plenty of coffee spots, small cafes, and pubs.

Go through Clive Square and look to the SW corner for Countdown, the grocery store chain. They have a great wine section and were running some specials. We met several from the ship in the wine aisle and we all walked out clinking!

Also in downtown Napier is the New Zealand Wine Centre that several walked to, others went to the National Aquarium while some arranged private tours into the Hawke's Bay wine region.

One of the fun things to do is to make arrangements to take a vintage car ride through town. I don't know the cost but the name of the company you can google is "Hooters" and several of the passengers were driven through town and we all had a great time waving at each other!

Representatives of the classic car tours are right by the I-SITE but I think most of our people made the arrangements earlier.

If you have the opportunity to visit Napier grab it. It is a very welcoming and lovely town. The locals greeted us everywhere we went and there were some signs in the windows that said "Welcome Insignia" which is always nice.

I really liked Napier but decided I couldn't live there...my highest accolade...since winter was coming and had brought a taste of it the morning that we were there. Even the locals were saying they woke up that morning and said "wow...it's turned cold overnight...winter's coming!"

As the men on the docks and our guys were moving the gangway into the ship, the local volunteers gave us an awesome farewell.

A quartet, 3 men and a young woman, were playing ragtime and I don't know who enjoyed it the most--the band or the passengers! The young woman played sax and clarinet and was the "girl singer" and the trombone player was the "guy singer" and the other 2 were banjo and bass....what's not to love!

The other volunteers had driven their old cars down to the dock and were dressed in the 1930s fashions so the women had on their t-strap shoes, cloche hats, and fur stoles and the men had on spats, striped jackets and panama hats...how cute was that!

The band cased their instruments, the volunteers drove away in their cars, ah-ooga-ing on their horns, waving their gloved hands or tipping their hats, and the Insignia sailed off....what an ending to a great day!!!

May 18, 2016 Tauranga, New Zealand

We battled some rough seas yesterday evening leaving Napier and Mr. Wonderful declined dinner. Thankfully, later that evening we either had winds change direction, we changed direction, or a combination of both but the rough seas subsided and all was well!

We arrived in port at 10am as scheduled, were quickly cleared by the officials and we were off the ship shortly afterwards. We use a website called "passageweather.com" and also wunderground.com and weather.com and all indicated that indeed weather, and rainy weather and winds at that, was headed our way.

It was a cold day and I had layered a warm fleece under a thick wind-breaker and was carrying a heavy-duty poncho in a day pack.

When you come into the Port of Tauranga, you are actually coming into the town of Mount Maunganui which is becoming a premier beach town for families and for serious surfers.

Coming to Tauranga is like getting 3 destinations from 1 port: Tauranga, Mount Maunganui and Rotorua. Tauranga, one of the fastest growing places in New Zealand, is 4.2 miles from port and Rotorua, one of New Zealand's great destinations with over 500 hot springs, is 48 miles from port.

Mount Maunganui gets its name from the iconic extinct volcano that sort of looms over town. Beneath the mountain are 2 walking options; walk the base or walk up the mountain. We decided that, based on my hinky anchilles tendon, we wouldn't be doing any mountain walk-ups and the base walk is lovely and filled with locals.

After leaving the ship, you see this gentle curved shoreline hugging Pilot Bay and it is filled not only with the Insignia, but with sailboats, container ships and small pleasure craft, some of which are pulled up onto the beach and turned upside down.

The shoreline has a lovely beach that would be totally safe for children but when we were there a safety drill for scuba divers and lifeguards was being held. Some of the people took turns being panicked and rescuers....it is great that they are skilled swimmers because they ain't actors!!

There is a really nice campground for people who wish to be close to the water and/or don't want to be in town in a hotel.

We left the harbor area and walked a few blocks west and ran into the ocean walk way! We felt right at home seeing the kite surfers. No board surfers were out, but then the surf wasn't really "up" so we understood why. Across the street and facing the ocean was a variety of pubs, bars and cafes.

We walked along the ocean promenade and then turned inland and found the town. It is filled with less souvenir shops than you might imagine but has a great variety of higher-end clothing stores both for the discriminating female and male shopper, and also for the backpackers, surfers, and hikers.

There were many stores selling merino wool items. Sweaters were priced at $300-400NZ and scarves were $50-60NZ. Not items I immediately think of when I think "beach town."

There were also several lovely home goods stores which would be great for furnishing one's beach house. Many of the beach houses were absolutely stunning, with very contemporary spaces and lots of floor to ceiling windows which of course one would want for the view! (I could see inside some of them!)

We walked and shopped, buying nothing, but enjoying ourselves until we noticed the ominous color of the skies. Hurrying towards the ship, we only made it part of the way and then the skies opened.

Rain fell side-ways, the wind pushed water across the streets, the drains quickly filled and spilled onto the streets making wading necessary. Several of the locals stood on benches beneath shelters.... that's experience in action!

I lasted about 15 minutes under shelter, getting soaked from the knees down because the poncho only descends so far, and decided that when the wind lessened a little I was taking off...which I did!

Mr. Wonderful said he would have waited a little longer but knew that he was carrying the original picture ID (read driver's license since we only had photocopied passports which isn't acceptable in NZ--make note of that!!) so he followed me.

Also note that they check your picture ID and your ship card EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Have your driver's license with you and if you don't drive, ask for your passport.

We had some people pulled off a shuttle bus because they didn't have their picture ID with them and were taken in a security car to the ship to get proof of ID....yes, the security people board the bus before the bus enters the dock area.

We got to just inside the security cabin at the dock when the winds came again. Normally, I walk faster than he walks, but he was striding out and I....was caught in the wind. Couldn't go forward...strangest darn thing...it was stronger than I was.

I finally made it to the gangway and hunching forward, made it up and into the door, just about running into a crew member who was on his way down to help me. Mr. Wonderful.....totally clueless!!

We changed clothes from the skin out, and ate a late lunch in Terrace. Several others came in afterwards looking very well groomed....they had to change clothes, too!

About an hour later it began to show patches of blue sky and the weather forecast says that it is to be nice tomorrow...and then turn rainy again. Our day in Auckland is supposed to be fine. I think the segmenters feel targeted...lost 2 ports to weather and now today!

This was really our first truly nasty day in 136 days at sea....a marvel when you consider it.

I haven't heard how the passengers fared in Rotorau. We visited there some years ago and didn't want a repeat. However, it is a great place to visit and I encourage you to go to New Zealand's version of Yellowstone Park.

This is a great little beach place to visit and we would have loved to stay in town and walk the beaches a bit longer but the skies ruled the day!

Floridiana--thanks for your nice comments.

Between the 2 of us, we have taken ~50,000 pictures in 136 days. He usually edits them every night and if we have time we can delete the worse offenders almost immediately.

Of course many of those are pictures that we have taken multiples of, hoping for 1 good one.

I take some from bus rides and I take many shots of the same thing so that we can get one that doesn't have the tree, telephone pole, or weird thing in it and sometimes I get lucky!!! Getting it in focus is often a challenge when I'm shooting quickly from the bus.

glad i didn't have to take this trip during the old roll of film days!

That was quite the weather you had at Mount Maunganui ... not surprising considering time of year and location on the east coast, but I'm glad we had a gorgeous day when we went there on our driving trip ... wouldn't have wanted to be caught at the summit of the mount ... beautiful views, but no protection from the elements on those paths.

Loved your pictures of Devonport. We took the same ferry you did, only we were there during their summer. We walked to the fort and all around the town. Fascinating place. Thanks for the pictures. Brought back lots of pleasant memories including eating at one of the many restaurants in Devonport.

May 19, 2016 Auckland, NZ

We docked at the wharf, as scheduled at 8am, within easy walking distance to downtown. No shuttle was needed or provided.

Many passengers decided to go to Waitomo to see the Glow Worm Grotto, to visit Kelly Tarlton's Sea Life Aquarium on their own or through a shorex or to Waiheke Island to visit a couple of vineyards through private tours or through shorex.

If you've never been to see the glow worms or the aquarium I highly recommend both. There is also a Hop On Hop Off bus and it cost $45.00NZ for an all day pass and can be found at Pier #1 at the ferry building.

We had been to Auckland before so we decided to ferry over to Devonport Island, a place we had not been to before. If you rent a bike, the bikes go free on the ferry.

We were berthed right by the ferry terminal so it was very easy to leave the ship before 9am, turn right and there was the ticket counter.

We caught a ferry for Devonport less than 10 minutes later and note that the ferry does leave right on time. Shortly after leaving the ferry building, look over your shoulder and take pictures of the skyline of Auckland....gorgeous

If you wanted to go to Waiheke Island, there is a ferry that leaves from the same building so it easy to get there.

Exiting the ferry building we turned right and began to follow a map that we had downloaded before leaving, but there are plenty of maps you can grab in the ferry building.

We chose to walk the King Edward Parade, which is a lovely walkway along the Bay, a downtown beachfront park named Flagstaff to honor its Naval history.

Here the British landed in 1840, with NO CONVICTS, and to mark the importance of the birthplace of the village of Devonport, a ship's flagstaff and plaque have been erected.

Continuing on we saw the Peace and Plenty Inn, a very charming inn on Flagstaff Terrace. It is a 5 star Victorian Inn with High Tea on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

Back onto the Parade we noticed the beach was covered by small black rocks and much larger black rocks protruded into water's edge. These are the result of Mount Victoria, which is in the center on the island, erupting many years ago sending lava into the harbor.

On the left, on a rise, was a beautiful pale yellow building that upon closer observation was 2 identical and attached villas used by the British Navy to house Women's Royal NZ Naval Service. Today one can rent an apartment here.

Continuing on down the waterfront we saw the Yacht Club, founded in 1905, a plaque that commemorates the shipbuilders of Devonport who worked in this area, and a very cute building, the Calliope Scout Hall, named after a ship that visited in 1845 and is used for community events.

The walkway continues on around Torpedo Bay to the Naval Museum and onto the North Head Historical Reserve considered to be the most significant historical coastal defense place in NZ.

We did not choose to go here but there is a self guided walk that includes a tunnel complex, gun emplacements, fortifications and sign posts for further explanations.

We walked up the walkways, of which there are several to Mount Victoria, to capture the views and since it was such a clear day, they were stunning.

Back off the hill we turned into Victoria Road, the commercial center of Devonport. On the left was the Picture Palace, "the earliest purpose built cinema still in existence in the southern hemisphere" (says my guide sheet) and continues that today.

Take a right onto Clarrence Street and see the Devonport Stone Oven Bakery which used to be the old telephone exchange.

Continue on down Clarrence Street until you get to Wynyard Street, on the left, and then on the right you will see a small white building called Devonport Chocolates.

And yes there is a plate there to sample the goodies....i had a small chunk of truffle...excellent! And we purchased 2 chocolate fish, because...well, they're famous. If one does something well, evidently you say, "you deserve a chocolate fish!" They are molded marshmellow covered in chocolate.

We chose one wrapped in orange foil and the other in aqua because it made for a cute picture we sent to a family member....we haven't tried the fish yet, but have no hopes of getting it back to the States.

We saw the BNZ bank building with the Patriot, a British themed pub, the Old Post office building next door, which is now a retail/office space and at the corner is the glorious Esplanade Hotel. It was built in 1903 and modeled on the English seaside hotels built then.

Across the street....is the ferry building.

Back onto the ferry for the trip in reverse, arrived at the ferry building, walked across the street and began to walk the main commercial streets of Auckland. We shopped, had a quick lunch at a local spot, walked down to the marina area to take more pictures to prove that Auckland is accurately named "The City of Sails."

The online weather people said less than 10% chance of rain, but we got sprinkled on at least twice but it didn't last. The day was cool and breezy and I'm sure the "segmenters" wonder if they are ever going to get a break on the weather.

Ok....could I live in Auckland? It is a lovely, big, spreadout city, without the history or coolness vibe that I got from Sydney.

Some passengers found Sydney too big, but I thought the opposite. The history seemed to reside in Devonport and the corporate interests in Auckland, whereas in Sydney, history and commercial all somehow seemed to work together.

I'm glad I got to see Auckland, it is beautiful, very multi-cultural, with seemingly huge numbers of vital young people and I'd be delighted to come again....but it isn't on my move-to list.

Perhaps, in summer I'd "warm" to it but I was ready to move on.....to the South Pacific Islands and beaches, catamarans, and tropical sun! (yes, "Doc S", I'll wear my sunscreen!)

Thanks for the info about Davenport Island; it sounds like a good alternate plan to have in our back pocket. At the moment, we are planning to do the Coast-to-Coast walk ... at least part of it ... when we call on Auckland next year. Last year we went to the Muriwai Gannet Colony and missed out on the city, so a nice long walk should help us see varied parts of the city.

Sunday May 22, 2016 At Sea

Several of the RTWers found themselves in Terrace at the same time this morning so we sat talked for over 2 hours. Yesterday was worse....we were at breakfast around 8am and at 11:15 we decided we should leave so that we could prepare ourselves for lunch!!

Today is day 140, which means we have 40 days left...and that counts May 23rd twice! We all remarked that we were making such great memories and thought perhaps life was going to be pretty dull when we return home.... particularly at breakfast it seems!!

Friday night was the Oceania Club Cocktail Party which we attended briefly and last night was the second one. There are so many passengers in the Club that the cocktail party is 2 nights. Having been invited to both, some of us carried our drinks upstairs to Horizons where it was quieter and we didn't have to listen to the same speeches again.

Today there are talks by Harry Chittick and Ken Beattie, different levels of bridge classes, blackjack tournament followed by Texas Hold'em tournament, bingo, RTW quilt project, golf, Artist Loft, table tennis, mah jongg, salsa dance class, baggo bean, mojito tasting, table tennis, afternoon tea, happy hour, Grant Galea: "the Dean Martin Story in Song," and a cooking demonstration with guest chef Tim Clark and Franck Garanger which everyone is excited about since it involves chocolate!!

We've also found out that afternoon team trivia today will be a challenge between officers and passengers.

Every day Ray likes to guess what the winning score will be just prior to the start of trivia. Usually that number is somewhere between 11-14. This is out of 15 questions, plus a bonus question that usually adds 1-4 extra points.

I saw him this morning in Terrace and expressed my dismay at bringing in young, highly knowledgeable officers who will know movies, music, and sports (which is the nice way of saying " Their brains work....ours?..... Not so much!")

His reply..."don't worry about them, I figure their high score will be a 4."

Knowing Ray, there will probably be some ringer in the officer staff that was on Jeopardy Champions Week!

I've compiled an A-Z list of places we've visited on this cruise and I've filled every single letter (thank heavens for "Queensland" (thanks Bruce!) "Xi'an" "Yangoon" and "Zanzibar" ) Many of the letters have numerous entries.

Some of the passengers have asked for the list. One is going to make wall art, another is going to make a photo book, and I'm going to make a pillow top, and perhaps a child's book starring pelican pictures we've taken....we'll see. (yes, family...another pillow top!)

As you can tell, we're all doing well, there are mutterings about having to "ease up on desserts," and we're all still having fun. I'd say that O has a great success story with RTW16. I'm thrilled that I'm here!

cbb - your posts are the most informative and entertaining. Thank you! I found them very helpful for planning our future travels. And I'm happy for you being a part of the RTW cruise. The dream comes through...

Olga

I agree with your last statement CBB ... O indeed has a success story with 2016 ... now they just need to maintain that story with the RTW's they have announced for the next two years.

If I might digress just a bit to send a message out to the 2017 RTWers and Segmenters ... we seem to have a roll call link problem using the "Find Your Roll Call" tool (reported to CC, but no action yet to fix). I imagine that many 2017ers are following this thread for the valuable insight Cynthia has been sharing -- so if you're lurking here, do come and join us in the roll call. Here's the link.

And now returning this thread to its regularly scheduled programming.

cbb - your posts are the most informative and entertaining. Thank you! I found them very helpful for planning our future travels. And I'm happy for you being a part of the RTW cruise. The dream comes through...

Olga

Yes, your blog and Wayne's as well are also helpful to someone planning a land tour. Of New Zealand in our case. Looking forward to hearing about both your 23 May days next.

emmachisit....

girl, make sure you go to South Island and see Te Anau, get a hotel on the Lake, and also drive from Queensland to either Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound. Drop dead gorgeous!

I think you said you'd done the fiords by boat before but what a neat thing to do again.

having enjoyed Monday 23rd (day 141) so much in Samoa we're doing it again

in American Samoa!

emmachisit....

girl, make sure you go to South Island and see Te Anau, get a hotel on the Lake, and also drive from Queensland to either Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound. Drop dead gorgeous!

I think you said you'd done the fiords by boat before but what a neat thing to do again.

having enjoyed Monday 23rd (day 141) so much in Samoa we're doing it again

in American Samoa!

Ahhh….. New Zealand….what a lot of things they fit into a teensy little country! Have three weeks planned so far for the things we want to see in North Island alone - and starting to make bookings. South Island still fluid, ….

Will be interested in the reports and pictures on the Samoas. Thought Pago Pago was a beautiful place to sail into when on a cruise from San Francisco to Sydney back in 2009. Maybe you found our day which was lost back then, Sunday 11 October? If so, would like it back please – need all the days I can get at my age.