Uber from MIA Hotel to Port

ChrisCJSU

Has anyone had any experience using Uber from a MIA Airport Hotel to the Port of Miami? How long did it take for the car to arrive? How much did you pay for the trip? I'm trying to weigh all the options for transportation from our pre-cruise hotel to the port for my upcoming cruise on the Escape. Thanks!

Do you have an address of the hotel

We used Uber last year from a hotel on the west side of the airport in Miami and the ride took 28 minutes and cost $20. You receive an email with all the fare breakdown showing you how long the ride took, what tolls were paid, etc. When I started the request the car arrived in 3 minutes. It was our first time using it and we were enchanted! Just watch on the real time map as the car gets closer and closer to you. Your screen tells you the driver's car make, tag number, the driver's name and picture.

Now we tried to get one in reverse at the pier. The screen showed our location incorrectly as MacArthur Causeway. We were actually on America Way or Cruise Blvd or something. We had activated the app outside the terminal but under a concrete awning. My husband said next time he'll cross the street and it should have better reception out in the open. If not I guess we could manually put in our location as something like, Port of Miami, Terminal D. So we got in the cab line. The cab ride back to the same hotel to pick up our car was over $50.

If the service is above average, I do. Was just in dallas, the driver had cold bottled water, chargers set up for all major phone types and a printed list of local attractions and restaurants available. That deserves a tip.

I hand a few bucks and tell em its for a coffee reload or whatever.

Who in the world tips uber? That is the whole point.

Used Uber in MIA for my last cruise. My sister found a promotion. We downloaded the App on our phone and was able to receive a free first ride!

When we arrived in MIA my sister got us driver through the App and he arrived within 15-20 minutes. The driver was friendly and had a really nice car.

Used UBER from Hilton at MIA to the port and was the same cost as a cab. However, it was Uber XL and the SUV was really nice. He was there in less than 10 mins.

According to him, they are prohibited to pick up from the Port of Miami, but they do anyways as they rarely get caught. It's really something hard to police as many of them do not attach the UBER sticker to their front windshield.

No reason not to use UBER if you have never used it before. There are tons of promos online to get a free first ride or at least have a chunk of it deducted with a promo coupon.

Generous people who receive five star service. I drove as one and at the jersey shore in the summer. A lot of people tip. Do you tip the porter at the port that loads your suitcases on your cruise ? Do you know that some of them make $35 -$50 and hour before tips? There are signs in one port that they do. People still tip. So what's different with uber ??? Because the app says not too? Don't be cheap. The fare is way cheaper than a cab and your not driving in a dirty car. These people mostly work this full time and are hard workers. A tip is generous gesture. End of rant.

I am certainly a very generous tipper when it comes to all sorts of things like restaurants, bars, all the normally places/people one would normally tip. When it comes to UBER I use it because it is cashless. It's all paid through the app and no money changes hands. The system is setup so that they are paid a decent wage without the assistance of a tip. If they thought that they were not making enough, UBER could implement a way for me to tip via the app. They have not done that and specifically say that drivers should not accept a tip. I do not normally carry cash so I use UBeR all the time because regular taxis are hard to find that accept cards and the ones that do (in my city) still use the old carbon copy method. And well, screw that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just spent the night at the Miami Hilton Downtown before our cruise last weekend, on a stay and cruise rate. Great location, nice hotel and shuttle to the port of Miami about 5 minutes away! I highly recommend that.

Hi.We are also staying at the Miami Hilton Downtown.I have never been to Miami before so looking forward to staying there even if it's just for one day.

I am certainly a very generous tipper when it comes to all sorts of things like restaurants, bars, all the normally places/people one would normally tip. When it comes to UBER I use it because it is cashless. It's all paid through the app and no money changes hands. The system is setup so that they are paid a decent wage without the assistance of a tip. If they thought that they were not making enough, UBER could implement a way for me to tip via the app. They have not done that and specifically say that drivers should not accept a tip. I do not normally carry cash so I use UBeR all the time because regular taxis are hard to find that accept cards and the ones that do (in my city) still use the old carbon copy method. And well, screw that.

I'm telling you they don't make a decent amount of money in all areas. If I had to be on it full time I'd be filling bankruptcy. Don't forget this is a company that is international. Maybe they don't tip where the founder set this up. Yes it's cashless but carry a couple of bucks and throw the driver a tip if they deserve it. Lyft allows tips online. Maybe uber will catch on. Uber taxi allows a tip but all other platforms don't. Don't know why. I always tip them min 5 bucks. So a min trip is 5.60 to some riders. Do you know that the driver only makes about 3 bucks for that trip. Remember it's their personal car, gas , insurance, maintance and wear and tear. You honestly think in the long run that's a fare wage ? To maintain a new car too??? Comeon , seriously ?

Residence Inn Miami Airport

1201 NW 42nd Ave

Miami, FL 33126

On the xl platform it says $20-26 dollars. Uber x is probably about $15. Still cheaper than a cab. FYI. If you need a code for a free $15 let me know if you never used it before.

Not Uber (but thought I'd mention it), the taxis have a "flat rate" from the airport to the cruise port, currently it's $27. I'm pretty sure you need to request the rate when you get picked up:

http://www.miami-airport.com/hotel_shuttles.asp

Be careful if you use a taxi. I used one the last time I went to the MIA port. They'll have their rate posted in dashboard. I was lucky enough to sit right in front of the post that said the ride was a flat $xx (I don't remember exactly how much it was). The driver tried to tell us the price was per person, despite the sign that clearly said it was not. He said that was old and outdated, but after my insistence on the rules posted, he gave in and gave what was the posted price.

Moral of the story: look at the prices posted if there are any!

I'm telling you they don't make a decent amount of money in all areas. If I had to be on it full time I'd be filling bankruptcy. Don't forget this is a company that is international. Maybe they don't tip where the founder set this up. Yes it's cashless but carry a couple of bucks and throw the driver a tip if they deserve it. Lyft allows tips online. Maybe uber will catch on. Uber taxi allows a tip but all other platforms don't. Don't know why. I always tip them min 5 bucks. So a min trip is 5.60 to some riders. Do you know that the driver only makes about 3 bucks for that trip. Remember it's their personal car, gas , insurance, maintance and wear and tear. You honestly think in the long run that's a fare wage ? To maintain a new car too??? Comeon , seriously ?

From the drivers that I have spoken with (at least in my area), some of which are personal friends, they do make a decent wage, but most of them like yourself do not do it full time. In terms of how it breaks down hourly...it's about $20-25 per hour. Like I said, I rarely carry cash so unless it becomes the norm to tip UBER and they provide a means to do it via the app then I don't know what to tell you.

We used Uber for the very first time from the Marriott (I think Springhill) Airport South to the Port of MIA. Get a friend that uses uber or death online for a referral and you get something like a $20 credit your first use and every time you refer someone else. This more than covers the trip in an Uber standard. The hotel was offering bus shuttle for $18 a person so it's a no brainer to take private Uber for half the cost (or Free) for first timers.

Has anyone had any experience using Uber from a MIA Airport Hotel to the Port of Miami? How long did it take for the car to arrive? How much did you pay for the trip? I'm trying to weigh all the options for transportation from our pre-cruise hotel to the port for my upcoming cruise on the Escape. Thanks!

I had my Global Entry interview on a Sunday at MIA which I scheduled to coincide with our cruise. After we checked into the cruise, I left my family on the Getaway and took Uber to MIA.

From the port to MIA and back via UberX was about $13.00 each way. Took less than 25 mins each way.

After our cruise , we took an UberXLto MIA because there was 4 of us with luggage. It was $26.00 and took less than 25 min.

Don't forget this is a company that is international. Maybe they don't tip where the founder set this up.

Uber is as American as it can get and started offering rides in San Francisco, maybe there is no tipping culture there as you say...

Also, tipping has nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle, that at least is a part of the service description and therefore clean and recent model car it is not worth tipping, it is expected.

I have no idea how much an Uber driver makes. But whether the wage is high or low - the driver is the one to make the call whether they drive for Uber or not. And they make that decision knowing that the standard policy is that they won't get tips on top of their "cut".

Be careful if you use a taxi. I used one the last time I went to the MIA port. They'll have their rate posted in dashboard. I was lucky enough to sit right in front of the post that said the ride was a flat $xx (I don't remember exactly how much it was). The driver tried to tell us the price was per person, despite the sign that clearly said it was not. He said that was old and outdated, but after my insistence on the rules posted, he gave in and gave what was the posted price.

Moral of the story: look at the prices posted if there are any!

Yes - the link I posted is the "official" word on the matter. It sounds like it's common in Miami for the taxi driver to try to use the meter, instead of the flat rate.

But I'll be using the flat rate! I guess if the driver squawks about it - I'll record their number and go to another cab...

UBER drivers typically arrive within 5 - 8 minutes of being called. Their fare is usually less than a cab, so in your case about $20 to the port, plus any gratuity you wish to leave. You do not pay the driver, it is all done through your UBER account, you set up payment options when you create your account.

You are correct if going from airport to the pier but when we were picked up from a Miami airport hotel to the ship they used the meter which came about about the same as the flat rate.

Maybe we just got hosed?

Bill

The ride from a hotel to the port is not a flat fee unless you negotiate it ahead of time, it is a metered trip.